• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 Creedmoor project done **8-22 more pics**

Controlled Chaos Arms

Gun Plumber
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2006
Baxter, IA
www.controlledchaosarms.com
it only took two years... i'd work on it now and then between other projects for customers. i was going to paint it all up and i may yet, but i kind of dig it the way it is...

6.5 creedmoor chambering
mike rock barrel 1/8
badger m2008 action and rail
manners t4a stock
yhm can
surgeon dbm and aics mags
kepplinger set trigger -standard pull @ 2.5lbs -forward pull @ 8ozs
cerakoted in graphite black
textured, bedded, pillars, etc.
shoots sub MOA consistently

wearing a uso for now i robbed off my 22 trainer, but i'm thinking i'll put a 5-25 tpal on it in moa...

DSC_0135_20100717_07753a.jpg

i know it was a long time coming... rob and i kicked this around nearly two years ago, but it works well and will take a beating.
wink.gif

DSC_0048_20100822_08359.jpg

DSC_0049_20100822_08360.jpg

DSC_0051_20100822_08362.jpg

DSC_0053_20100822_08364.jpg

DSC_0057_20100822_08368.jpg

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor project done... Finally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what length barrel is that? </div></div>

24" i was going to go 28" but with a can i opted to dial it back... i'm kind of wishing i had a tad more velocity, but i think it'll pan out ok...

Leave it the way it sits. 5-25 TPAL is going to add a lot of weight. I own one and it sits on my 408CT. I think you're money the way its setup in the picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave it the way it sits. 5-25 TPAL is going to add a lot of weight. I own one and it sits on my 408CT. I think you're money the way its setup in the picture. </div></div>

i'll buy one regardless so i can swap it onto my 7mag if needed. the weight i'm not worried about. pretty hefty now, so i should weigh it just to see...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: septic-tank13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it only took two years... i'd work on it now and then between other projects for customers. i was going to paint it all up and i may yet, but i kind of dig it the way it is...

6.5 creedmoor chambering
mike rock barrel 1/8
badger m2008 action and rail
manners t4a stock
yhm can
surgeon dbm and aics mags
kepplinger set trigger -standard pull @ 2.5lbs -forward pull @ 8ozs
cerakoted in graphite black
textured, bedded, pillars, etc.
shoots sub MOA consistently

wearing a uso for now i robbed off my 22 trainer, but i'm thinking i'll put a 5-25 tpal on it in moa...

DSC_0135_20100717_07753a.jpg

i know it was a long time coming... rob and i kicked this around nearly two years ago, but it works well and will take a beating.
wink.gif
</div></div>

nice stick !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup, especially with the textured grips. What bipod do you have on it? </div></div>

...just a harris for the purposes of pics. but i'll probably run a harris swivel regardless. they've always worked well for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love it! Looks very cool. Let me know how you like the bolt lift and I'd also like to know how you like the can.

Shawn </div></div>

so far so good with both. i've used a lot of yhm product and never had a complaint. the bolt lift is fine, but there is no slop like many out there, so it takes some getting used to. just a different motion is all, but still a bit more methodical movement to actuate it positively and routinely...

went shooting today... took the 6.5Creedmoor out with us... i had built some trajectory data cards, but the real task is to fine tune them... it is damn rare that your actual results mirror those calculated and since i'm going to have several opportunities to shoot big bucks are ranges out to 1100 yards this year in MO, i thought it wise to get this thing in shape...

we set up one steel plate at what google earth said was 800 yards. actual was 777. then after that we set up one at what google said was just short of 1200. actual was 1140.

wind on top of the hill where we opted to set up shop was a pretty constant 20MPH, but down into the valley at 777, it was tapering a quite a bit, and from that point over to 1140 across that low area their was intermitten wind not exceeding 7MPH... calling wind shots was tough. not due to the 20MPH at full value, but the intermitten gusts down below between 600 and 1200 were hard to read... over a picked beanfield there was little to use... in some waterways there were foxtails to glance at, but nothing easy like a big pin oak with leaves still on... lol.

either way we had a great day and after a few of those bumps were ironed out we had a blast. target ratio was roughly 2.8MOA for 777 and 1.5 for 1140... nothing too awesome, but still darn hard to keep a hit ratio of 4:5 in wind like this... we did it though... at one point a few of us were dinging 5 for 5, so i was pleased. i think the other guys had fun too.

the rest of the rigs were 308.... a springfield loaded M1A, a rem 700 i built, and a FN PBR i built...

good times...

using the USO spotter:

DSC_0187_20101106_11771.jpg

308s in action:

DSC_0186_20101106_11770.jpg

rem 700:

DSC_0180_20101106_11764.jpg

Creed:

DSC_0174_20101106_11758.jpg

DSC_0208_20101106_11792.jpg

DSC_0206_20101106_11790.jpg

Awesome shooting! I finally got my Creedmoor out to 1000 yds this past weekend. It bucks the wind like no other. Glad to see all the guys using them with such good results. Were you using the 140 AMAX's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome shooting! I finally got my Creedmoor out to 1000 yds this past weekend. It bucks the wind like no other. Glad to see all the guys using them with such good results. Were you using the 140 AMAX's? </div></div>

yup, 140 AMAX... the trajectory was pretty good, just a tad lower than what i calced, but still leaps and bounds better than the 308s we used along side it. and yes, the windage was kept to a bare minimum. i was really tickled to hold an 82% hit ratio at nearly 1200 yards through mildly changing 18PMH wind.

i don't get to shoot out to distance as much as i'd like, but practice, practice, practice all seem to help. i think this equipment is helping me a great deal too.

wink.gif

hope you dig yours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you do the textureing? That looks great. </div></div>

thanks!

it is a mixture of marine tex and aluminum powder. we just mask it off, apply, wait, lift with plastic knives, wait, pat it back down to desired 'aggressiveness' of texture, yank the tape, smooth the edges, and allow it to cure.

there are some pics of the process on my site. check it out.

