• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 50 cal scope

Kuisis

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Washington PA
I would like some input on a scope for my new AR-50. I have been looking at a fixed power in either 16 or 20 power. I plan on shooting out to 1000 yards for now, until I get familiar with it. Does anybody have any advice on which may be better?

Thanks

Re: 50 cal scope

The Nightforce 5.5-22 would be my first choice. But I have a 16X Leupold Mark 4 on mine, and it does the job. Higher magnification helps make smaller groups at distance.

A lot of guys are selling the used NF for good prices right now. You could also find a used 16x Leupold for under a grand if you look around.

If you really want a fixed power, I would go with an old school Leupold Mk IV M1 16X. Tough as nails, reasonably priced, excellent light transmission.......

Rifle_Scopes_Nightmare.jpg

AR50 is pretty heavy so just about any mid or high end scope is going to be OK. Low end will not. Have seen some last only one shot.

A variable 6-24 power scope might be perfect for you, especially if you want to do 1,000 yards. 6 power would also be good for 100 yards.

Here's an example:
Sightron S3 6-24x50, mil/mil with exposed turret and 100 mils adjustment. (SIIISS 6-24X50 LRMD/CM)
$844 @ SWFA Here's a link Only issue is this is probably SFP

In that price range it's tough to come up with something that would be perfect for you.

Check out the Vortex Viper PST's or the Bushnell 4200's that are on sale everywhere. They are ffp, 6-24x50, mil/mil and PST offers moa/moa, illuminated reticle, and should handle the recoil. I have seen some 4200's on 50's but the PST's are fresh on the market so I couldn't tell you for sure but I'd feel alright putting one on a 50.