• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 PRC Growing Industry Support?

It’d be great if Hornady made 6.5PRC in their American Gunner line. Load them up with the 140gr BTHP and sell them in the 200 rd packs for around the same price as the 6.5CM offering (maybe a little more...?). Decent and affordable ammo. As long as the accuracy and consistency is there, I’d buy a shit ton of that stuff!

Im also really looking forward to trying that 145gr Barnes OTM!

Reactions: 6brshooter
Looks like new ammo choices are in the works and hopefully grow.....
If Barnes and Federal start making factory offerings- that hopefully will be enough to keep it around. I was still on the fence about buying one, but that sure is encouraging

Barnes and Federal are making ammunition in 6.5 PRC. I think the Federal is called Terminal ascent it is a 6.5 PRC in 130 grain. Barnes has the VOR TX in 127 grain ammunition.

What are all yours thoughts in the 300prc vs the 30 nos? Does one have “better” performance over the other? Does one have a better chance at sticking around over the other?

What are all yours thoughts in the 300prc vs the 30 nos? Does one have “better” performance over the other? Does one have a better chance at sticking around over the other?
How I view it if you have use for bullets that are lighter than 180 grains go with the 30 Nosler. But if you want to use 200+ grain bullets go with the 300 PRC.

The 300 wm is awesome. But, the 300 prc may just win out because you can buy any rifle and any factory ammo and be successful. For the 300 wm to shoot the high BC bullets needs a "non-standard" twist and ammo. You have to know what you are doing and understand how to make the 300 wm perform. Lots of shooters have no idea.

The majority of gun buyers are not hand loading. The 300 prc is a factory out of the box solution for those that don't understand BC/twist rates/ballistics. That is something I think a lot of people don't calculate. Its the same reason the 6.5 creedmoor beat out the .260 rem. Hornady marketed and met that need in a big way with the 6.5 creedmoor. They made it easy for gun manufacturers as well.

Simple sells lots easier than complex...

Because there are too many cartridges that do the exact same thing as the 300 prc and everyone knows it...it can literally do nothing the 300 win mag can't.

The further the testing goes the clearer it gets.

So, it doesn't have a belt...that's it.

And the powder capacity is showing to be pretty negligible also.

Bench

Reactions: 42N8 1 and wade2big
The 300 wm is awesome. But, the 300 prc may just win out because you can buy any rifle and any factory ammo and be successful. For the 300 wm to shoot the high BC bullets needs a "non-standard" twist and ammo. You have to know what you are doing and understand how to make the 300 wm perform. Lots of shooters have no idea.

The majority of gun buyers are not hand loading. The 300 prc is a factory out of the box solution for those that don't understand BC/twist rates/ballistics. That is something I think a lot of people don't calculate. Its the same reason the 6.5 creedmoor beat out the .260 rem. Hornady marketed and met that need in a big way with the 6.5 creedmoor. They made it easy for gun manufacturers as well.

Simple sells lots easier than complex...
That’s is biggest advantages.
No special chamber requirements and factory ammo.

to me 300 PRC makes perfect sense.

I agree about the 6.5CM as well.
Taking the guesswork out, factory ammunition and better fit in original AICS and AR10 mags made it popular.

That’s is biggest advantages.
No special chamber requirements and factory ammo.

to me 300 PRC makes perfect sense.

I agree about the 6.5CM as well.
Taking the guesswork out, factory ammunition and better fit in original AICS and AR10 mags made it popular.

To the point of the OP, I think the same goes for the 6.5 prc as the 300 prc. Marketing something simple goes a long ways to beating out similar offerings like 6.5x284 and 6.5 SAUM.

People seem to resent what Hornady has done, but arguments against usually fall back on arguments like "cool-aid" and "this cartridge already can do it." Which don't take into account how the general market responded and why.

Hornady did not create the long range shooting market, but IMO they sure were on the bleeding edge of it and certainly accelerated its popularity and ease with the 6.5 cm that makes it fun and easy.