-michael

also, i should report back a few things...

through the chrony the hornady ammo was pretty average for speed and performance. i'm not knocking it down, but i'll admit i had higher hopes.

our velocities were nearly 100FPS lower than advertised, but that is typical with hornady. we had variations in speed across ten shot strings that were right at 100FPS... i was pretty unhappy with that.

we did pick up a 46FPS average speed advantage with the can though. that one was a YHM 30 cal and it seems to be working extremely well, but again it is hard to say since i didn't screw that one off and screw another on to see. suffice it to say i had no poor marks for it.

we're headed to NW MO for the deer opener on our family farms this weekend. i'm setting up shop in a place that allows quick shots from as close as 80 yards to stuff as far as 950 yards. i'll roughly be trying to cover 270 degrees, but luckily have the 90 to my rear to worry nothing about. while not ideal, i'll set up a hide and we'll see what transpires.

so far so good with this rig. i did swap out the USO for another USO (5-25) and yes it is heavier. but i don't mind a bit. granted, i don't remember dialing in more magnification that just a tad under 20x this last shooting session, but i have always liked the 5-25 and i may stick with it. who knows...

i double checked the firing pin set screw and it is still tight after 380 rounds so that was good. i'd had trouble with a couple before. also the kepplinger set trigger is working fine. frankly, i don't use it "set" that often. seems like there is just a tad of what i'd call lag or actual lock time to it. it actuates quickly, but it isn't lightning fast. i'll have to see what i can do to modify it. maybe a stiffer spring and a change in the camming geometry will help it a bit. these parts are damn little, but i think i've got a plan to help it a bit. if that is successful it'll be hard for me not to proclaim some love for it... as it is now, i like it a lot, but i don't love it.

many thanks for all the well wishes and comments!

-michael

He's shooting the Match Hornady according to what I just read.

Septic, I used the Match ammo at 200 yards and was grouping in the.3MOA range but I feel like at distance I would have the same problems you are reporting with the lower velocity and would be at a disadvantage. I used some handloads over the weekend in a 1000yd Match using 42.5 grains of H4350 and it worked awesome. I placed 2nd with wind gusts 5-25mph. I'm going to try more handloads using 43 and 43.5 grains H4350 and I feel like it will work even better. But I do see the AMAX's performing very well and I think they are the way to go. The guy who beat me was using a 260 with the 140 AMAX's as well. Hope this helps you some and needless to say, yes I love my Creedmoor!

I started piercing primers at 42.8 with 4350. It was a fairly warm day though but not too hot.
I'm pretty sure if I loaded as hot as your are talking about I would be seeing some serious pressure signs.

What primers are you using? I am also seating mine out to 2.855 OAL. I loaded one round at 43gr and one at 43.5 without any pressure signs. I'm surprised you see so much pressure with that load. The Hornady load is only 1.3 gr less than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2guard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what load are you using with the 140amax, or are you shooting the Hornady match stuff?

Nice stick. </div></div>

yes, all factory ammo. the 120s were more consistent in terms of speed, but i planned all along on using 140s, so i bought a case of 120s only for testing and reflection.

the many cases of ammo i bought are nearly exhausted, so i'll begin loading them now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's shooting the Match Hornady according to what I just read.

Septic, I used the Match ammo at 200 yards and was grouping in the.3MOA range but I feel like at distance I would have the same problems you are reporting with the lower velocity and would be at a disadvantage. I used some handloads over the weekend in a 1000yd Match using 42.5 grains of H4350 and it worked awesome. I placed 2nd with wind gusts 5-25mph. I'm going to try more handloads using 43 and 43.5 grains H4350 and I feel like it will work even better. But I do see the AMAX's performing very well and I think they are the way to go. The guy who beat me was using a 260 with the 140 AMAX's as well. Hope this helps you some and needless to say, yes I love my Creedmoor! </div></div>

on ruck and bags i was getting .6MOA at 100 with 10 shot strings in 60 seconds w/140s. that was an average mind you, not the best/worst... the 120s were slightly better.

on a concrete bench and bags i shot four five shot groups and the best was .383" and the worst .511" with 140s... so it'll shoot if i participate.

the weapon works. it has the capabilities i was looking for. how long the throat lasts, we'll see. i'm going to build a load and transition over to it.

practice, practice, practice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snipedog, those were winchester primers. </div></div>

Have you tried the Federal 210M primers? I have never used Winchester primers but from what I understand they are some of the hottest ones available. This could be the source

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor project done **8-22 more pics**

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knightofnee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the muzzle dia on that barrel and contour? </div></div>

i don't remember... i'll look and holler back at you. it was an MTUish taper with heavy fluting, but i don't remember the finish diameter at the muzzle...