• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5x47 lapua

dconr003

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
Virginia, United States
I am new to the site and I am also new to accurate long range shooting. I have been shooting with my marlin .22 wsm and have become very comfortable with it. I now want to move up to a 6.5x47 lapua. Is it better to build one from the ground up or to buy one off the shelf. I am having trouble finding one for sale from a reputable manufacturer.

thanks

Re: 6.5x47 lapua

I do not think any major manufacture is producing a rifle chambered in 6.5L, I could be wrong. I love the 6.5L and had a barrel chambered and installed on my f-class rig. I think you will have to go custom or buy one on the classifieds on a site like this.

wade

Accuracy international will have new model rifles coming out in 6.5x47l coming out this year. They should be bartlien barrels chambered by Dave tooley.

As mentioned, not any factory offerings to speak of yet. The 6.5mm is the same as a 260 Rem bore (6.5mm/.264), and the 6mm cartrige is a 243 bore, you could purchase a factory (and plentiful) 243win or 260rem and have it rechambered and the barrel set back by a reputable smith. From my experience with the 6x47L and 6.5x47L, its all about barrel length and proper twist rate to get optimal performance out of the cartridge, 25-26" 1/8-8.5 twist is what I have used.

Kirk R

There are 2 6.5x47L's at my house. One was built by and is in the process of being refitted (new stock) by GAP, and the other was a PAI/APA build. Both are very accurate rifles.

Not sure how it was interpreted that they are for sale, neither is for sale. The GAP is mine and the PAI is my wife's. It makes it very nice when we shoot together to be able to use one dope card and wind calls. The throats are cut a little different, and the GAP takes about 1/2 grain more powder to make the same velocity due to the different OAL and barrel makers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy international will have new model rifles coming out in 6.5x47l coming out this year. They should be bartlien barrels chambered by Dave tooley. </div></div>

Any idea when this is supposed to happen ? I would perfer a 26" 6.5 Creedmore barrel, but I could live with 6.5 Lapua.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baldmonk01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy international will have new model rifles coming out in 6.5x47l coming out this year. They should be bartlien barrels chambered by Dave tooley. </div></div>

Any idea when this is supposed to happen ? I would perfer a 26" 6.5 Creedmore barrel, but I could live with 6.5 Lapua. </div></div>

Call GAP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baldmonk01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy international will have new model rifles coming out in 6.5x47l coming out this year. They should be bartlien barrels chambered by Dave tooley. </div></div>

Any idea when this is supposed to happen ? I would perfer a 26" 6.5 Creedmore barrel, but I could live with 6.5 Lapua. </div></div>

Call GAP </div></div>

I keep hearing it's a year wait on everything now. Has something changed and no one told me ?

If given the choice between 6.5 Creedmore and the 6.5x47, its a no brainer to run the 6.5x47.

Better speeds, better effiency of powder, less powder per shot, blah blah blah..

I run a Pierce 6.5x47. the only thing I am not thrilled about is the small rifle primer, but who cares really, it works not just fine, but great.

41.0gr of H4350
Federal GM205M
142 Sierra SMK
2880 FPS

Get one built, and it will surpass your expectations, if you shoot beyond 600 yards, dont plan on great things with 123gr bullets. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baldmonk01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep hearing it's a year wait on everything now. Has something changed and no one told me ? </div></div>

The AI barrels may be a while out still. GAP usually has Bartlien blanks on hand. As long as you don't want an odd twist or contour, they can have you a barrel in a week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If given the choice between 6.5 Creedmore and the 6.5x47, its a no brainer to run the 6.5x47.

Better speeds, better effiency of powder, less powder per shot, blah blah blah..

I run a Pierce 6.5x47. the only thing I am not thrilled about is the small rifle primer, but who cares really, it works not just fine, but great.

41.0gr of H4350
Federal GM205M
142 Sierra SMK
2880 FPS

Get one built, and it will surpass your expectations, if you shoot beyond 600 yards, dont plan on great things with 123gr bullets. YMMV. </div></div>

My problem with the 6.5x47 is that I have an AW and I hear they don't work well with small primers. So I would perfer to go the 6.5 Creedmoor route.

The barrel life on my first 6.5L for competition was about 1,600 rounds. It was on my F-class rig and I tend to shoot very fast when the conditions are good and the barrel can real hot in 22 shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baldmonk01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If given the choice between 6.5 Creedmore and the 6.5x47, its a no brainer to run the 6.5x47.

41.0gr of H4350
Federal GM205M
142 Sierra SMK
2880 FPS

Get one built, and it will surpass your expectations, if you shoot beyond 600 yards, dont plan on great things with 123gr bullets. YMMV. </div></div>

My problem with the 6.5x47 is that I have an AW and I hear they don't work well with small primers. So I would perfer to go the 6.5 Creedmoor route. </div></div>

I know Zak Smith wrote about the primer issues. He attributed it to a large firing pin hole if I recall. My AW has shown no signs of cratering out of the box with hot .308 loads. My Surgeon 6.5L does not have any issues with loads that are much hotter than I would normally shoot. The primer's don't even crater in the Surgeon. Maybe it is the small rifle mag primers I use but I don't think my AW will have an issue. AW goes in tomorrow for a 6.5L swap. I know the 6.5L is a higher pressure chambering than .308, but my experience with mine says this is a non-issue.

