• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 Creedmor or PRC

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
Hello guys, I think I'm set on a Bergara HMR Pro and was ready to get the ever popular 6.5 Creedmoor.
Then I actually started to look into the 6.5 PRC and it's sorta of what I wanted in a new rifle. Long range paper, some hunting and I wanted performance on par with my 6.5x284 in a SA. Now I up in the air. So my hesitation on the PRC is.
1. Still new to me still don't know all the pros and cons, so if I don't mention something significant speak up.
2. Recoil compared to the Creedmoor. reason for that, introducing new shooter or kid to target shooting, and is it enough recoil too effect a extended shooting session of long range shooting.
3. Barrel life?
Thanks, and I didn't see any references in the sticky compare post above.

With a decent brake recoil is mild.
My 7 saum is mild in recoil.

barrel life will definitely be less, performance ain’t free.

if you reload 6.5cm definitely has more brass options but ADG does do 6.5 prc brass.

I have both. The main difference is an extra 200 yards of useful distance on game if you have a minimum velocity requirement for bullet expansion or a certain energy you are trying to maintain. That 200 yards of added range is pretty useful.

On steel out to 1000 you won't notice much wind deflection difference, and both are easy to spot impacts with. For hunting, I'd almost always go with the PRC. For steel or paper, creedmoor makes more sense.

I have both. The main difference is an extra 200 yards of useful distance on game if you have a minimum velocity requirement for bullet expansion or a certain energy you are trying to maintain. That 200 yards of added range is pretty useful.

On steel out to 1000 you won't notice much wind deflection difference, and both are easy to spot impacts with. For hunting, I'd almost always go with the PRC. For steel or paper, creedmoor makes more sense.
this by a lot

Look at the ballistics, do you have the speed and energy you need to do what you want to do within your limits with the Creedmoor? Hornady and Berger both make excellent factory ammo for the Creedmoor so I consider my 6.5 Creedmoor to be a factory ammo gun (though I have McCourt working on some hunting loads for me) and I strictly reload for my 7 SAUM which is my primary hunting rifle. The 6.5 PRC seems to blend the best of both worlds and if you reload may be the choice, but if you don't reload the Creedmoor might be the better choice because of all the available options. @jwknutson17 just did some load dev with his 6.5 PRC and Berger 156's and had some insanely good results, I would not recommend the 156's for the Creedmoor in a SA so if you like to shoot the heavies the PRC may be the way to go.

With regard to recoil, if you get a good muzzle brake and have a nice recoil pad on your stock you'll do yourself a favor. I swear my 7 SAUM in my Manners EH1 stock with recoil pad has less kick than my old 308, I can shoot my 7 SAUM all day long without fatigue or any issues, the 6.5 PRC is going to kick less than the 7 SAUM, that being said, the Creedmoor will be "less" than the PRC and should have better barrel life.

Not sure how much that helps with your decision but both rounds are excellent options and you should be happy with either.

Reactions: HuntnPack