• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.45 acp loading equipment

Re: .45 acp loading equipment

Loading pistol does not require the detail that rifle does. A progressive press is most efficient, but if you are gonna run a single stage, just about any carbide die should work fine. I use dillon dies for .45.

I have die sets from both RCBS and LEE. No clear favorite.

Whoever you go with, make sure you get carbide, and in my opinion, the LEE Factory Crimp die is a must have for every pistol round.

You don't have to worry about trimming or lubing or anything like that with pistol rounds.

Just stay with carbide dies so you don't have to lube. I have been on a l-n-l
progressive hornady for 15 years and have no complaints. With the bullet deal
they are a pretty good buy.

I have many thousands of 45 rounds logged on a RockChucker. But the Dillon XL650 is the best thing I have ever used for a 45. That also includes several Lee Pro 1000 presses. Pick a good clean load and a good feeding bullet and stick with it.

Good luck.

I have the Lee Carbide dies for .40 and that turned out to be an excellent choice. I use the Forster Co-Ax myself and those dies work great, but you're not going to crank out nearly as many rounds per hour. Then again, you're not buying another press. If you do feel the single press is too slow for you, then your next purchase is a Dillon.

I load all my pistol ammo on a Lee Turret with auto index. I batch size my cases on a Lee single stage, or on the turret with the indexing rod pulled, hand prime, and toss em in a coffee can for a rainy day. When its time to load, I fire up the turret, 1st stage is expanding the neck- powder drop, 2nd stage is bullet seating, 3rd stage is Lee Factory Crimp die with a very slight crimp. About 200rds in a half hour if I take my time.

I always lube the cases, even with carbide dies.
I reloaded rifle ammo using a Lee Classic Cast (single stage) and a Lyman DPS powder dispenser for years, and life was good.
After getting a Dillon though, I have to admit that the sound of a new round hitting the loaded ammo bin at every stroke of the handle, can be awfully addictive
wink.gif

I gave it a try to reloading pistol ammo on a single stage, long time ago, but it was way too slow for my taste, for the amount of rounds I usually shoot with an handgun.

Dillon dies in a 550B. I have probably loaded 100K or so of them in the last few years. No issues at all. You can load about 400-500 per hour of 45acp thru the 550. It is the easist caliber I have loaded thru the 550.

As a progressive newbie, I loaded a whopping 400 rounds in two hours!
This because, after a long time usage of an electronic dispenser/scale with a single-stage, it's still hard for me to completely trust a mechanical thrower, and I was stopping and measuring charges every 7-8 rounds
blush.gif

I second or third, the recommendation for carbide dies with a little "One Shot" spray lube on the brass. I've loaded in excess of 15,000 rounds of 9mm and a few thousand .45 on a Lee Loadmaster. The Loadmaster is definitely a finicky beast and if your not mechanically inclined probably best to spend the money and go Dillon. Midway gives me dealer price with my C&R license so the Lee setup for one caliber was about a third or less of what I'd have to put into a 650. That's the only reason I went with it.

Loading .45 and 9 is a breeze compared to rifle.

Buy a 550 and Dillon dies and some extra primer tubes. U have a scale and hopefully a tumbler. That's all you'll need the only problem I have with my 550 is the finish round tub is too small. Now they go into a funnel and down a PVC pipe under the benc to a canvas catch bag.

If you plan on loading a small amount or want to get started right away with the equipment you already have start by purchasing a set of carbide dies. I own both Lee and Dillon dies. The Lee works fine in the single stage but was not great in the progressive. I would recommend the Dillon dies especially if your are going to be loading lead. They are the easiest to clean and have a reversible stem for round nose vs semi-wad cutter. They are more expensive but are definitely worth it.

If you are going to be loading many thousands of rounds you will quickly yearn for a progressive press. It will make the process much quicker and you will be able to spend more time shooting than reloading. Just be ready for the extra expense of more bullets and powder. The choice here is red vs blue. I own both Hornady L-N-L AP and a Dillon 550B. Both are good presses, have great warranties and good customer service. If could find somewhere where you could compare them side by side you will find things you will like one over the other. Personally I utilize the Hornady the most. Things I like about the Hornady vs the Dillon is the individual removal of the dies one more die station and that you load your cases and bullets from the opposite side of the handle. Since it is also auto progressive you do not have to turn the wheel. The Hornady has a more open platform not so many things in you way and does not looks jerry rigged. The Hornady is easier to change over primer size and the powder measure is also easier to adjust. The one thing I don't like about the Hornady is the wire that ejects the cartridge. That have changed this on the new machines. The quality of the ammo is equal out of both machines it really comes down to a personal preference.

Juan

Paul I bought a set of Hornady dies, there lock ring can be used in the Co-Ax, your welcome to barrow them, from searching Brian Enos forums Clays appears to be the powder of choice, good speeds and low recoil, decent case fill so a double charge won't happen, I still need a powder drop that will go down to less than 5 grains.