Yep. had this conversation with Dave last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy international will have new model rifles coming out in 6.5x47l coming out this year. They should be bartlien barrels chambered by Dave tooley. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel life on my first 6.5L for competition was about 1,600 rounds. It was on my F-class rig and I tend to shoot very fast when the conditions are good and the barrel can real hot in 22 shots. </div></div>

I don't shoot F-class, but I understand trying to run good conditions and the damage that can cause.

My 6.5L has just over 1K rounds down it, mostly normal slow fire, and the throat looks pretty rosy in the bore scope. This very same barrel is getting set back and put on my AW but I'm expecting 3500 rounds of life at the low end. Only the occasional rapid fire, and never 22 in a string.

The issue with the bolt and small firing pin hole can be fixed by having your smith simply bush the bolt. I get cratering where the primers flow into the bolt, but since its such a small issue, I have not gotten it fixed yet. I will drop it off at Pierce eventually, if it ever becomes a "real" issue.

My 6.5L has around 1650 rounds down the pipe, and still balls on accurate, lots of rapid fire match shooting, no issues, I suspect this barrel is about half way through its life. Broughton barrel.

I got my buddies 6.5 Creedmore up to about 2850 with H4350 and was blowing primers right out of the brass. If you get a 6.5 Creedmore to shoot long range, your new life goal will be to get acceptable speed out of it, like that you can easily obtain with the 6.5x47L, good luck with that. The Creedmore is the .308 of the 6.5 world, and that is not a compliment.

In Norway barrellife in 6.5x55 with 123gr@3100fps is generally accepted as 3000 - 3500 rounds. Most matchrifles has tapered bores in both hammerforged/Sauer barrels or in cut rifled Schultz&Larsen barrels. S&L taper the bore in the barrels in the finishing/polishing process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue with the bolt and small firing pin hole can be fixed by having your smith simply bush the bolt. I get cratering where the primers flow into the bolt, but since its such a small issue, I have not gotten it fixed yet. I will drop it off at Pierce eventually, if it ever becomes a "real" issue.

My 6.5L has around 1650 rounds down the pipe, and still balls on accurate, lots of rapid fire match shooting, no issues, I suspect this barrel is about half way through its life. Broughton barrel.

I got my buddies 6.5 Creedmore up to about 2850 with H4350 and was blowing primers right out of the brass. If you get a 6.5 Creedmore to shoot long range, your new life goal will be to get acceptable speed out of it, like that you can easily obtain with the 6.5x47L, good luck with that. The Creedmore is the .308 of the 6.5 world, and that is not a compliment.

Sorry to sort of barge in here,

but are your figures anything like this
Meter Mil
200 0,4
300 1,0
400 1,7
500 2,5
600 3,4
700 4,4
800 5,5

Best regards Chris

</div></div>

You may or may not have an issue with the small rifle primers in an AI.

I just put a 6.5L barrel on my AE and am piercing primers. Large rifle primers were perfect on both 6.5 CM and 308. My bolt is out now for the bushing and turning down the pin. Its not a huge deal, and a pretty cheap mod, but something you should be aware of. Hopefully I will report next week that it solved the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may or may not have an issue with the small rifle primers in an AI.

I just put a 6.5L barrel on my AE and am piercing primers. Large rifle primers were perfect on both 6.5 CM and 308. My bolt is out now for the bushing and turning down the pin. Its not a huge deal, and a pretty cheap mod, but something you should be aware of. Hopefully I will report next week that it solved the problem.

</div></div>

I'm contemplating going .260 Rem due to the small primer issue with an AI, even though .260 is not near as load friendly as the other 2.

Some say it's downright finicky.

My .260 wasn't finicky. Between three bullets and three powders and combinations of all of them, there wasn't one that wouldn't hold MOA at 600 and 800(load test distances). My feeling is that it is no more finicky than a .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may or may not have an issue with the small rifle primers in an AI.

</div></div>

What bullets were you shooting and at what velocities when you started getting piercing issues?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">140 gr. VLDs, absolutly no other pressure signs. It is actually a fairly light load. Velocity is about 2750 from a 26" Kreiger. </div></div>

How well does the AI dissipate the pierced primer? I notice AI has no Hatcher hole. I have never pierced a primer with my AW in 308. I am wondering if I would have to start using safety gasses if I rebarreled.

I removed the 6.5X47 barrel from the Surgeon and had it installed on the AW. The smith set it back from 26 to 24 inches. He cut the chamber using the same reamer as before.

Yesterday I shot it for the first time using JLK 130's and Lapua 123's. This was ammo loaded for the barrel when it was on the Surgeon. The 130's were going 2850 when the barrel was 26", the 123's were going 2925.

I didn't have the chrono with me but I had no issues with piercing primers, only very slight cratering.