• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.338 vs .50 BMG

Ender20

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
E-town, Ky
I am looking to buy either a .338 or .50 BMG rifle. I have fired both at a local range. Any suggestions, pro's or con's about which is more reliable, accurate? Also what about reloading cost for each? Thanks for any help.

Re: .338 vs .50 BMG

the 50 is way less expensive to shoot than the .338 Lapua Mag for ball ammo.

Can still find ball ammo at $2.50 to $3.00 a round.. if you find .338 Lapua Mag for that pm me I'd be in for quite a bit...

well for me the 338LM is less expensive for many reasons:

1- 338 can be loaded on every day gear that most reloaders already have.... BMG reloading gear is specific and very costly
2- if loading for precision 338 bullets can be had FAR cheaper than 50
3- 338 uses far less than 1/2 the powder per round
4- brass is a non issue as there is big difference between the two in the long run

in addition to the above 338 can be shot everywhere and be used with 3/8 AR500 at any distance. Try shooting a 50 at 3/8 AR500 inside 1k. I can tell you at 600 yards it puts some huge dents and deforms the hell out of the plate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ender20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to buy either a .338 or .50 BMG rifle. I have fired both at a local range. Any suggestions, pro's or con's about which is more reliable, accurate? Also what about reloading cost for each? Thanks for any help. </div></div>

A few questions.
Is this your first precision platform? If it is step away from the keyboard and reconsider the question.
What is your goal?

There are two advantages to owning a .50BMG
1) Because you still can
2) You intend to have some style of “payload” on the round

Other than that the .338LM pretty much eats its lunch.
1) Accuracy
2) Factory match Ammo
3) Cost once you begin reloading. Everybody who is comparing Ball .50BMG (at $3.00+ per round) to .338LM (match ammo) is comparing apples to pineapples.

The overpressure on a .50BMG in almost any platform (AR-50, Barrett, etc) is a absolute tiger by the tail if you shoot with friends they will not be your friend for long (.338LM still does bark, just not the same).

You can't compare match grade ammo to that of ball mil surplus ammo. I have yet to see match grade 50 cal projectiles for less then a dollar a round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: esromvre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 50 is way less expensive to shoot than the .338 Lapua Mag for ball ammo.

Can still find ball ammo at $2.50 to $3.00 a round.. if you find .338 Lapua Mag for that pm me I'd be in for quite a bit... </div></div>

You are comparing ball ammo to match ammo....apples and pineapples

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
in addition to the above 338 can be shot everywhere and be used with 3/8 AR500 at any distance. Try shooting a 50 at 3/8 AR500 inside 1k. I can tell you at 600 yards it puts some huge dents and deforms the hell out of the plate. </div></div>

I can tell from my experience that shooting the 338LM in less than 500 yards will leave significant dents in the 3/8" AR500 targets. I also can tell you that my 50 BMG FMJ will make serious dents in 3/8 AR500 at 1K also.

dksd39 makes a very good point

If you already have reloading gear OR intend on buy a caliber in the future other than .50bmg and intend to reload for that as well, you can use the same reloading gear.

However if you want to own, say a .308 or 6mmBR for comps and general practice, you would need a reloading press for that AND another reloading press for the 50bmg... Also, dont forget all of your comparitors and guages and stuff, most of which have a seperate set purely made for the .50bmg.

For me its a no brainer simply because i cant own a .50bmg in my country, however a .338LM I can, plus i can use my current reloading gear for it... all i need to buy is a modified case from Hornady, and a comparitor body for my LNL guage kit and im good to go... whats that cost? $30? Plus dies

As much as i would love to own a 50 cal its only so i can say, "because i can"... other than that it has no real value to me other than just looking awesome in my safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can tell from my experience that shooting the 338LM in less than 500 yards will leave significant dents in the 3/8" AR500 targets. I also can tell you that my 50 BMG FMJ will make serious dents in 3/8 AR500 at 1K also. </div></div>

cant say what you are shooting or how your steel is mounted but I shoot hand loader 250gr Lapua LB and my shooting partner shots Black Hills factory 300gr and with over 2k rounds in 6 months we have not seen any significant damage to our AR500 plates. We have 1/2" at 100 and 200 and 3/8" every hundred yards from 300 out to 1k. Also we are not seeing any damage to 3/8" at 1k with our 50 shooting factory Hornady rounds. Just for kicks we shot the round 1/2" plate that is hanging at 200 yards and all it did was spin it several times and did almost no damage...far less damage than we see at 600...but that is because the 200 plate is small and swings much easier than the 18x24 plate at 600. The added weigh of the larger plate causes the plate to show more damage.

