PRS Talk 6.5 Grendel

whopper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
Is the Grendel used in PRS? Just curious, I have one I could use. I am sure there are better options but looking to use what I have vs a new build.

Also, I am a newbie to PRS. I hope to get into a match or two this year to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a 6mmAR gas gun in PRS for a couple years (6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm). Just like you, I shot what I had rather than buy a purpose built rifle for something I may, or may not stick with. It was the only rifle in my collection that accommodated > 5 rounds magazines. It worked fine and I'm sure the Grendel will too.

I just recently acquired an appropriate bolt gun to run in matches and used it in my first club match a couple weeks ago. From that experience, I will say that your scores will most likely go up with a bolt gun (mine did). I fought that notion for a long time because off the bench my gas gun was right up there with any bolt gun I had shot (at least until the current re-barrel on my 6mmAR, ughhh). In positional/semi-supported shooting the faster lock-time and mechanical simplicity of a bolt gun is a factor. A bigger factor than I thought it would be. The only downside to my first match with a bolt gun was pulling the trigger and nothing happening ;)... uhhhh, gotta cycle the bolt now...

If you're a newbie, I wouldn't worry about the gas gun keeping you off of the podium :D. It'll be the least of your challenges.

Last edited:
How much time do you have behind that Savage LRP in 6.5 creed? From a systems point of view, I think it would be a better starting point than the grendel, and I think they have 10 round mags for the factory bottom metal. Now if you have that Grendel all dialed in with dope and trigger time, it would be a good way to go for your first match, so that you focus less on the rifle and more on learning the game.

I wish I still had the LRP. I sold it a while back. I think this 260 I just bought will be good to get started. I found this on GunBroker for a decent price and decided it would be a good starting point. Might be a little heavy but we will see. I don't know much about PRS yet so I am not sure how much lugging I will have to do. I am sure I can handle it. Can't be any worse than a 80 pound ruck sack and M4

Forgot to post the picture
2c2402dd078cf5f7c00c5fd32f08b94f.jpg