• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 PRC Growing Industry Support?

Why will 300 PRC die off?
It’s a modernized 300 win mag.
I’d go 300 prc every day of the week and twice on Sunday over 300 win mag.

6.5prc is more in danger in my thoughts.
More competition and less useful for really long shots and less than optimal for bigger game in most hunters views.

It says it was geared to meet PRC speed restrictions but what serious gamer is gonna give up his/her Uber 6mm or even 6.5 CM?

More competition and less useful for really long shots and less than optimal for bigger game in most hunters views.

It says it was geared to meet PRC speed restrictions but what serious gamer is gonna give up his/her Uber 6mm or even 6.5 CM?
want a 300 NM? nah fam get a 300PRC and handload or even a 300 Sherman Magnum. dont even need a special action for it

Because there are too many cartridges that do the exact same thing as the 300 prc and everyone knows it...it can literally do nothing the 300 win mag can't.

The further the testing goes the clearer it gets.

So, it doesn't have a belt...that's it.

And the powder capacity is showing to be pretty negligible also.

Bench

so the 6.5 PRC, which does LESS than the 6.5 SAUM is more useful than something does more from the same basic shape without needing a rebated rim or belt?
The 300 prc market is already flooded by viable calibers...the elk hunters are not going to abandon the 300 win mag for this new cartridge.

The 6.5 prc on the other hand replaces the 6.5-284 Norma...it's a widely used cartridge with essentially no factory load market.

The 6.5 prc fills a void in the market. The 300 prc does NOT.

I have a 300 prc custom that I really like...but I have other .30's that it simply isn't outperforming.

And the 6.5 saum is a great cartridge...but again, if it's reload only it is dead on arrival.

Bench

Reactions: BCX
I have a 300 win mag and it’s great with 180 grain bullets and even shorter 200 grain bullets like Partitions. It is not great with the streamlined high BC 200 grain plus bullets that are so great long range. That’s where the PRC is suppose to shine. I don’t have a PRC yet, but it’s the first 300 offering I’ve ever seen that I thought could actually give the win mag a run for its money if they market it wisely and have a good supply line of reasonably priced ammo. Time will tell.

Benchmstr, are you getting the same performance from a standard throated 300 win mag that you get from your PRC with heavy bullets like the Eldm?

Last edited:
I think it's important to remember that the average hunter or shooter isn't on snipers hide or LRH. Industry support does appear to be growing for the 6.5 PRC. Time will tell if it remains an off the shelf option of if it falls away to a handloader specialty round. I'm happy with mine and with the right bullet I'd be confident taking shots on anything short of a grizzly in North America inside 500 yards.

I think it's important to remember that the average hunter or shooter isn't on snipers hide or LRH. Industry support does appear to be growing for the 6.5 PRC. Time will tell if it remains an off the shelf option of if it falls away to a handloader specialty round. I'm happy with mine and with the right bullet I'd be confident taking shots on anything short of a grizzly in North America inside 500 yards.
The 6.5 prc is killing it on long range hunting forums...the 300 prc isn't even being considered...just rediculed

Bench

I have a 300 win mag and it’s great with 180 grain bullets and even shorter 200 grain bullets like Partitions. It is not great with the streamlined high BC 200 grain plus bullets that are so great long range. That’s where the PRC is suppose to shine. I don’t have a PRC yet, but it’s the first 300 offering I’ve ever seen that I thought could actually give the win mag a run for its money if they market it wisely and have a good supply line of reasonably priced ammo. Time will tell.

Benchmstr, are you getting the same performance from a standard throated 300 win mag that you get from your PRC with heavy bullets like the Eldm?
Standard throat? Who does that in a custom rifle??

I shoot 225 eldm out of both...the only difference is a slightly better ES out of the prc....

Bench

I have a feeling the 6.5 prc will thrive and the 300 prc will die off.

im probably going to rebarrel my 300 prc into a 6.5 prc soon.

bench
There really isnt any correlation between them. I wish they wouldnt have named them as if theyre the same family - seems to cause quite a bit of confusion.

Because there are too many cartridges that do the exact same thing as the 300 prc and everyone knows it...it can literally do nothing the 300 win mag can't.

The further the testing goes the clearer it gets.

So, it doesn't have a belt...that's it.

And the powder capacity is showing to be pretty negligible also.

Bench
There are more cartridges similar to the 6.5PRC than there is the 300 PRC...

I shoot 225 eldm out of both...the only difference is a slightly better ES out of the prc....

Bench

Custom rifles don't drive firearms and ammo sales. Even rifles like Cooper, Christensen, etc... that are a more "factory" option than a full blown custom or semi-custom build are the minority compared to things like Rugers, Tikkas, Brownings, Remingtons, etc...

Dog Hornady all you like, but the SAAMI spec chamber dimensions on the Creedmoors and PRC's allow for better accuracy out of FACTORY rifles and ammunition than what you can get out of many of the older generation factory/SAAMI offerings. The 300 PRC allows for heavier, lower drag bullets, and better accuracy potential out of a factory rifle than the 300WM.

For every guy here that posts a custom build in .300 Norma or a .300 wm with a custom match reamer, there's probably a hundred or more guys out there buying factory rifles that shoot 1.5-2 MOA. Well if changing to a .300 PRC factory rifle and shooting Hornady precision hunter makes that a sub-MOA combo... Might not die off like you think.

Also, to answer your question; I use SAAMI spec reamers in all of my PRC and Creedmoor rifles. No reason to dick with it.