just for kicks...here is a pic of part of our range.. the steel is always up but to keep it clean we only put up paper as needed. This shows from 200 out to 1 mile. Permanent steel every hundred out to 1k then we set out unknown distance steel as needed out to 1 mile. The white spec on the left center of the pic is our 1 mile berm.
range-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: esromvre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now I could be wrong.. but I don't belive that I have ever seen anything but match grade ammo for the Lapua.

That being said I am comparing readily available ammo. </div></div>
I have to say this was my perspective too. I was recently looking into getting a 338 LM rifle and I don't currently have brass or other components to reload it so my comments were form that standpoint. I was looking at it purely from the position of initial expense.

To answer the question, with my opinion, get the .338 Lapua Mag.
You will enjoy the .338 better than the .50

Its lighter, more versatile, more accurate and a little more shoulder friendly.

Cheers
wink.gif

It really depends on what you are trying to do.
A fifty is real fun to shoot but carries a stigma with it resultant of ignorance. Many ranges are not .50 friendly (communist pieces of crap)!
The big fifty is a LOT of fun to shoot! There is not much of a comparison to that! It will attract a lot of people on the range. I like to let people shoot my fifty so that they can learn about it and see how much fun they are to shoot.
The fifty has a wide variety of military type ammunition available, ball, AP, API, spotter tracer (cool stuff), tracer. Outside of the military stuff you start getting a bit more limited however there are still choices such as AMAX and some others.
The set up for reloading on the fifty is more expensive. I'm looking at getting my setup together when I return from Iraq (the Iraq saving plan) dependent on my other projects, .300WM build, 74 Bronco rebuild, Italy trip, couple more lenses for my Nikon D700, another motorcycle, a suppressor and either a M1A or a DPMS or a bolt .308 which is all dependent on mama!
The fifty is an easy rifle to shoot at 1K. I did the 1000 yard qualifier at Tac Pro with the only problem of the scope having to be locktite'd together and the rings to makeit happen with the key lesson of don't buy cheap rings and a cheap scope! This was of course prior to putting on an improved muzzle break design for the fifty.

The .338 Lapua would be a nice rifle to have! But once again it is dependent on what you want to do?
I do not have a .338 but I would like to own so so outside of what I have heard I really can't give you any advice on this rifle.

Good luck and either way I don't think that you will go wrong!
If youdo get into the fifty then check out Biggerhammer and the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association.

Very Respectfully,
Stefan

Thanks for all the imput. About ranges I am 14 miles from Knob Creek Gun Range 50BMG heaven. I currently shoot National Match AR at 600yds. Just got a Remy 700 .308 built by Geofry Corn in IN built for 1,000yards. Looking for something just as accurate but with a little more range. I have a Dillon 550 and reload .308 & .223. What do you all thing of the Remington 700 in .338 I hear the only falt is how hard they are to get, whats the opinion of the group?

I shoot both 50 and 338LM-alot. My vote would be for a 338LM. Reloading a 50BMG is more work. "Quality" components are getting tougher to source. Shooting surplus projectiles is fun for informal plinking,but if you are looking for .5 moa accuracy-buy a 338LM.

If you keep you eyes on the sales forum-338LM's are usually for sale. There are 3 lower budget 338LM's available. 1)Armalite AR30 2)The new Savage 3)Remington. Of the 3,the barrels on 1 and 2 are better IMO-but guys that have bought the Remington have been satisfied.

50BMG is fun to shoot-no doubt. But it is easier to attain extreme long range accuracy with a 338LM and varients of the 408CT. The 375/408 becoming quite the long range tool of choice.

Have fun.