• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

4 groups With .308 700 SPS-V

doubs43

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2010
GA
Here are four groups of 5 shots each fired at 104 yards. These are the loads that have showed the most promise with 3 shot groups so I loaded up 10 rounds of each. I only had time to shoot the four groups shown. All four loads show promise.

Remington 700 SPS-V .308 in B&C 2A Tactical stock. Otherwise, 100% factory 700. EGW 20 MOA base, Warne Maxima rings and a 6.5~20x50 Vortex Viper scope. All cartridges loaded to 2.800" with 168 SMK bullets in R-P cases & Wolf LR primers.

308SPS-VGroups26Aug10.jpg

Re: 4 groups With .308 700 SPS-V

Those look promising. Try 42gr of RE15 next time, keep all else the same. Its the Sierra manuals accuracy load and has produced excellent groups in both my SPS-T's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work, I am thinking I would work with that Varget load, maybe seating the bullet out a little in .005 increments. You should be able to get to 2.815 with the internal box.

Did you happen to get any velocity readings, or just shooting for groups?

Kirk R </div></div>

I'm going to try one more group with each load. All four loads have given me excellent 3 shot groups and all of the 5 shot groups would be under .75 MOA at 100 yards. When I decide on the final load, I'll do as you suggest and try different OALs to fine tune everything.

None of them have been over a chronograph yet but I'm trying to stay between 2500 & 2600 FPS. I'll measure my final load when the time comes.

My biggest problem is the constant heat here. It was 90 degrees when I shot these groups. I waited 3 minutes between shots and then allowed the barrel to cool between groups. I was on the range quite awhile. We've been in the mid-high 90's constantly for the past six weeks... miserable weather for shooting groups. I take drinks and a book to read while I wait. It was "The Hunting Rifle" by Jack O'Connor today.
smile.gif

my rifle loved 42.5 of re-15 and the 168s. maybe play with the powder charge +/- .1 before playing with seating depth, see what happens. did you go any higher with the re-15? my next accuracy node with the 168s came around 44 grains

Thanks for the links to the targets!

Why are you so worried about barrel heat? Consistency? I let my barrel get pretty damn hot, and it doesn't seem to negatively effect accuracy at all.

Nice shooting and thanks for the target links. Try 40.5 grains of 4895. My brother constanly get 0.5" 100 yards 5 shot groups with his SPS and this load with 168 SMK's

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and suggestions. All of them are appreciated.

My goal is to shoot .5 MOA groups. I'm under .75 MOA now but the final .020" or so will be a challenge. That RE-15 group has 4 in a tight group but one that blows it. It's probably MY fault and I'm certainly not blaming the rifle.

With regard to barrels and heat, I try to keep it within reason to prevent throat erosion. When the barrel becomes too hot to touch, that's hot enough and it often only takes 5 shots to do that on a 90 degree day. As cooler weather arrives, I'll alter my shooting habits a bit and fire more often.

I shot more 5 shot groups today and I'm pretty much sold on 42.5 grains of H-4895 and the 168 grain SMK bullet. It turned in a .525" group today and RE-15 was second with a .765" group. Varget and WW-748 didn't do nearly as well as they did yesterday. Maybe it's me but looking back over all my data, H-4895 has been the most consistent. It also shoots extremely well in my .223 so I can now lay in a stock of it to use in both rifles.

Again, thanks to everyone who has replied. The wealth of experience here has helped me as I did an extensive search for load data before I began group testing to narrow my choices down to the four loads.

This is my first time posting on this forum, I love this topic. As flyboy stated,I have the best luck starting with 42gr of RL-15 out of my SPS Tac 308. I also have great results with 42gr of Varget. Before I would change anything else with those loads, I would switch to a better primer and try again. My best to date was about a .560 group off the bag with a CCI 200 and 42gr of RL-15 and I know the combo would do better with a more experienced shooter. The 168 amax and 175 SMK seem to shoot better but POI changes a bit.