• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

597 Update

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
Been wanting a new rimfire for quite a while, my 10/22 from 1966 is just worn out, Nylon66 I hate the stock feeding and 12 round limit plus the rear sight is broke so its scope only shooter. Seems the 597 has a good following with descent accessories and its a good price.

It will be;
plinker / trainer
small game collector in Missouri
in time will tactikewl it some, rail w/ mildot, camo krylon, trigger job.

Thanks

Re: Picking up a 597 today, $170

I think you will enjoy it, I do mine. in my experience, a 597 is typically a much better shooter straight out of the box then a box stock 10/22. The only real advantage the 10/22 has anymore is a whole world of replacement\aftermarket parts and accessories.

But do you know why there is so much stuff out there for the 10/22? Because it needs it!
grin.gif

At first you will like your new 597. Then you'll hate the thing. Then you will figgure out what needs to be done to make it a good, reliable shooter & you will really like that rifle. There is a lot of 597 advice over at RimFireCentral.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my 597 all decked out to go rabbit hunting in the snow. Providing it ever does snow around here again.

22target015jpg.jpg

22target016jpg.jpg
</div></div>

very nice

My 597 has been quite a shooter right out of the box - All I have done was to free float the barrel & make sure the guide rods were adjusted correctly. I'm putting a Vols hammer in to drop the trigger pull alittle, but mine wasnt that bad to begin with.
As with most 22LR, ammo testing is critical. Mine like the CCI mini mags & the Wolf Match ammo best
GL with it!

Plain jane 597
Bushnell Trophy (me thinks) 3-9x with mildot
Warne rimfire 1" rings on the 597 receiver..no addition base
Rem 30 round mag

Have not had time to pick it up yet but its all sitting on hold as of today.

I figure this will be a good trainer, plinker and small game slayer. Will upgrade ext and hammer some day if I need too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdyer77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 597 has been quite a shooter right out of the box - All I have done was to free float the barrel & make sure the guide rods were adjusted correctly. <span style="color: #FF0000">I'm putting a Vols hammer in to drop the trigger pull alittle</span>, but mine wasnt that bad to begin with.
As with most 22LR, ammo testing is critical. Mine like the CCI mini mags & the Wolf Match ammo best
GL with it! </div></div>
Don't do it!!! Mine was the same way - good shooter right out of the box. Even the trigger was pretty good with a very crisp break but then I put in the VQ hammer and hate it. Yes, the pull is much lighter but now its mushy and like an idiot, I misplaced the factory hammer so I can't put it back in
frown.gif