It sure looks to me like the 6.5 prc and 300 prc will succeed. Part of that is probably tailwinds from the success of their creedmoor success.

I think both will succeed primarily as hunting cartridges with a little bit of target/long range. So, they won't be as big as the 6.5 cm.

Reactions: 42N8 1
So how does this look in 2023? Is the PRC truly established in the US?

I moved to a 65CM last year. I use it for fun targets and deer in the woods. It does a good job, nice to shoot in a Blaser R8 with a match barrel. The UK market though is minuscule so it is hard to judge what is established and what is still a marketing fad.

65PRC has arrived over here as has 300PRC (I am sure they will manage to sell a dozen 😂). 7PRC yet to be seen. I am running the CM with 120gr @ 3000 fps which is good for most stuff but pushing a 143gr or 147gr ~3000 might be helpful for longer opportunities and our big stuff.

PRC match barrel is available at a great price so I have an itch. Had it ever since I came across the 7 SAUM, but thats a different thread...

I heard on I think Frank’s podcast that 6.5prc is currently the most commonly requested chamber for custom hunting rifles across the US.

Abundant factory ammo options available.

So yeah, very well-established here.

• Wow
Reactions: Chanonry2
Why buy a 6.5 PRC when you can do more with a 6.5 CM....if you use the 277 hybrid cases and are a handloader. A stock factory rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 150 SMK at 3056 fps faster than a factory 6.5 PRC, with excellent accuracy...The target shows a jump up in impact on the top ladder test of the top two loads loads. It's just what is available and not recommend doing, especially for most everyone here. Just buy a 6.5 PRC for now. Do not even think about it with brass cases. This is the future...large magnum cases are not needed, for high velocities, like 140s at 3150 fps from a 24" 6.5 CM factory barrel.

Attachments

• 20230524_144555.jpg
    20230524_144555.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230525_000703.jpg
    20230525_000703.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 31
Why buy a 6.5 PRC when you can do more with a 6.5 CM....if you use the 277 hybrid cases and are a handloader. A stock factory rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 150 SMK at 3056 fps faster than a factory 6.5 PRC, with excellent accuracy...The target shows a jump up in impact on the top ladder test of the top two loads loads. It's just what is available and not recommend doing, especially for most everyone here. Just buy a 6.5 PRC for now. Do not even think about it with brass cases. This is the future...large magnum cases are not needed, for high velocities, like 140s at 3150 fps from a 24" 6.5 CM factory barrel.
Well as a side project that is interesting. Where do you source the 277 hybrid case? Everything else safe, sounds like a recipe for a boom ?! I have been hand loading for ever so happy with that bit. I guess the rifle warranty is shot :)

Reactions: Terry Cross
Well as a side project that is interesting. Where do you source the 277 hybrid case? Everything else safe, sounds like a recipe for a boom ?! I have been hand loading for ever so happy with that bit. I guess the rifle warranty is shot :)
I have 1000 hybrid 277 cases, & have reloaded the first 100 hybrid cases 4 times. I am totally unconcerned about factory warranty on any firearm I own, and have never sent one back. I fix them myself, or on rare occasions make parts unavailable from suppliers. I have a brand new Bartlein 7.5 twist barrel ready to go, this one is 26" probably push the 140s close to 3200 fps or the 150 SMK to 3100 fps ...excellent accuracy around 3000 fps, with the 24"...how long will it last? Probably longer than my powder supply...although I did pick up a pound yesterday. These cases are surprisingly beating Lapua plama, and Lapua LR cases in accuracy in two different rifles, 308 with 230 SMK & 6.5 CM, with 150 SMK. Past experience says the hammer forged barrel will outlast the Bartlein cut rifled SS barrel. Checked the lugs for set back in both rifles, nothing has changed yet. I have the option of remachining or scrapping...so factory warranty never enters the equation, on experimental concepts or at any other time...just mentioning that, says your not up to speed. As most firearms manufacturers say any handloads void the factory warranty...
Working on other projects now.