• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5X55 for R700 LA build?

TARFU

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
PA
First, hello to hide members. Been on AR15.com for a while and kept hearing about "The guys on the hide say this and that" so I've been checking it out.

I have an older R700 LA 30.06 sporter that I want to build into a precision rifle. I would use this for long range but also PA deer hunting. What calibers are best performers. I do reload. I would like to stay away from magnums as 30.06 gets uncomfortable for me after awile. Thanks.

Re: 6.5X55 for R700 LA build?

6.5 swede is a wonderful low pressure high performance round. The bolt face is .480 but a lot of the ammo runs a bit shy of that and the .473 bolt may work with
out opening it up at all. Take your bolt to a gunstore and see if the ammo fits it.

If you decide to go with the 6.5x55mm, which is a wonderful round, no bolt modifications are needed for domestic brass (e.g. RP and WW) with the 0.473" casehead. If you intend to use Prvi, Norma, or Lapua, be prepared for minor modifications as the European makes use the original 0.479" casehead size.

I would like to get by with truing the action and installing a barrel and going with an AICS. So sounds like if I use domestic brass, I'll be okay with the bolt.

The Swede is a good round. But if you want the most velocity in a long action with a .473 bolt face in 6.5mm, I'd look at the 6.5-06. It is a great round for long range and will perform well on deer. The Swede will run a little slower than the 6.5-06, so if that is the goal, it would be a good choice. I like the 6.5 caliber.

I guess I'll the the smith decide if he needs to do anything with the bolt when he barrels the action. So far we have 6.5X55 and 6.5-06. Any other calibers worth looking at in LA?

Personally, I would stick with the 6.5x55.
Both the x57 and '06 are viable, but then you have more case work to be done. You can get some pretty good velocities with the 55 case, more than enough for deer and approaching 6.5x284 velocities. Of course, that is not what it is about with this cartridge, loasded slightly hotter than the american ammo, you will still have a light recoiling, deep penetrating, highly efficient round.
My Dad just used his Savage rebarreld in 6.5x55 to harvest a very nice, rather large cow elk. The powder puff american ammo loads are quite sufficient for deer, the penetration is outstanding.
In addition, loaded with the 123 grain scenar, you will have an exceptional, very long rang whistle pig gun.

That being said, don't forget about the 7x57 mauser. Like the Swede, when loaded to modern pressures, it is an outstanding cartridge, suitable for anything that can be taken with the '06. The 130-145 grain bullets really work well. The Speer 130 grain spire point is an exceptionally accurate deer slayer, offering good terminal performance and light recoil. There are also light weight varmint bullets available in 7mm. Bullet selection tips in favor of the 7mm, but you can get a bullet for any need in both 6.5 and 7.

Just a heads up on ammo. HSM in Montana is making 6.5x55 142gr HPBT with a MV of 2700. I think you have to purchase this ammo through SC. Here's a link:http://www.snipercentral.com/hsmammo.htm

I purchased a case for a rifle that is almost completed. So, unfortunately I can't say how it shoots yet. However, I have shot HSM .300 win mag 190gr HPBT and .308 175gr HPBT; they preformed great.

Jamie