• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

5R back to the range - suggestions?

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
Here's today's targets. Shooting surplus FN, but just ordered 4 cases of Federal Match. Best group size still about .6 inches.

Wish I could figure out my vertical stringing. Tried to concentrate on breathing, but didn't seem to help much.

Any suggestions?

R5043011.jpg

5RMilspecBlack.jpg

Re: 5R back to the range - suggestions?

Shoot crap ammo, get crap groups.

Those are actually good groups for the ammo you are shooting.
Don't try to analyze anything while shooting surplus ammo.

I kept trying to pull off a .5 with the surplus ammo, but seems like I can't quite get there.

Only thing that bothers me is the vertical spread seems wider than the horizontal most of the time. This has me thinking I'm doing something wrong.

Will see what happens with the match ammo. If I have the same problem, I'll know it's me.

It really doesn't look all that bad with crap ammo, I see a few fliers but that might be the rear rest or the trigger. I have had two 5Rs and replaced the triggers on both to get them to shoot consistant.
Post some more targets when you get some good ammo.
SScott

Surplus ammo, means high Extreme Spread in velocity which equals vertical stringing. Don't attempt to draw conclusions shooting crap ammo. You're end up pulling your hair out..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surplus ammo, means high Extreme Spread in velocity which equals vertical stringing. Don't attempt to draw conclusions shooting crap ammo. You're end up pulling your hair out.. </div></div>

Thanks! That's a very good explanation.

I've been more consistent with another rifle (3# trigger vs. 1.5# Timney on the 5R), but that was using recently manufactured commercial ammo - not 29 year old surplus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonbearman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is federal gold metal match on sale at champion supply.@0 bucks a box.I would hand load if it were mine. </div></div>

Thanks! Wish I would have known about Champion for the first 4 cases. Just ordered some more.