• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6 dasher bullet to start out

Grog11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
Anthem, Arizona
I’m gearing up for 6 Dasher and I’m trying to decide on a bullet to start out. Recommendations needed!

I’ll be running Varget and a 7.5 twist barrel around 26”. Also, this is going to be PRS style matches out to around 1300 yards. I was going to just go with the 110 SMK’s or the Berger 105 hybrids (which I gather are pretty hard to go wrong with). Any other suggestions? 110’s worth getting for the distance? Don’t reinvent the wheel and just do 105’s?

Also, what are people running for a mag kit? I see the HRD kits are a little more $$ than PVA kits, are they worth it?

Thanks!

105 hybrids are the easy button, 110’s we’re inconsistent for me. Gonna try DTAC’s next barrel but for now 105 hybrids are my go to. Love the HRD mag kits, I’m running those in my AW mags.

thanks for the feedback, guys! I think i’ll Just take the easy way on this one with the proven bullet, and then start messing around once I’m more comfortable loading with Dasher.

I've shot a 500 round box of the Hornady 105 BTHP. They give up a couple tenths in the wind to the hybrids, but they are one-hole accurate from my gun about 0.030' off (1.705 bto). I get 2950 fps with IMR 4166 at an SD of 5. And under $100/500ct to boot.

Have to watch the lot-to lot variation in length with these too. I failed to do this recently and went to a match with two different lots with a base-to-ogive difference of about 0.025". Pretty hard to shoot a match with random ammo shooting two different velocities and points of impact....

Learn from me: get a comparator and use it.
/tangent

Reactions: 308pirate
Again, much appreciation for the replies! Since I have never loaded wildcats before, I have decided to get started with the straight 6br so I don’t have to go through all of the forming while getting into 6mm from 308. My plan is to form for dasher with the brass I already have from that load down the line (after I melt a couple barrels). I got the 105 hybrids!

Again, much appreciation for the replies! Since I have never loaded wildcats before, I have decided to get started with the straight 6br so I don’t have to go through all of the forming while getting into 6mm from 308. My plan is to form for dasher with the brass I already have from that load down the line (after I melt a couple barrels). I got the 105 hybrids!

Great choice, i shoot a 6br with 105 Hybrids and it keeps up with the dashers etc at matches just fine. Last match i shot it out to 1200 yards without issue.

Also running the HRD mag kit in my AW mag. Had an issue at first with jamming but it was because the AW mag will easily accept 11 rounds, i found that if i loaded that 11th round, it would sometimes jam up during feeding. Ive been loading 10 since and not had an issue.

I shot 110's in my 8 twist barrel just fine last year. I got a 7.5-twist this year and came into a bunch of 105's Berger Hybrids. Been shooting them very successfully. I'll eventually try all the 110's I have on hand once the 5's are gone. Either bullet has worked great for me.
.104 freebore, 26" Bartlein.

Great choice, i shoot a 6br with 105 Hybrids and it keeps up with the dashers etc at matches just fine. Last match i shot it out to 1200 yards without issue.

Thanks for saying that! The majority of posts here (relevant to to 6br stuff), are about the 6br variants and not so much the 6br. I get the feeling that most shooting this type of cartridge feel that the straight up 6br isn’t powerful enough to get it done at distance, so it’s encouraging to hear someone say that it can. I guess I’ll see for myself soon enough!

Also running the HRD mag kit in my AW mag. Had an issue at first with jamming but it was because the AW mag will easily accept 11 rounds, i found that if i loaded that 11th round, it would sometimes jam up during feeding. Ive been loading 10 since and not had an issue.

What kind of speeds are you running? I picked up a CBI 6BR barrel and I'm getting ready to start loading for it. I have an assortment of bullets and powder to try. I have a pound Varget but would like to use something else since it is nearly as hard to find as H4350 without resorting to shipping.

My Nucleus isn't cut for AW magazines, what other double stack mags have reliable BR/Dasher kits available? Are there any for MDT, Accurate mag or Alpha out there?

What kind of speeds are you running? I picked up a CBI 6BR barrel and I'm getting ready to start loading for it. I have an assortment of bullets and powder to try. I have a pound Varget but would like to use something else since it is nearly as hard to find as H4350 without resorting to shipping.

My Nucleus isn't cut for AW magazines, what other double stack mags have reliable BR/Dasher kits available? Are there any for MDT, Accurate mag or Alpha out there?

2855fps out of a 26” hawk hill.
Using 29.3gr of H4895. I tried both varget and 4166 but got about 75fps less out of them before pressure. Works for me because like you said, it’s nice not to have to hunt for powder.

HRD makes kits for AICS mags too. I’ve heard some good things about the new MDT mags with no kits, but can’t confirm myself.

I have had practically no issues (maybe 2 rounds out of 500) feeding 6BR fireform loads into my 700SA Dasher through 5rd Magpul Pmag 7.62 ACs.
I had the same experience until I didn’t, it worked for me for a couple matches, then the follower started getting stuck and tilting. I found after some testing I had just been getting lucky, the follower tilts at such an extreme angle when full of BR rounds it’s just waiting to be an issue.

Our magazines can be run without kits for Dasher and they seem to be mostly working out just fine. We have had a couple guys run a modified PVA and Primal Rights kit in our 12 rounders, with more positive results coming from the PVA. We also have something pretty cool in the works that should be available on our site in the next couple months!

Reactions: JS624
2855fps out of a 26” hawk hill.
Using 29.3gr of H4895. I tried both varget and 4166 but got about 75fps less out of them before pressure. Works for me because like you said, it’s nice not to have to hunt for powder.

HRD makes kits for AICS mags too. I’ve heard some good things about the new MDT mags with no kits, but can’t confirm myself.
I’ll try 4166, 8208 XBR and Varget since I have them. I don’t think RL16 or H4350 will work. I may have to buy some H4895, but heard it can be hell on throats.

The AICS mags are single stack right? I’d like to use DSSF if I can get reliable feeding to keep them shorter. I went to Alpha DSSF in my RPR from Magpul AC mags and it was a big help on barrels and other positional shooting. I’m hoping that the teaser from Josh is turn key short cartridge mag options and kits for mags already out there. Fingers crossed.

I’ll try 4166, 8208 XBR and Varget since I have them. I don’t think RL16 or H4350 will work. I may have to buy some H4895, but heard it can be hell on throats.

The AICS mags are single stack right? I’d like to use DSSF if I can get reliable feeding to keep them shorter. I went to Alpha DSSF in my RPR from Magpul AC mags and it was a big help on barrels and other positional shooting. I’m hoping that the teaser from Josh is turn key short cartridge mag options and kits for mags already out there. Fingers crossed.

I tried RL16 and the velocity was there, with a compressed load, but the accuracy was not what I’d hoped for. H4350 isn’t fast enough to make it a viable option in BR.

Our magazines can be run without kits for Dasher and they seem to be mostly working out just fine. We have had a couple guys run a modified PVA and Primal Rights kit in our 12 rounders, with more positive results coming from the PVA. We also have something pretty cool in the works that should be available on our site in the next couple months!

Do your 10 and 12 magazines without the binder plates feed BR rounds ok without the kits?

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I tried RL16 and the velocity was there, with a compressed load, but the accuracy was not what I’d hoped for. H4350 isn’t fast enough to make it a viable option in BR.

Thanks, that will save me some time and money as it sounds like the 4350 speed powders are too bulky for the small case.