50 BMG

Kellanguinn

7mmTHING
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
I’m trying to find a bit of information on precision reloading of the 50 BMG. What kind of brass prep is everyone doing to make “match” grade brass, and what is the best choice of powder now that H50BMG is no longer an option? Thanks for your feedback

I don't load 50BMG so my advice is probably not worth a shit. (I do load some big super magnums though).
My buddy loads 50BMG but he's not that great at it. He cuts a lot of corners and the ammo shoots like crap but I know a couple things having tried a few things on his minimal set up:

1. You need a stout press specifically for 50BMG parent cases. (same for .416 Barrett) it needs to have the 1 1/2" threads. RCBS and Hornady I believe make some single stage presses. The Dillon 4 station .50 BMG press is a turret press specifically for that cartridge. Something that has a huge leverage advantage to reduce strength needed for sizing.

2. Sizing takes a huge effort if using LC brass. Don't use the Lee press because your linkages will break and/or the casting will shatter.
3. Dillon makes a FL carbide sizing die but that die is like 800.00 bucks. Apparently this makes sizing easier, and you will want to F/L size anyway.
4. You will need to trim. Again Dillon makes a press-mounted trimmer that would make this easier.
5. You will probably need to swage the pockets
6. You will want to anneal the necks probably every firing.
7. The 750gr AMAX bullets are probably the better shooting bullets other than some solids that cost 2-3 bucks each.
8. You can use Hodgdon US869 for powder and is readily available/cheap. Buy in 8lb jugs. Vihtavuori makes a great .50 BMG powder as well. Forgot the name 2N29 or something.
The handloading of .50 BMG takes a huge commitment, as none of your existing equipment will work. If you're committed to it, then you already know this.

Thank you for the response. I am lucky enough to already have all the stuff to reload except something to anneal the brass with. I’m wanting to make this rifle shoot as accurate as possible, it is a fully custom built 50.

Thank you for the response. I am lucky enough to already have all the stuff to reload except something to anneal the brass with. I’m wanting to make this rifle shoot as accurate as possible, it is a fully custom built 50.

What brass are you using? I think starting out with premium brass will help the most, as LC or Mil brass is a bitch to work with. At least on my friend's shitty Lee press it was. I really want a .50 BMG rifle and to do handloads for it, but just can't afford it now.

As far as annealing, I took a Giraud gas annealer with the .50BMG wheels and converted it to induction using the Annie kit/Giraud's conversion kit. It works well. You might as well go with the AMP annealer, since it will accommodate the big fifty. I think you will benefit from annealing every firing all else being equal.

I can’t afford it either? I was looking into the salt bath annealing because of the cost on those AMP machines. The brass I will be using is LC brass, which does concern me a bit. I was going to turn the necks in hopes it might ease things a little.

I’m not sure exactly what chamber, I do know it was a match reamer and specifically chambered for 750 Amaxs. I also know a 4” group was shot with this rifle at 1000 yards