• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5x55 Hunting rifle build

ratton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
Nevada
I am considering building a 6.5x55 for hunting. I have read that this caliber is very accurate, light recoiling and can be used as an all purpose caliber for hunting. Would it be sort of like a European 30.06 ? I have a 30.06 presently. I was contemplating building a 6.5x55 from a old Remington 30.06 action. I would like to but a Hart #4 fluted barrel, in a McMillian edge stock. Do ya all think this would be an improvement over a 30.06? Would a 8 twist barrel in 22-24 length be optimum? Well share your thoughts, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance

Re: 6.5x55 Hunting rifle build

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 Swede. I'm considering doing a 6.5x55 build in a falling block action. If I was going to build on an old 30-06 size action, I'd probably build a 270 or 25-06.

My Tac Ops 6.5x55 shoots lights out and there is very little recoil. In Europe the 6.5x55 have been used to take down moose (look closer to an elk in the U.S.). It's all about shot placement.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

Jamie

6.5x55 has a bit of a bad reputation with some outfits in our area. Just too many runners. The reason mostly wrong ammo choice. Lapua for example has a 156gr "Elk" factory load which has very low velocity out of a 22" hunting barrel. When smallish deer are heart shot the bullets mostly just piss through without expanding (much).
Loaded with Norma 120gr balistic tips seemed better for smallisch deer. I think it is a totally overrated cartridge, suitable for an expert. Have or had a shooting buddy with a swede, running after his winged deer really pissed me off and I don't go with him anymore. Funny thing was his shot placement was mostly very good.
I'd rather go for a 7-08
edi

A moose is a moose, the largest deer on the planet.
Even big elk are small compared to moose.

Bullet selection is always important.
A camp I know has been considering moving from 7MM mag to .300WM due to lost deer in TEXAS. Poor placement plus no expansion means lost deer.

Try 95gr ballistic tips in the ribs with those 6.5s, they won't run far.

The .243 with 80 or 100gr bullets may be the premium Texas deer cartridge.

Didn't Walter Maitland Dalrymple Bell shoot a bunch of jumbo with a 6.5x57 or something similar?

The 6.5x55mm is a fine hunting cartridge and has a lot to offer. Recoil will not be a problem even in a very light weight rig. My big game hunting rifle is a 700KS in 6.5x55mm and I love it. 1-8" or 1-8.5" twist will work and barrel length is not that critical.

Hard to improve on a 30-06, especially for all around hunting. But, the Swede is also a fine caliber. If you are just looking for something new, that is a great choice. I think lighter recoil is about the only real advantage it will offer over the 30-06.

Bottom line, there are about a zillion good hunting cartridges for up to CXP3 class game: just about anything in 6.5mm on up in a 308-sized case on up. Far more important than cartridge selection is bullet selection for hunting. The trick is to select bullet that will reliably penetrate into the vitals and then fully expand... at the expected terminal velocity. There are a lot of combinations of terminal velocity and bullet that will "git er done" In years past, when bullets were more primative, selection of cartridge was critical. Modern bullets have changed that situation dramatically.

Just started hunting with the swede this year, in the past, I've used 30-06, 270, 243, 7-08, 25-06, and a few others. I think that with the right bullet, the swede is pretty close to the perfect mid-size game cartridge. Out of a 22.5 inch Tikka, it will push a 100 BT to 3300fps, 140's to around 2800. Easy to load for, crazy accurate, mild recoil, great BC's. I like it.

The 6.5x55 has been used to take elephant.
Seems they are bigger than elk.
Improper bullet selection in any cartridge will result in poor performance.
Don't waste your time with American made 6.5 ammo. It is suitable for whitetails and nothing larger.

About the "a moose is a moose" comment.
There are different species of moose, just as there are different species of dog.

A "dog is a dog", then compare the Chihuahua to the Great Pyrenees.

Very popular cartridge in....Sweden. A lot of moose are slain by this cartridge each year, usually with 10 gram/156 grain bullets, for example Norma's Oryx. Wild boar is also slain with this or other combos.

I have one (Sauer 200 STR) but only shot roe deer, hare and fox with it, great result though.

It is also my competition rifle of choice and then I shoot Norma's factory loaded 130 grain VLD moly bullet, which I also have used on smaller game with good results.

Hardly equal to 30-06 when it comes to penetration/energy/expansion but as long as you stay on the right side of heavy weight moose's and stay off large dangerous game, you shouldn't have a problem. When you don't need the extra energy, you might even have better luck with the 6,5 since it's easier to shoot in a light rifle, at least for me.

Good luck!

Edit: Swedish male moose generelly weighs between 400-500 kg.

Holy Shit - I did not know that the moose were that big. I like the 6.5 a lot for the same reasons. Besides my .260 I have a .264 Win Mag that is a baby doll to shoot! No brake reguired.

Boy did I get verbally beat at Elk camp in Idaho when I showed up with it, until I took an Elk at 645 yards with it : )

Good luck and got to love the 6.5's

JamieD

fdkay, only one species, several subspecies.
The Shiras is still freaking huge.

All domestic dogs are the same species.

Interestingly, the Europeans refer to what we call moose (a native American word) Alces alces as elk, elg, alg, etc.

The closest Euro relative to our elk (Cervus canadensis) is the red deer (Cervus elaphus). Instead of a whistling bugle, the red deer has more of a bovine bawl, referred to as a roar.

The Asian Cervid, whose common name escapes me at present has a wapiti-like bugle, though.