• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

4H small bore .22

Dusty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2003
Louisiana
My stepson is 9 and is starting 3 pos. small bore in 4H. I there an inexpensive rifle already set up for this stuff? I saw a savage on the cmp website, but I was trying to find something used and cheap. What kind of old target rifles are around cheap that would work?

Thanks,
Dusty

Re: 4H small bore .22

A CZ 452 is a good rifle to use you can work on the trigger and get peep sights for it, that is what my daughter used for the first year, you can shoot either field grade or target class.

Re: 4H small bore .22

Look at the local gun store used rimfire rack, and talk to the owner about your specific needs. Most good shop owners will understand those needs and take a special interest in helping a kid get started. They may not have exactly what you need on the rack at the time, but they can call around and find something you'll do OK with. A reputable dealer will not screw a kid.

A good starter rifle is a bolt gun, preferably a single shot, and has iron sights. The make is not especially important. Better to get an adult sized stock than to stick yourself with a kid stock he'll outgrow all too soon. As his first rifle, he'll want to hang onto it when he's old and gray, and it helps if he can still shoot it. There's something classic about watching a young 'un wrap his arm around the stock under his armpit and shooting the Dickens out of a paper target.

Try to ensure the crown is in good condition; no nicks, deep pits, or major rust spots where the muzzle and rifling come together. Thankfully, a crown job is not particularly expensive and a good gunsmith can handle the task very easily. Even if the crown job cost rivals the used rifle's purchase price, it's a good bet it's worth it; as long as the rest of the rifle is sound.

Greg