• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

408 Cheytac load data

scifri44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Arizona
Recommended Load Data for 408/419 gr. Solid Projectiles

Projectile 419 gr. solid copper
Powder RL-25
Max Load 131.5 grains
Cartridge Overall Length 4.303 inches
Primer Magnum Large Rifle
Average Velocity 2,886 fps - 2,900

Recommended Load Data for 408/305 gr. Solid Projectiles

Projectile 305 gr. solid copper
Powder RL-22
Max Load 136.0 grains
Cartridge Overall Length 4.100 inches
Primer Magnum Large Rifle
Average Velocity 3,200 fps

To all reloaders. Just nice info from Jamison International!

Re: 408 Cheytac load data

Yup, that's a very stiff load on the 419. My 419gr load was 129gr of RL25 and that's right at the very edge of the pressure limit. Don't waste your time with the 305gr solid - it costs the same and is a niche bullet - designed specifically as an extremely flat shooting sub-1000 yard round. Beyond that point they just fall out of the sky rapidly.

Your right . Its a very hot load . I personally use 126.5 RL-25 . But I only loaded that once before . Since I work overseas , I don't have much time to reload ... I got that data from the Jamison International website. hopefully I will soon . Picacho,AZ is where i go to shoot .

Just a bit North of you. Chandler. Steve123 is from Flagstaff. He als has a 375 CT. I am looking to build one myself, as soon as the money situation is sorted out. Currently, I shoot my 300 WM and 338LM.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">That 131.5 load data is wrong!!!! </span></span>
I got the same data sheet. Jamison told me not to use it.

Put it in QL and the PSI came out at <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">77,921</span></span>

From what I understand the 130.0 to 131.5 is the military only load, it destroys the brass which they figure will only be used once. It is also Chey Tac military Rifle Specific. Not sold to the civilian market. Something to do with their barrel design???????

The .408-419 Gn. Chey Tac Factory civilian load is 128.525 Gn. R-25 (on box flap) and that load is way hot enough!
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">CCI-250 Primers</span></span>.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">If you use Fed 215 primers back off the load (hotter primers).</span></span>

I am loading 125.0 R-25
Fed-215 primers only (had miss fires with Rem and CCI)
400 Gn. Barnes hybrid bore rider, brass solid
2813 FPS 30" M-96 Windrunner

If anyone has any more current information I would appreciate it. Still learning.

I second the 131.5 or Re 25 is too hot! I have gone up the 126 and that is on the edge of too much pressure and ruining brass. I changed and went to Retumbo. Worked the load up from 122 to 136. The case is now more full, better accuracy, longer case life. Fed 215m primer.
Guther

DesertHK

Thats not bad man ! I don't know if you can . But the superstition mountains off the I-60 going towards globe . You might be able to shoot some distance. I also shoot a 300 WM

I know this is back from the dead but I just picked up an EDM and was wondering if anyone else worked anything up besides RL-25 and Retumbo. I know RL powders tend to be temp sensitive and I would like to stay away from them if possible.

Some guys are using H1000 to push the 419s. Not sure what charge weights though. You know, this situation is exactly what Quickload excels at. Put in the bullet and velocity you want then it will spit out a powder list with charge weights to choose from.

So whats the latest word on the .408 CHEY-TAC. I finally received a THOR XM-408 in August. Is this gonna be a one hit wonder? I think it is a hell of a round, although cost prohibitive. I haven't shot it much, but it seems promising. Any info would be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So whats the latest word on the .408 CHEY-TAC. I finally received a THOR XM-408 in August. Is this gonna be a one hit wonder? I think it is a hell of a round, although cost prohibitive. I haven't shot it much, but it seems promising. Any info would be appreciated.</div></div>
CheyTac is no more. They went tits up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From what I understand the 130.0 to 131.5 is the military only load, it destroys the brass which they figure will only be used once. It is also Chey Tac military Rifle Specific. Not sold to the civilian market. Something to do with their barrel design???????
</div></div>
The only difference in barrel design is the way the rifling groves the bullet. Part of the controlled spin technology. Otherwise I think it is more of a marketing ploy to take it to a ragged edge for performance and a government check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So whats the latest word on the <span style="font-weight: bold">.408 CHEY-TAC</span>. I finally received a THOR XM-408 in August. Is this gonna be a one hit wonder? I think it is a hell of a <span style="font-weight: bold">round</span>, although cost prohibitive. I haven't shot it much, but it seems promising. Any info would be appreciated.</div></div>
CheyTac is no more. They went tits up.
</div></div>

I think he asked about the cartridge, not the company.

Can't wait to build mine out on a stiller action.

The OP needs to edit the info in the first post or there could be trouble for someone who doesn't read the entire thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So whats the latest word on the .408 CHEY-TAC. I finally received a THOR XM-408 in August. Is this gonna be a one hit wonder? I think it is a hell of a round, although cost prohibitive. I haven't shot it much, but it seems promising. Any info would be appreciated.</div></div>

What info do you want? The cartridge is good to go, though most of us have moved on to .375CT as it is ballistically superior and has a wider availability of bullets. Right now there's a shortage of components as the best source, Jamison, has gone under.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I just found 2 5lb containers of RL25 that I forgot I had. And since I’m down to about 15lbs of Retumbo I would like to use the RL25. I have a stock Desert Tech HTI with a 29” barrel, Peterson brass and fed215M primers, and 420 grain RMB (Parker Productions) bullets

Is 131.5 grains of RL25 still max? I was thinking about starting at 120 grains and working up in 1-1/2 grain increments. Is 120 grains a safe starting point?

Does anyone have a list of reloading supplies for .408? First time cheytac owner and never reloaded before. But man, ammo for this caliber is scarce!!thanks for any redundancy

Last edited:
Starting from scratch so please bear w me. Press, dies, powder any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
IMG_0499.jpeg