• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 Grendel bolt gun

It's kind of a toss between the Howa Mini 1500 and the CZ. By and large the Horde prefers the Howa. Legacy is a little finicky on support though.

I have one, and the GF and her two daughters have 3 of them, all shoot consistent .5 MOA with Hornady Black and American Gunner out to 300y. I have not pushed mine past that but once and that was load development (750y).

If you do your own cooking, you can load the COAL out to 2.32 (mag length) on the Howa with 130 & 140 class pills.

I am bias, all I have are 2 Grendes in gas and the one Howa. Zero time behind a CZ.

What is your intended use?

I was actually just thinking about a 6.5 for my wife eventually. She is pretty small but likes to hunt, so I thought a Grendel would be ideal. I am not sure there are many options out there are there? I will look at both of those though. Thanks for posting.

I was actually just thinking about a 6.5 for my wife eventually. She is pretty small but likes to hunt, so I thought a Grendel would be ideal. I am not sure there are many options out there are there? I will look at both of those though. Thanks for posting.

I can tell you that the Grendel is a very good cartridge for deer and pigs at reasonable ranges. I've killed several deer with both a 24" and 12" barrel at less than 100 yards, and also a pig at 320 yards with the 12" barrel. It would be an excellent choice for someone recoil sensitive.

Personally, I'm partial to the wood and steel 527s. Buds Gunshop had a deal for $500 for a 527 6.5mm last month. Maybe they're still doing that. The CZ's bolt can run a bit rough starting out but they turn into pretty nice actions once they're worn in. The set trigger's a nice feature but the 16mm dovetail scope ring options can be somewhat limiting. You're stuck with a 5-round single-stack steel magazine. The steel and wood makes for a relatively heavy rifle though if you're after a lightweight hunting rifle.

The Howas have nice metal bits and a decent trigger but all the flimsy rubber/plastic stuff is a turn-off IMO. Brownells has Mini 6.5 barreled actions on sale right now. You can get a DIP metal floor plate and you can swap out for a wood stock or an Oryx chassis if you want to throw money at it. I don't usually complain about it but I have inadvertently dropped the plastic magazine at the range, in the field and at home because of the forward placement of the mag release lever. There are solutions to that issue too.

I have no experience with the Ruger product though I gather its best selling point is how cheap it is... Maybe you can dress it up some after you've been separated from your $430.

I can't speak to the CZ's, but I have two Howa's and really enjoyed them. I have enjoyed the grendel in a bolt gun more than I thought I would.

I am wanting to hunt with it and shoot some targets just for fun mainly

Boyd’s makes a drop-in laminate stock for the Howa. They have a few shapes, many colors, and you can even order the length of pull very short and add a premium butt pad like you’d get on a Mcmillan or Manners(Pach Decelerator). Brownells puts their Mini barreled actions on a sale regularly. Got my last one for $357 if I recall.

I think the Grendel case in a mini sized action is a really nice match. About ideal for a junior or female imo. More than adequate for medium game. Mine aren’t finished yet, but one will be a .20 cal, and the other a 6 grendel.

DeV-gH26OpHUN-XdAe5NbYmjukTW251K6GCTATCq-aOaoSEq99Pc9WwKyLv8EzBIaUaXNKOgJMUQLekzWHq8cA6HYoxZF8RkjaGJWAOx2BukLjh3_99JmYaU9vbrAfpdgySTlox-wQBjJQNnHqbmQbq3Rchgh4O-ZolFrRyCYxP85cTnnPBRI4wX_5aZ0mPFm0R9i0a3MgcofQdrXaPEniD-Eth8ez22NGiRN6iBz86wdqP3HO_oO936lfra8zDUwU0T52_8NbL_1zk2SDMM3KbUeT1dg5T_G63WITx7vXFQQ-_zCwXrOZCOeimYn80yK4goKiK-RlvYUAlosbE1fJYPYedIVXSTFtWOxDBf3fkHCu19K8eyupCs5qLx8Id_X3SJImv_cKUgwFRDTixDZvvEaTS9_xKF-9i3WXIX5zUEPdwY5RpYKItNnM0yTd042RKn3rqR1RYLhCOWqxEPBLVwqTtdvP2MByPXJUf7zAuZ9GznvIblotTuijyQyrWRVsYeJ_MINDDJI_snk9WOOcJfgIlubpRKX6pxIU1GDRoPgNqrzCizfflVV_YfNOKvvFCXxWG11qlVoJsGERHzwQXEMkSGcI43nwL6f5I1aTbUZRMeAzu_8d9ok-2Io4VhDofAqmnz33PDFZcH-sBF_d37dCWQrVY=w1169-h877-no

ctiIc4zAMqzGJXr1_aImW7PlNMDknJpUFl-pLMQL8Zejz0Xip18Qr5wwp7OplcUvEhu-7a1weySZOjoRZPbIMRlKh4ZzQrnpSLKPhD3k8Eh2YvQq5Lrc__KmlWeu8rPBaNGWbz8ukSLVlO2zKmbic59FWOJCr8qFz5MrdE4Uiuh3o6_df6FVUYc4PjHGUWffKXGojIseA3-XqdTLVM99oIgxARCCfXCXvfn2gQOTxHp14S25ANIlsYMeEUCmU8X4H1Lai7S-1Y-sVGP9lWuuKG67rZrMd4JF4x8JdbOUKAitOsnsaLaNKgLotZyIRz-tV2z_xeQD445mIk7H93zF4Mlp3POjEhDFav4ar6NUZYceZuzrypwZPcfVOeqWzhRurSIWceFFFwws3AnijQOyU52Hy9KYE5lU_YwtxeJN4ot6TCR_aF4f8xLniHCqg6whTwLNidvXn9K_smOsySdQuIvw9yB6o28poU9J4QfbUwb8MlQ3Sf3gZR2VI3ZRsCMKe0Dnyc9vCqlQjXBegW4wmdub9mOU7wwwXtK_Do9i7id-l03AL684rVG8INcOrBbn7toKxw0lGRMvQr0MoIqthZpvyKhXwhBLIizebFPvGVivyIntKz1mOodgVWQdsnmav2yfVEKvzOalNJJFATH--08siLCxqmk=w1818-h877-no