Sidearms & Scatterguns .45 ACP Revolver questions

101stinfantry

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    AR
    My Dad was looking to buy a .45 ACP revolver, and was asking me about them. I'll admit I'm not a revolver guy, so I really have no idea. Do they all use moon clips? Does .45 Auto Rim work in them? Any other info is appreciated.

Another suggestion: Charter Arms Pit Bull .45 acp.
    5 shot revolver that does not use moon clips, has a little spring loaded thing on the ejector. Mine came with about a 25 pound double action trigger pull! So I lightened it a bit. Single action is pretty good.

i had several s&w 45 acp revolvers and have a 5 in right now they shoot like you would not believe as far as accuracy i also have a 40/10 with a 31/2 in barrel thats also amazing you cant go wrong with a smith.

The military 45 revolvers could work with or without moon clips & the auto rim was developed later for the purpose to take advantage of all those surplus WWII ACP revolvers, & not need the moons. Colt's & S&W's 1917's.
    Ruger brought out single actions with an extra 45 acp cylinder about 1969 or 70, they're fun. The ejector rod in the single action makes ejecting empties as easy as any rimmed cartridge.
    S&W had a dedicated ACP revolver for years that could use both moon or half moon clips of loading one cartridge alone, & picking it out the same way. The model 25.
    In 1988 S&W came out with a SS 45 ACP revolver that started to change things a bit. Meant for USPSA revolver class, 5" barrel, adj. sights, underlug barrel. It came with a few half moon clips but shooters quickly sought out full moons & reloading is fast, very fast. The first 625's wouldn't house auto rims & I remember John Taffin flipping his wig over it. S&W soon rectified the situation.

A lot of gaps in the history & players in the 45 ACP DA revolver market, but hope this fills in a few. But you'll now notice there are several models available & Michulek has approved many of them.

S&W also has a nice Model 22 in .45ACP, that has very classic styling.

Attachments

• 43742_1.jpg
      43742_1.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 46
    My Dad was looking to buy a .45 ACP revolver, and was asking me about them. I'll admit I'm not a revolver guy, so I really have no idea. Do they all use moon clips? Does .45 Auto Rim work in them? Any other info is appreciated.
    If he really wants a .45acp revolver get a S&W 625 and don't look back. The charter Arms is not in the same galaxy as a S&W 625.

By far head and shoulders above anything else, just ask Jerry Miculek. If you do buy one, replace the factory grips with the Jerry Miculek grips. I shot one for years in USPSA and the gun/grips combo is sweet. They also lend themselves well to action jobs!

I agree, get a S&W 625; then buy a TK Customs moonclip loader, and a pile of moon clips. You load up all the moon's you're going to shoot, and at the range it's super easy, relaxed, no fumbling with empties, etc. Also get a de-mooner.

If he really wants a .45acp revolver get a S&W 625 and don't look back. The charter Arms is not in the same galaxy as a S&W 625.

By far head and shoulders above anything else, just ask Jerry Miculek. If you do buy one, replace the factory grips with the Jerry Miculek grips. I shot one for years in USPSA and the gun/grips combo is sweet. They also lend themselves well to action jobs!

I’ll second this. I have a 625 Jerry Miculek signature edition. It’s a 625, spec’d out by Jerry, including his grips. It’s an awesome revolver. .45 ACP rounds headspace on the case mouth, so they will chamber and fire without moon clips, but you have to push the empties out manually with an improvised tool, like a pencil, as the extractor star has no rim to push against. Moon clips are the way to go, though. They’re the original and best speed loader; fewer movements to employ, amazingly fast, stays with the rounds.

I’m using polymer moon clips. I’m not shooting comps or high volume with this revolver, but for my use on the range, and for limited carry, I like the polymer. They hold the rounds tight enough to retain them if you drop a loaded clip, but they are easily loaded without a tool, and they don’t bend. I can’t speak to their comparative durability over steel for high volume use though.

S&W also makes similar revolvers in 9mm, and 10mm. The model 610 has the advantage of being able to fire 10mm and .40S&W, as long as you’re using moon clips.

been very happy with a 325 TR and a ruger blackhawk w/45acp cylinder. Most of my handguns are 45acp.

Moon clips can be a pain but not if you get the tools. Auto rim cases I’d limit to heavy cast boolit (look it up) loadings that don’t fit in semi-autos. You *can* load modern revolvers hotter than 1911s, so using auto rim helps to keep things separate. Older loading manuals might help with the hotter auto rim loads.

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, it'll probably be a Smith, I'm not even sure he has a revolver from another manufacturer, and he has probably 15 of them. He's not a competitive shooter, just likes plinking with them, and casting his own projectiles.

I’ll second this. I have a 625 Jerry Miculek signature edition. It’s a 625, spec’d out by Jerry, including his grips. It’s an awesome revolver. .45 ACP rounds headspace on the case mouth, so they will chamber and fire without moon clips, but you have to push the empties out manually with an improvised tool, like a pencil, as the extractor star has no rim to push against. Moon clips are the way to go, though. They’re the original and best speed loader; fewer movements to employ, amazingly fast, stays with the rounds.

I’m using polymer moon clips. I’m not shooting comps or high volume with this revolver, but for my use on the range, and for limited carry, I like the polymer. They hold the rounds tight enough to retain them if you drop a loaded clip, but they are easily loaded without a tool, and they don’t bend. I can’t speak to their comparative durability over steel for high volume use though.

S&W also makes similar revolvers in 9mm, and 10mm. The model 610 has the advantage of being able to fire 10mm and .40S&W, as long as you’re using moon clips.
    Just picked up a S&W 610 10mm revolver for my wife. My first revolver and hers. It is pretty fun. The moon clips are a little stiff, hard to insert and remove the cases. There must be a technique or a tool that makes it easier? Or, maybe just get a few dozen moon clips and reload them at home.

Just picked up a S&W 610 10mm revolver for my wife. My first revolver and hers. It is pretty fun. The moon clips are a little stiff, hard to insert and remove the cases. There must be a technique or a tool that makes it easier? Or, maybe just get a few dozen moon clips and reload them at home.
    There is. I made one years ago. Was gonna take a pic but it's up in my garage in the .45acp IPSC box. It looks like a screwdriver with a hollow tube instead of the blade. There is a notch on the end to grab the cases and peel them out of the moon clip. It's long onough to fit all 6 cases in. They sell them, I copied one .
    Stay away from the bent looking spoon like tool they sell to perform the same task, it sucks ass!
    Good luck!!

You need a model 610, you know you do.

610-2 with unfluted cylinder and Hogue grips to match my knife.
    View attachment 7540940
    That's fuckin' nice! And I'm not a revolver guy at all, dammit I thought I had enough handguns already! I guess not.
    Luckily for my wallet they are out of stock at all my regular places.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sniperstud
    i had several s&w 45 acp revolvers and have a 5 in right now they shoot like you would not believe as far as accuracy i also have a 40/10 with a 31/2 in barrel thats also amazing you cant go wrong with a smith.
    I confirm this. I have a S&W 625 and its the most accurate pistol I have, and though I carry a colt 1911, the 625 is my favorite to just shoot. Mine is the pre lock 'Model of 1989'. Prices are high, check out Gunbroker and hopefully your father has a stash of ammo because its high as well.