Range Report 357 maximum

Checking my set-up yesterday
Surprisingly accurate with 158 gr. SJHP and 180 gr. cast both with W296
max setup.jpg

The threaded brake keeps the flys away!

• Love
Reactions: Rocketvapor
.357 Maximum is my favorite caliber for Contender. My brother has one and scoped it is as accurate as any rifle at 100 yards with the right load. I just wish I had picked up a barrel for myself when I had the chance. I took a doe in Michigan at about 125 yards with a 158gr semiwadcutter a number of years back while at his place. It’s a perfect round for that purpose.

Now he uses the newer 140gr leverevolution bullets in it and those work great for the Max.

Reactions: gemihur
It's a cartridge of phenomenal design by Elgin Gates back in the '70's.
Dan Wesson 360 DW can also be utilized in this chamber along with all those mentioned in the preceding video.
It's one of my favorite handgun cartridges, championed recently by Mike Bellm for the TC break-actions.
I think the original posting is the best!

Reactions: lash
It's a cartridge of phenomenal design by Elgin Gates back in the '70's.
Dan Wesson 360 DW can also be utilized in this chamber along with all those mentioned in the preceding video.
It's one of my favorite handgun cartridges, championed recently by Mike Bellm for the TC break-actions.
I think the original posting is the best!
I’ve been the the Mike Bellm site in the past. I notice that the link you posted is an archived page from 2016. Do you happen to know if Mike is still doing this or has a current website?

Have you used his chambering in your .357 Max or do you use someone else’s chamber?

Reactions: gemihur
He's still got a site: https://www.bellmtcs.com/
Going strong with son, Kurt. Still an advocate for the 357 maximum and now involved with the 350 Legend.
I've got a couple of different maximum barrels and shoot 'em all.
I prefer his work in rechambering. David White would be another highly recommended gunsmith for TC's : https://www.precisionriflesmith.com/categories
The only reason I refer to the archived version is that it's not so 'politically correct' as much web posting of today tends to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash