• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors 5.56 supressor reccomendation

chittnp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Olympia, WA
I'm curently deployed to Afghanistan, and doing a little planning for my post deployment treat for myself. I've decided on a Larue 18" OBR in 5.56, a USO SN3-1000, and a can for the afore mentioned set-up. Pretty simple so far...But I would also liek to be able to use the can on my .22 Sig Mosquito. Im budgeting about 1500 including the tax stamp. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a similar set up ( 5.56 and .22 ). and anyones reccomendations. Thanks!

Re: 5.56 supressor reccomendation

I would strongly recommend against getting a centerfire can and using it for rimfire also. Rimfire cans should be able to be taken apart because they get a lot of lead build up inside them. I would recommend getting two different cans for this.

The OBR is a great suppressor host. Attached is a pic of my OBR with a SureFire can on it.

OBR.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ops Inc. 12th model for the OBR. It suppresses very well, and has a pleasant tone. AAC Pilot or Gemtec Outback II for the Sig Mosquito. For $1500, you should be able to get both(Including tax stamps). Most 5.56 cans are going to be too heavy and too large in diameter to comfortably use on a P22 or Mosquito. </span>

Chucky, what length OBR is that? looks like a 16"? Very Nice! What ammo do you run through it?

Starting to get the message that 2 cans are probably the way to go, damn the ATF, I still have to pay the stamp for my .45 Osprey too. Oh well, I suppose there's a proper tool for each application.

Thanks!

I recommend getting a .30 caliber suppressor for the OBR, skip the 5.56 can. I do like my M4-2000, but wish I would have gone with a .30 caliber can in the first place,,,

Get a dedicated .22 can for the Mosquito as well,,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyote223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend getting a .30 caliber suppressor for the OBR, skip the 5.56 can. I do like my M4-2000, but wish I would have gone with a .30 caliber can in the first place,,,

Get a dedicated .22 can for the Mosquito as well,,,</div></div> You got a couple issues with this. Most 308 cans (stainless) are heavy and make the front end very heavy on a m4 style rifle. If you are going to use it mainly prone as in SPR I could go with it. If you go titanium it is lighter but can't handle mag dumps as it heats up rapidly. I started with a 308 can on my 223 Mini-SASS and it worked well but heavy. That is why I ended up getting an AAC M4/2000. Much lighter and worked well with the 16" barrel as it was not as front heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chittnp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curently deployed to Afghanistan, and doing a little planning for my post deployment treat for myself. I've decided on a Larue 18" OBR in 5.56, a USO SN3-1000, and a can for the afore mentioned set-up. Pretty simple so far...But I would also liek to be able to use the can on my .22 Sig Mosquito. Im budgeting about 1500 including the tax stamp. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a similar set up ( 5.56 and .22 ). and anyones reccomendations. Thanks! </div></div>

If you want a 5.56 can that will be decent on your .22lr pistol, you're probably going to want to do a QSM titanium 5.56 can.

They make one that does 30DB sound reduction and is like 1.25"x6.2" and 9.5 ounces (the small size and weight make it a good .22lr contender).

It being titanium can probably be dipped in Hydrogen peroxide / vinegar to remove lead. The process is dangerous to health but does work according to many.

The bore on the QSM product is tight at .25" so you will want to bore brush the can before moving from .22lr back to 5.56mm to prevent leading of the bore from causing possible bullet contact.

QSM .223

Of course I recommend you talk to the manufacturer to make sure he agrees with that thought process and use description prior to purchasing the product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chittnp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chucky, what length OBR is that? looks like a 16"? Very Nice! What ammo do you run through it?

Starting to get the message that 2 cans are probably the way to go, damn the ATF, I still have to pay the stamp for my .45 Osprey too. Oh well, I suppose there's a proper tool for each application.

Thanks! </div></div>

That is a 16inch gun. I shoot all kinds of ammo through that gun from 55 grain FMJ to 77SMK stuff.

I really like my AWC raider and have a YHM and a AWC THOR Ti both pending. In a few months I can actually make some comparisons. My Raider is steel and very heavy but when I shoot full powered ammo I need no earpro. The sound is much like a air chuck being pulled from a air hose line charged full of air.

Man, after seeing that 16" OBR, and the size of the AAC Flash Hider/Adapter, and the ops inc Brake/adapter, I'm starting to think 16" would be good. Thanks for the reccomendations, I'm still interested in what people reccomend and have to say, so please keep this going!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyote223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend getting a .30 caliber suppressor for the OBR, skip the 5.56 can. I do like my M4-2000, but wish I would have gone with a .30 caliber can in the first place,,,

Get a dedicated .22 can for the Mosquito as well,,,</div></div>

I agree with this!!! the .22 SS Sparrow is a great .22 can

I have a .223 Jet titainium can on my .223 that I sometimes for grins throw on my Mosquito just to plink around the house ...it WILL work but as others have stated it would be best to get a dedicated .22 can as it does hinder the sight picture and you gotta pretty much guess your hold to hit anything out past 25yards

I have an Ops Inc 12th model on my 18" SPR. Couldn't be happier. Great can. Great company. I've even put >500 60gr SSS through it without any issues (after I checked with Ops Inc about it). I've used a 22LR conversion unit though, not on a 22LR pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyote223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend getting a .30 caliber suppressor for the OBR, skip the 5.56 can. I do like my M4-2000, but wish I would have gone with a .30 caliber can in the first place,,,

Get a dedicated .22 can for the Mosquito as well,,,</div></div>

I agree with this!!! the .22 SS Sparrow is a great .22 can </div></div>

I ordered M4-2000 and Sparrow SS. Was about $1500 total. I bet you would be very pleased with this combo. Also, the sparrow SS is rated for 5.7x28. You can't see the sparrow when its mounted to FN 5.7 when sighting, and with loaded mag the balance is perfect.

The .22 can should be a separate unit from the 5.56 can due to the fouling that will occur. Most 22 cans can be dissassembled for cleaning. If you are willing to look at other manufactorers you should be able to hit your price marks (Tax stamps included).ie. YHM 5.56 or 7.62+stamp, Silencero Sparrow+stamp= roughly $1400.

I've had an m4-2000 since May and after ~ 8K rounds on a 10" Scar (with a muzzle brake mount) no noticeable erosion of the blast baffle, about 1.5" straight down POI shift @ 100. Highly recommend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Ops Inc 12th model on my 18" SPR. Couldn't be happier. Great can.</div></div>

+1 for Ops Inc 12th model. The rear of the can actually protrudes over the barrel and sets against a tapered collar. This has two effects, (1) the overall length of the rifle+can is shorter, (2) the can is indexed to the barrel at two locations, the threads and the collar.

I wouldn't use a 5.56 can on a pistol, too big and heavy. .22lr cans are inexpensive.

OTOH, I don't see any reason not to use a 5.56 can with a .22 rifle (provided the rifle has a proper .22lr barrel*), but you can always ask the manufacturer instead of getting "Internet advice". I will point out that Gemtech officially says it is okay in their FAQ, and that's for a can that does not disassemble.

* If you are just using a .22lr kit and a 5.56 barrel, the twist is likely way too fast.

I agree with some of the others. Get a .30 cal can for multiple hosts. Get a seperate can for your .22 work. I run a YHM 762 SS Phantom and a Silencerco Sparrow. The .30 cal works great on my 5.56/.223 hosts and the .22 can goes back and forth from .22LR rifle to pistol.
101_7981.jpg

101_7987.jpg

101_7914.jpg

101_7897.jpg

I don't shoot the smaller cals through my cans. I have 556 cans, 30 cal cans and pistol cans for different cals. I know you can but I want the smallest hole on the end to help hold sound waves. Just my 2 cents. I love my M4-2000! You can never go wrong with AAC!

I'm a fan of YHM. I own a 7.62 SS Phantom and have a titanium 5.56 on the way. The 7.62SS is heavy as shit, especially out on the end of a 20" barrel. Unfortunately the Ti cans weren't out when I bought it. If I was to do everything over again I'd get a titanium 7.62 Phantom and be done with it. Its only a few ounces heavier than the 5.56.

While i like the looks of AAC cans they're too rich for my blood.

I recommend the Gemtech TREK for the 556 can question. Gemtech has great customer service, you will shoot out 4 barrels before you shoot out the can, and its a direct thread flash hider replacement so it only adds 4" to your gun over all.

MSRP $525

I am relatively new to suppressors, and I bought an HTG Aris and have been completely satisfied. The sound reduction, accuracy and quality have never been questioned. It shoots great on my 16" AR and my Savage LRPV 22-250.