• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 4-16x PST viper second focal plane problem

Justinsaneok

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Ok
Zeroed this thing shot great groups last time I was out. I only shot at 100y and made a few shots to 300y and 500y . I had a few good groups and then some shots that didn't make any sense. 500y hit hit hit hit miss? Back to 300y miss miss miss miss target stand ? Wtf?

Was waiting on zero stop shims so I was 3 mils from zero stops. Habbit made me turn down to the zero stops last time I went out shooting to make sure I was at zero and I forgot how far I was over the stops. Poop. So I re zeroed the gun.

I chased the one inch dot up and down and left to right. Thinking I was having a retard moment I asked my shooting buddy to babysit me to rule out operator error. Wasn't me. Keep in mind this whole time this bad boy is on 16x power. Zero windage, some how got 1 solid mill off zero to the right. Move one mill to correct it moves two mills left. WTF

Zero elevation, same as windage I'm 2 mills low so I move 2 mils up scope moves 4 mills up from last impact. Wtf?

Scope was on 16x this whole time shooting. In between range sessions I had changed magnifications. It seems like the magnification are changing. I did not however range the known target board size to check the reticle for accuracy before I left.

What am I doing wrong here?

I had this problem on my pst ebr sfp send it back..got it fix sold it..and bought SIII. if you u think this is bad get the pst 6-24 where aftrr 15power scope almost useless.. tracking is what the scope worth.. medium price scope? I use to think pst best bang.. return it get it fix sell it save extra bucks and get nf or something in the same league. Sightron not too bad..i still have 2 vortex one pst 1-4 fir my race gun AR15 and one viper xl for my annies .22lr.. i dont know if i can trust this scope again to shoot precision

I guess Ill get on that. I just hope it gets fixed right the first time. I'm getting deployed and don't have time for the mail game or wasting money on ammo.

Last edited:
My viper does the same exact thing. At 100yds if I need 2MOA right I have to dial 1. If I need 1 I dial a half. I cant trust the turrets so I have to guess on holdover because it has a mil reticle. Bummer.

Almost forgot that the lighted reticle will not work randomly. I thought it got turned on and changed the batteries but it's corrected by pulling the battery out and putting it back in. Every time it sits I need to do this. Yes I tighten the cap.

Talked to Brian at vortex. He asked if I had a fedex location near by, I don't. So I paid 42$ to get it there by today shipped by usps. I'm getting deployed anytime so hoping it will make it back in time in working condition.