There's also the military contracts... Which may not last forever, but the same principles apply here, that the original standard offering in the PRC is going to shoot/function better than the .300wm.

My personal opinion is that they probably won't, but belted magnums should go away. "We're better than that now" :)

What does the industry support look like in 2020 for the 6.5 PRC?
Are there any more factory ammunition offerings in the horizon? Factory rifles?
I certainly hope that 2020 shows more support for the 6.5prc, hopefully in the form of more factory ammo offerings... something with a 140gr VLD or Accubond, and the 156gr Berger EOL would be tits! I just got a Christensen MPR in 6.5prc for my wife to use for elk and mulie hunting, and depending on how it performs, I may end up having to get myself one as well.

6.5 PRC is a good cartridge at max pressure w heavies but barrel life is about the same as a 6.5-284. I ran mine on a Surgeon WSM action w Accurate Mags. Barrel wasn't pretty w 800 rounds down the tube!

300 WM throated long w Berger 215/230 will run w the 300 PRC ALL DAY. The 300 PRC really needs a CIP length action to run the heavies and w that i would just run a 300 NM or improved version........ more marketing and hype to fuel the market.

Bench

I don't have a custom rifle, I have a Sig R93, and I could go into a long paragraph about the market forces that make a certain cartridge have a long life vs. dying out, but Ledzep already did a wonderful job of that above. I agree with him and would add if the 300 PRC is going to outpace the 300 Win mag, it will be because people discover what a great rifle it is for elk sized game without having to buy a custom rifle, with a custom throat, that requires custom reloading. From what I can see, if they build enough hunting rifles for it and the ammo manufactures supply good hunting ammo without it begin hard to source, it just might eventually displace the Win Mag. because in that category, it does outdo the 300 win mag. In my R93, loading a 225 eldm would take up a lot of powder space in my 300 Win. because I can't load them a way out due to my magazine, not to mention throat. The PRC negates this. I suspect it would be the same in other hunting rifles. If ammo for it was as easy to get as 6.5 Creedmore, they could have a real winner.

Reactions: Ledzep
Actually I do want a 300NM and possibly sling the new 250 atips

But a .535 bolt face long action is way more common and easier to swing.

Send me a PM when you get the 300NM, I have a 200gr solid that makes the 250 Atip look like a fat pig.
More BC, far less weight, lots more speed... think 3350+ from a 300 NM

barrel twist requirement? warner flatline or other maker?
9 twist is the slowest it flies in, we suggest 8.5 or 8 if you want to shoot to transsonic
It's the Warner Flatline 198 and I've been kicking around the idea of laying out a heavier version for a little bit faster twist, something in the 215 class but I have not worked out the details on it yet.

Y'all got any of that 6gt they selling???? But seriously Im a big fan of the 6.5PRC it filled in a hole I needed in my hunting projectile selection. As long as I can get brass im not too worried about more factory ammo. 300PRC i dont really see the point, i dont have one nor am i interested in one. Seems like sooner or later folks will tire of the "new" caliber bandwagon. My old man finally pulled the trigger on a 6.5 SAUM from gap. purchased high dollar brass ect from gap. About 6 months later 6.5 prc.... 1/2 price components he was not a happy camper.
How is the brass from ADG? Im still using up my original Hornady.

PRC is here to stay. There is no big time downside and solid FPS upside. Mine are all CM, but 6.5 and 300PRC are here to stay. You can hand load to PRC specs vs factory. But hand loaded PRC will outpace handled NOT PRC. If that makes sense.

PB

6.5 PRC is popular as a hunting round. I tested all the heavies w good results. 300 PRC we will see. I think the 30 Nosler is a much better case design.

The 300 prc market is already flooded by viable calibers...the elk hunters are not going to abandon the 300 win mag for this new cartridge.

The 6.5 prc on the other hand replaces the 6.5-284 Norma...it's a widely used cartridge with essentially no factory load market.

The 6.5 prc fills a void in the market. The 300 prc does NOT.

I have a 300 prc custom that I really like...but I have other .30's that it simply isn't outperforming.

And the 6.5 saum is a great cartridge...but again, if it's reload only it is dead on arrival.

Bench
What void does the 6.5PRC fill? And how does it outperform the 6.5CM?

Reactions: vergil
It’s a 6.5x284 Norma crossout with a SAAMI spec chamber, correct twist rate barrels for heavy for caliber bullets, and reasonably priced Hornady factory ammo. I bought mine as a do it all hunting caliber. I don’t compete or have time to reload anymore.
What do you shoot the PRC out of?

SO talking with Christesen and Bergara the 6.5 Creedmoor was beaten this year by the 6.5 PRC I haven't sold nearly as many 300 PRC few here and there. Only in Christesen and I have received any of my Bergara orders for the year

I hope 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC doesn't die. I am contemplating the 300 as I like the ballistics and i don't reload. I don't shoot much but when I do I like to stretch it out there.

SO talking with Christesen and Bergara the 6.5 Creedmoor was beaten this year by the 6.5 PRC I haven't sold nearly as many 300 PRC few here and there. Only in Christesen and I have received any of my Bergara orders for the year

I hope 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC doesn't die. I am contemplating the 300 as I like the ballistics and i don't reload. I don't shoot much but when I do I like to stretch it out there.

Bergara told you 6.5 PRC outsold the CM?

The small group of hunting buddies that I run around with are picking up the 6.5 PRC. 6.5-284 performance with factory ammo available was the easy button for them.

Reactions: BCX