• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

50 BMG Breakdown

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Which road should I take??

I've come to the conclusion I have no practical use for a 50 BMG other than shooting the engine out of a vehicle I dont know coming up my driveway... jk.. BUTTT Of course I still want one to shoot here and there, reload for and just to get my rocks off. With that said a Barrett is out of the question, IMO your paying for the name and nothing more. I can build a custom 50 for way cheaper than a factory built Barrett rifle... I've looked at the Armalite AR-50's, this seems to be a pretty practical price and set up for what I need. Armalite has the standard AR-50, and the national match model (basically upgraded) for $1000 more... I came across the Noreen ULR action then found they build the 50 BMG with their XLR chassis stock, it seemed like a pretty cool set up for the price too...

When it comes down to it all though is it better just to custom build one with a custom action to keep for a life time, or is it worth buying any of these factory 50's? I understand the custom will just hold the value.. Money wise I haven't looked at many custom 50 actions but for the price of the armalite 50 ($3400) I could get a custom action and custom barrel... Then I'd just be lacking a stock and trigger... and end up with a way more quality rifle..

What's everyones thoughts on the 50 BMG? What would you do? I won't be using it for any kind of competition.. Just a extended long range target killer and maybe a hog killer here and there... I'm already in the middle of a custom 338 lapua build for my long range hunting and target type stuff...

Last edited:
Armalite’s AR-50 is a pretty darn good rifle for the cash. I can not speak for the newer ones. Looking at the specks a few months back it seems like the cheaper one shoots just as good as the newer NM config.
With that being said Armalite totally fails at making a stock. If you are only going to shoot off a bench then you better have long arms. If you want to shoot it prone you better be 7 feet tall. The stock is way too long.
If you go with a build I would at least suggest using one of their breaks. Just remember nothing with the 50 is cheap. It does not know what a $50.00 bill is. Twenties are what you might get back in change. If you do get into it you may want to look in to a drop ship for A-maxes. Back when I had one I got them for 1.25 each. At that time MSRP was $2.00 each.

Only you can decide what is within your budget and what meets your particular needs/wants in a BMG rifle. XLR makes their BMG chassis for a whole host of different platforms if you like that design since you mentioned it, INCLUDING making it for the Armalite AR-50 if you prefer the XLR (who wouldn't?!?! The XLR BMG chassis is right at home on the Armalite too and is a VAST improvement over the factory stock). The best bang for the buck in factory/production BMGs is the Armalite by a mile in my experience and opinion. They are accurate, utterly dependable, have good barrels, and are all-around great rifles right out of the box. As for the pricetag...$3400 is HIGH for the Armalite basic AR-50A1 (and WAY HIGH for new or like new earlier models). I have seen several sell (even in GunBroker) for the $3k range in the last couple months...hell, there are BIN sales on GB now for $3300 shipped right now. If you keep your eyes peeled and are vigilant with your purchase, they can be had NIB for <$3k.

Like you...I'd skip the Barrett unless you can just get one for a screaming deal as their prices are just kind of overstated for what you get as a whole. Barrett does, however, offer some models of the 99 that are well suited to the "hunting" side of things as they are considerably lighter and more portable than the Armalite. As for going the custom route...it all depends on the options/features you want (which mfg/action, the barrel, stock/chassis, trigger, coating, etc., etc., etc., and the smith you chose to do the work) as to what you'll have to fork over for a full build. Keith at PCR here on the Hide has been making some really nice 50s in the last few months (one may still be for sale), but its going to cost you a heck of a lot more than the Armalite when all is said and done. Again...your options...your budget...your call. As for custom vs. factory in terms of "holding value"...it really isn't as simple as one holding value better than another. You'll have to weigh the initial costs of one versus the other, as well as finding the "right" buyer for a custom later down the road as it'll be tailored to you and another buyer may not necessarily behold the "beauty" that you see in it. ;)

The other thing to decide is whether you REALLY plan to use the rifle as a "hog killer" and how you'll be using it in that role. Few BMGs are what you'd call easy to carry or for easy use as game rifles (although they certainly CAN be used on game with the proper ammo)...that's especially true for the Armalite which from the factory is a long, heavy pig to maneuver around...much less to fire offhand in some hog hunting situations. They are far from ideal in that role unless you are able to set up in a somewhat static position and take hogs from afar. You can, however, build a custom, lighter weight hunting model in 50BMG, but you will sacrifice at least SOME long-range performance and your own comfort shooting it (especially with any long strings of fire) going with a shorter barrel/lighter weight setup.

Just some addt'l food for thought for you to chew on while dining at the 50BMG buffet. ;)

Last edited:
I own a Steyr HS.50 and as far as factory single shot offerings go I think its the class of the field. They have a steller reputation for accuracy are superbly machined and manufactured.
Definitely on the upper end of the price range for single shot .50's but noticeably higher quality. I can easily hold 1.5 moa with weight sorted API's and cheap PMC brass out to 1000m. For me its a casual plinker rather than something I'm trying to shoot to .5moa.... for that I have my TRG's.

I shoot a m99 fairly often and really like it for the money it's honestly not that bad. The bottom line is if your already putting up the $ isn't it worth the little extra to get what you want?

They're not pretty...but check out Serbu. They're (comparatively) low cost and most reviews I've seen have been pretty positive. Other than that, my only experience has been with the McMillan. Damn nice rifle, but you pay for it.

I have an Early EDM Windrunner, and I love it. It's a very compact, although heavy rifle...but what BMG isn't. That said, I have seen, and shot several of their new made guns, and I wouldn't have any of them. They all had more than one problem, and didn't shoot well at all. The early guns however are top notch. The only thing about them is the ones that have the 80 hole brake, needs replacing, it was a poor design. However, Bill was making them right in the early days. There is one on Guns America right now, and I am in no way part of the sale, and don't know they guy. That said, he has a great rifle for sale, and at a fair price.

We (community property state) have a McMillian Tac-50 which is in a league by itself; also, a Barrett M-82 witch fills it's nitch (low recoil so she likes shooting it with double ear protection). The 82 is a 2.0MOA gun with very quick follow up shots, while the T50 is sub-1/2" moa. You really can't beat the 50bmg when it comes to payload on target. We go to a private area a few times a year which sports a 2000yd range...........the M1-Incendiary and M17-Tracer rounds are like a fire-works show; fun for all....shooter and spectators. While the surplus 50 projectile market is still alive, a person really can't beat what is available......API, AP, TR, INC, APIT, Spotter, Ball, A-Max, Solids, Combined effects (MK211 if you can afford it), etc. Lots of Choices, all of which work very well. Still can't believe the stuff is sold on the civilian market but very happy it is. Probably at the top of the ban list but we'll have fun till it gets stuffed.

I have a lot of .50 components sitting around. On the fence honestly whether to sell them or get a rifle to shoot them (recently sold my AR-15 single shot upper). I like the DTA HTI, but not sure I can justify the price and size and weight and muzzle blast etc.. LOL

A lot of money for not a lot of practical use, but the fun factor is through the roof. We'll see how dumb I get with money after this MEU.

I have an Armalite AR-50, I love it. I didn't intend for it to be a tack driver, I just want a 50bmg like you to shoot 1/2" holes in things. It takes a couple minutes to wipe the smile off my face after lighting one off. I choose the Armalite because of the good reviews, what I've heard about their accuracy, and the price. I put a Jewell trigger in it which really helped with my accuracy. Also once you start reloading for it, you'll really see the accuracy improve. I can't recommend it enough. Like has been said before with a 50bmg everything is more expensive.

For lightning accuracy shoot your custom 338 lapua, to make thunder shoot your 50bmg!