• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5L vs. 6.5C vs. .260?

dconr003

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
Virginia, United States
I am just getting into Long range shooting and am looking for a great rifle to start from. I have been reading a lot and am interested in a rifle that can reach 1000y but has a little less recoil. Seems that these rounds are about the same but wanted some opinions on what you guys think about them. Yes, I did read the link to DEMIGOD LLC.

Thanks

Re: 6.5L vs. 6.5C vs. .260?

You will have NO problem getting to 1K and beyond with any of the offerings you listed. The only thing about the 260, it can run a little long in some short actions if you want to get the most out of it, and feed from the mag. The 6.5x47L will give you boat loads of extra room in a SA mag.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dconr003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">am interested in a rifle that can reach 1000y but has a little less recoil. </div></div>

Have you looked into the 243, it does all that and with even less recoil.

To answer the question you asked, 260.

Do you reload or plan to do so? That can/will be your limiting factor.

I shot the 6XC, 243, 308,etc. at 1000 yards. I really like the 6XC as well as the .243
These two rounds preform about the same with the .243 having a slight speed edge due to a bit more powder capacity.

If you choose a .243 you will have to go with a fast twist barrel...1 :7.5 or 1:8 would be best so you can take advantage of the higher BC bullets.
And again....you will have to load for these.

Another caliber to look at if your just going to punch paper is the 6BR. Tried and true round.
To do it on the cheap...buy a Savage LRPV 12 and a decent scope and your will be off and running.

Take care,Stan

That is going to narrow your choices down on factory ammo then. Without going with custom ammo, the CM or the Lapua are the only ones offering factory match grade ammo for the caliber you listed. Personally, I would get a reloading setup now and worry about getting out there later.

You will need quite a bit of ammo to learn to shoot LR effectively. Unless you can afford to shoot lots of factory ammo I would work on the reloading end.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2 dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will need quite a bit of ammo to learn to shoot LR effectively. Unless you can afford to shoot lots of factory ammo I would work on the reloading end..... </div></div>

Good advice here. Regarding your question, the .260 would be my choice. Don't let people dissuade you regarding the lack of Lapua .260 brass. You can resize .243 or .308 OR you can just use factory Remmy brass which, in my experience, has been more than up to the task.

Best of luck.

Any of them will do fine. the 260 may be the best from a logistics stand point as you can easily form from .243 or .308. The other 2 would be a fair bit more involved if brass availability became an issue. I personaly went with the 6.5L for the simple reason that my BR gun is chambered in it already.

I see this has been covered nicely. I either use Rem .260 brass or form it from Win .243 or 7-08. One pass therough the F/L die, and it's .260 brass. For the Sniper Elite, Lapua makes .243 brass.

Greg

I think the CM is an awsome round, and the Lapua is pretty dam good too, but each is a single source of brass, which is either really exspensive and/or not available, 260 brass is very easy to find in my AO, and can be made from .243 or 7-08 in a single pass in a FL die. On my first outing with my 260 last Thrusday Rem brass, 42.0 H4350, CCi BR2 primer, 139Scenar loaded at the lands produced groups of .2 and a .15moa, with speeds of 2800ish, ES/SD in the singles, and I have plenty of room to grow in AICS mags.

i also agree with 427cobra ... the 260
i am running rem 260 brass,win 7mm08 and lapua 308
i am shooting pretty warm loads as a test... 142smk @ 2850
so far im on my 4th loading of rem brass... 3rd on win and sec on lapua... they all shoot 1/2 moa or better
im noticing 1 or 2 primer pockets getting loose on the rems
in a comp you will loose alot more than that
also the flash holes on the rem are NOT centered, they still shoot really well
i also agree with bacarrat start reloading now, if not then get a 6.5 creedmore and alot of ammo hahaha

anyway you go the 6.5 is alot of fun

Personally i would go 260 Rem just for the availibilty of brass. I would not go with the CM or th x47 just due to the lack of components. I also would go with the 6.5 CM as Hornady was caught with their pants down in regards to that round becoming popular. The x47 is a good little round as well but has the smallest case capacity of the 3. I have a 260 and pushing the 140 AMAX around 2800 fps is hammering hard out long.

