• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Photos 43" Muskie

Re: 43" Muskie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A muskie? I have never heard of that kind of a fish. Is it a type of Gar? I thought you were holding a gar when I first saw the pic. It sure looks like it puts up a good fight. i bet that was fun to catch. </div></div>

This fish from what I know is part of the pike family. They are predator fish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A muskie? I have never heard of that kind of a fish. Is it a type of Gar? I thought you were holding a gar when I first saw the pic. It sure looks like it puts up a good fight. i bet that was fun to catch.</div></div>

It's actually called a Muskellunge. It is a member of the Pike family and is only found up north. They are known as the fresh water Barracuda for their aggressiveness. The world record is around 69 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, that is a big friggin' muskie! One of the meanest freshwater fishies around!

Not sure how true it is, but I remember hearing as a kid that they were a crossbreed of Pike and Walleye.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, that is a big friggin' muskie! One of the meanest freshwater fishies around!

Not sure how true it is, but I remember hearing as a kid that they were a crossbreed of Pike and Walleye.</div></div>

Definatly not true.

George,

Nice job!
I have been a Muskie hunter for several years now.
Biggest I boated was caught on a figure 8 with a Bucher Bucktail.
She almost too me out of the boat.
Good job putting her back too.

Nice fish George, I've been fishing here in northwestern WI for all of my life and I've only managed to land just a few muskies and one tiger muskie. My best was 38" on a mepps muskie killer and my best through the ice was a 34" tiger muskie. So, you got me whipped by a bit! Awesome pic's and good job releasing her!

THAT looks like a Wisconsin Muskie...maybe around Hayward ?

The only other fishing disease I've noted that gets a guy as jacked as Musky is native Brown and Brook Trout in spring fed streams and rivers. That and Steelhead in the Brule in the early Spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">she was set free, im going to post a couple more </div></div>

Hi George,

Awesome fish!!

Set free??? You mean no one put a "9" in it's melon?

Take care,
Darin

Awesome George.

Are you going to design and build precision fishing gear now?

My Crusader shoots like a dream. So far 1.6" group of 5 from the bench at 400 yards.

Sweet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, that is a big friggin' muskie! One of the meanest freshwater fishies around!

Not sure how true it is, but I remember hearing as a kid that they were a crossbreed of Pike and Walleye.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, that is a big friggin' muskie! One of the meanest freshwater fishies around!

Not sure how true it is, but I remember hearing as a kid that they were a crossbreed of Pike and Walleye.</div></div>

Definatly not true. </div></div>

The cross breed is called a tiger musky. They dont usually get as large, but they have awsome colors. they look like a tigerstriped pike. the only prob is that they cannot reproduce

Nice musky! Top water is exciting for these bad boys. About like jaws and they will hit at the boat and scare the shit out of you. Musky fishing is extremely addicting.