6.5 creedmoor reload issue

smiledr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
Ok so just started reloading for 6.5 creedmoor bolt action. I am using a sherdian case gage and brand new Lapua cases. When I seat primer and full length resizing die then check with case gage, all is good. Once I seat the bullet, the cartridge is not seating all the way in the case gage. I am sure it is something simple, but have reloaded .223 and .308 using exact method and never seen this problem. Have some match ammo that fits sherdian case gage perfectly. I am using a Redding premium die set with FL die and micrometer seating die. Ideas? Thanks for any suggestions in advance. BTW this is brand new unshot brass.

What they said and If the hand load won’t chamber in your rifle don’t force it. Instead, you’ll need to attend to the thicker neck. If it’s just tuliped around the bullet a little at the top you may be able to get by with a little reaming & chambering of the new Lapua case neck before seating bullets, but if the whole neck is the problem then you may need to turn them down. I’m working on the same problem now with new Lapua brass for my .308 hand loads.

Allworkand no play - do you mean deburring and chamfering? I don't think he wants to team case neck. Although new Lapuas, and they were beautiful and consistent, I D&C mine.

Measure the neck diameter and make sure it is within SAAMI spec. If your chamber is factory and the neck diameter of the loaded round is OK, it could be the gauge. The reamer used to cut the gauge could have been worn.I had to send a .308 slotted gauge back to Sheridan because a sized case would not go in the gauge past the web. They hit it with a different reamer and solved my problem.
Brad is top notch. If the gauge is in question send him the gauge and two or three sized cases that don't fit.

Is the bullet contacting the gauge at the ogive?

IMO. You should get a comparator. It makes it much easier to measure for minimum shoulder bump, which makes brass last much longer.

Guy at the reloading store thinks its the additional thickness of the brass, however, also having similar problem with Hornady brass. Both fit case gauge fine once they are FL resized, as soon as bullit is seated, no go. I have backed off the seating die so there can't be any crimping going on. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to neck turn 300 pieces of one shot and new brass. Thanks.

Guy at the reloading store thinks its the additional thickness of the brass, however, also having similar problem with Hornady brass. Both fit case gauge fine once they are FL resized, as soon as bullit is seated, no go. I have backed off the seating die so there can't be any crimping going on. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to neck turn 300 pieces of one shot and new brass. Thanks.
Try removing the mandrel from your FL resizing die. Run a case through it and measure the neck at the top. Then compare that case to a case that you run through it with the mandrel in. Just a WAG but that may be your culprit. It’s possible it’s opening the neck at the mouth so much that it’s outta spec for your gauge and your chamber even before you seat a bullet...

So how does it chamber in rifle, and what rifle? What is loaded nk diameter? If this is a factory gun or 90% of custom rifles chambered in 6.5creed, it should be a no turn nk reamer. My lapua 6.5 creed brass mic's. 0135", my hornady and win 6.5 brass is .013-.0135. Some of the hornady brass is new production and some is new, but 8yrs old.

0.295” is your limit...
6B47E0CB-E6D7-4CE4-B1B6-8742688CB9B0.jpeg

Try removing the mandrel from your FL resizing die. Run a case through it and measure the neck at the top. Then compare that case to a case that you run through it with the mandrel in. Just a WAG but that may be your culprit. It’s possible it’s opening the neck at the mouth so much that it’s outta spec for your gauge and your chamber even before you seat a bullet...
The problem is with the seating die, everything fits fine after resizing, just goes bad at seating of the bullet. I am leaning towards sending the gauge back. I need to check the upper when it comes back as we were having an extraction issue with factory ammo. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: AllWorkAndNoPlay