• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5cm H4350 lod data

Singleshot

Burstfireguns.com
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2013
burstfireguns.com
Hey all, just started loading 6.5cm. Have a few questions hoping ya’ll can help out with.

Here’s what I will be loading with:
- Hornady and FGMM brass
- 210M primer
- 140 ELDM & 140 SMK
- H4350

Here’s my question..... and sorry if it’s asked. I tried searching but can’t find what I was looking for...

Load data on Hodgdon suggested 36 - 40gr for the powder on 140gr Amax. Showing that 40gr max load being a compressed load. Sierra data showed their 140 smk max load at 42gr.

Now, I know most here are generally loading and find their nodes between 41.5-43 gr.... and I had planned on starting with 41.0 and up to 42.8. Just want to make sure it is safe to push both above the suggested load data. Yes I understand to look for pressure signs. Just wanted to make sure.

Any insight/input you can provide here would be greatly appreciated.

What is safe in one rifle might not be in another. Many factors come into play that effect chamber pressure. I have a KRG SOTIC in 6.5 Creedmoor that does very well at 42.2 gr of H-4350 with both 140 gr ELDMs or SMKs with no pressure signs. Your results could be different, so start at 40 gr and work up.

You could start with the lowest charge - 1 round and going up in half grain increments until you see pressure signs or hit your desired velocity. I did it that way with my last rifle (AX) and had 3 rounds in a cloverleaf between 41.5 and 42.5. Viola, I settled on 42.0 giving me sub half moa with ES of 6 and SD of 3. That load has continued to be good, now at about 200 rounds. It may change as the barrel wears but I have my fingers crossed. Bastardized ladder but easiest load development ever.

Start low and be very careful watching for pressure. Gas guns will generally show pressure at lower charge weights than bolt guns and that should be respected.

The hodgdon load for the 140 Amax/Creedmoor is garbage. Look at the 142 above it and then look at the bullet below it, the one for Amax just isn’t following the trend at all. I’m really surprised they’ve never re-shot it to get some new data, because this very question comes up now and again. The load is compressed, it pressured out very early, and is very slow to boot. Me thinks their pressure testing equipment was improperly calibrated that day. You can find similar examples of bad data sprinkled throughout most loading manuals.

I’d start at 40gr, and you’ll almost certainly find a nice load between 41 and 42.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I got a great group and a s.d. of 10 at 40 grains.

Great sd again at 42, but no accuracy. I haven't played with seating depth yet to see if I can get it acceptably accurate with the higher speed.