Guy's pls correct me if I'am wrong. Reloading with the creedmor would save a little on powder use, and allow to use/seat longer bullets without compressed loads. If I remeber the creed was produced by Hornady with a low chamber psi, and sold with reload data on the box. It may make a good staring point to step into reloading with, allowing some work in time at a known starting point with regards to bullet and powder combo + brass.

NDLOFIA, yes but most people are actually increasing the powder over the 6.5 CM loads on the box to increase the velocity. Also getting your hands on some CM ammo right now is difficult to say the least

To me, the CM is not worth trying. The brass is vastly inferior to the Lapua and not as economical as the .260Rem.

I went with the 6.5x47mm and have been very happy with it. It hurt, but I originally purchased 500 pieces of brass and thus far, I am still shooting the same 100 pieces. The brass lasts and lasts. Looking at the big picture, potentially not getting an additional 100-200fps is not important. I get 2800fps with a 139gr. That is more than I really need. If velocity was my goal, I would use a 6.5x284.

The .260 is a great round, but the 6.5x47 does everything I wanted with less powder and I love the small primers.

Guys, any word of wisdom on .243 Win vs .260 Rem (applications vary from long-range to hunting - seeking "universally usable" compromise)? How much would perceived recoil differ between these two?

Tnx!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any comments on barrel life comparison </div></div>

The 243 is more over bore than the 260 so it will have a shorter barrel life. You'll probably find most people are getting about 2k rounds out of a 243 running desireable loads. 260's getting 3k plus if not pushed too hard.

Barrels are expendable and you need to accept it as a matter of life. If you want excellent barrel life, shoot a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any comments on barrel life comparison </div></div>
Barrels are expendable and you need to accept it as a matter of life. If you want excellent barrel life, shoot a 308.</div></div>
Well, I do accept it - but I'm trying to minimize the hurt.
smile.gif

308 is a nice advice - but in some countries (India for example) it is prohibited caliber (or "Proscribed Bore"in their legaleze). So as much as I appreciate the affordability of 308 and availability of various ammo for it - must consider viable alternatives.

When looking at problem in 6mm, I found that a 6mm Remington, with a one in 7 twist, and on a long action, trumped a 243 substantially on performance ( read velocity and accuracy)... Velocity equaled a 6mm/06.. with less powder...

so building a long range rifle, even though I owned several 260s and a couple of 6.5 x 55s, and was able to test rifles owned by friends in 6.5 x 284, 6.5/06, 6.5/06 AI, and even access to a 264 Win Mag( which I passed on)....

I ended up building a 6.5 on a 6mm Remington case equivalent... or a 257 Roberts being the same case....on a long action, and went with a 28 inch barrel.. it equaled or beat the 284 case and 06 cases with all bullet weights...

just like the 6mm Remington on a long action, and seating bullets to magazine length, the 6.5 version beat the others or equaled the larger cases, while using less powder...

and even tho I knew it.... the idea was not new at all...

sure I could of called it a 6.5 x 6mm Remington....or even a 6.5 x 257 Roberts...but instead I labeled the barrel, that real old name that it was known by when it was developed in the early 1890s.... the 6.5 x 57...

hard to believe a capable round as it was, that it preceded the old 30/30 Winchester...

it even was flatter shooting, requiring less elevation, to 700 yds, than a 300 Win Mag shooting 180 grain match bullets, when loaded with 140 grain Sierra Match Kings..and 120 grain match kings...

a couple of FBI sniper team members got to test my rifle next to there rifles one rainy day at our local rifle range...the reduction in recoil and being flatter shooting than their rifles had them writing down the specs on my rifle... and a cartridge they never heard of... much less being shocked to find the cartridge was as old as the 30/30...

Back 15-20 yrs, I used 6 Rem brass trimmed to 55 Swede, I know, they are not the same size, but it worked in lieu of then scarce 55 brass.

No doubt, getting optimum seating/power capacity can make a round shine.

Any idea what a 55 vs 57 would compare in like bbls? Just curious.

Reloder 15 and a 27 inch barrel. It is a hot load, e.g. CCI 450 primer flow, but that is where it shot the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oly, what's your bbl length and what powder are you using to get 2800 with 139's? </div></div>