• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report 6x47 Lapua vs 6mm Creedmoor

HillBilly_Sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    Mountains of SWPA
    Not sure which one to go with. Wanting to shoot the 108gr ELD. Will be used for long range hunting (medium sized game) as well as some matches. Gonna build it on a trued Rem 700 action. I reload only so the availability of factory ammo doesn’t matter to me. Both has good brass to choose from. I’d us the SRP brass if I went 6 Creedmoor. They seem quite equal as far as ballistics so I’m stuck on which to go with. Which would you go with and why?

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
    There is really no downside to either in terms of performance. I have a 6x47 and my buddy has a 6 creedmore and we both push same bullet within 10-20 fps of each other and that’s due to where the nodes are. We could both run them harder but no need. I’ve shot the same 3/8 moa or less group with both rifles and neither is at a disadvantage at the range.

I run necked down lapua brass and about done with first round getting shoulder formed on all of them but accuracy has been outstanding so far.

Only main reason to go 6 creedmore is of the shelf ammo. I reload 99% if what I shoot so no big deal as long as I remember ammo when leaving for a match.

I have two 6x47L rifles. One a Surgeon in AIAX chassis and the other an AIAX rifle. I really like them both but would never choose to chamber for it. I would go 6CM due to case capacity advantage. When these barrels are done I will sell off my dies and a couple cases of 6.5x47 brass and move to the 6 CM. No need in giving up 100 FPS.

If you were using formed lapua 6.5 creed for the 6 creed, they’d be absolutely identical except for a slight capacity advantage to the Creedmoor. I have both reamers, and I’d pick the creed personally.

To give more detail, using Lapua brass necked to 6MM for both cartridges, the CM has 10-11% more capacity and identical case form but .300 longer. The increased capacity will yield about 75-100 FPS increased velocity at the same pressure. I really see no downside to the 6 CM. Both are very good. I prefer the CM but have the 6x47 so will stick with it until barrels are done.

Theory says it must be slightly better but in practice I think individual factors of bullet choice, powder choice, powder amount, steal of barrel, rate of twist and rate of fire would be the deciding factor.

To give more detail, using Lapua brass necked to 6MM for both cartridges, the CM has 10-11% more capacity and identical case form but .300 longer. The increased capacity will yield about 75-100 FPS increased velocity at the same pressure. I really see no downside to the 6 CM. Both are very good. I prefer the CM but have the 6x47 so will stick with it until barrels are done.

Just a minor correction here. The case lengths to the shoulder for each case are .086 apart, not .300. The 47 neck is nearly identical to the creed, but technically .011 longer.

Well damn thought for sure I’d get some info tonoush me one way or another but it’s still dead locked. Guess it’s gonna have to some down to a coin flip. Anyone ever try using the HS DBM with either of them? If one feeds better than the other that may push me one way or the other since I plan to hunt with the rifle.

From what I’ve seen even if you can get 100 fps advantage out of creedmore if you shoot matches with 3150-3200 speed limit you’ll never take advantage of that spread as 3100+ is attainable with 6x47 with a 105 easily.

I’m pushing a 110 smk 3030-3040 with 5.5 grains less powder (different powder) than a 6 creedmore to go 3040-3050 same bullet both 24” barrels neither shows pressure. I bet if we both found max loads the creedmore might have the advantage but likely going to be capped by speed limit anyway especially on a 105.

Pick whichever you want you can’t go wrong with either. I went 6x47 because I wanted something efficient and accurate, not sure it’s more accurate than creedmore but I do think it’s more efficient.

From what I’ve seen even if you can get 100 fps advantage out of creedmore if you shoot matches with 3150-3200 speed limit you’ll never take advantage of that spread as 3100+ is attainable with 6x47 with a 105 easily.

I’m pushing a 110 smk 3030-3040 with 5.5 grains less powder (different powder) than a 6 creedmore to go 3040-3050 same bullet both 24” barrels neither shows pressure. I bet if we both found max loads the creedmore might have the advantage but likely going to be capped by speed limit anyway especially on a 105.

Pick whichever you want you can’t go wrong with either. I went 6x47 because I wanted something efficient and accurate, not sure it’s more accurate than creedmore but I do think it’s more efficient.

Can I ask what powder you ended up using?

Thanks for the info I have about 6 pounds of varget to go then might look at switching over. Really haven’t seen any pressure signs with current load but barrel life is worth considering for sure.

I think I’ve got more room to go up, no pressure at all right now. Once I get done with first firing on brass the barrel will have 400 rounds on it I’m gonna run another quick load development. I quit after first 20 rounds on new barrel as I had the numbers I was looking for until barrel was broke in. Want to wait until the minor fire forming is done and can settle on a final load from there.

I think I’ve got more room to go up, no pressure at all right now. Once I get done with first firing on brass the barrel will have 400 rounds on it I’m gonna run another quick load development. I quit after first 20 rounds on new barrel as I had the numbers I was looking for until barrel was broke in. Want to wait until the minor fire forming is done and can settle on a final load from there.

Has your barrel sped up at all?

Has your barrel sped up at all?

Yes it sped up 60 fps pretty quick using a lab radar I had most all of the first rounds data. I have not checked it since then in the last 150-175 rounds of practice and a local match my Lab radar has been acting up since shooting my 300 Norma and a 338 with a big brake next to it. I did note it shooting a little flatter last time out so it may have jumped a little more. Once that is fixed I’ll check again and compare to last data.

Yes it sped up 60 fps pretty quick using a lab radar I had most all of the first rounds data. I have not checked it since then in the last 150-175 rounds of practice and a local match my Lab radar has been acting up since shooting my 300 Norma and a 338 with a big brake next to it. I did note it shooting a little flatter last time out so it may have jumped a little more. Once that is fixed I’ll check again and compare to last data.

That's about how much mine increased from baseline as well. It jumped 40 fps by around 300 rounds, then another 20 by 400 rounds, but settled in after that.

I love my 6x47. It’s been easy to load for, for the most part. The 110 smk would shoot fine most times and others I’d have unexplainable fliers at distance. Moved over to 108 and rl16 and that is the answer, phenomenal load. I’ve had as little as 3” of vertical spread at 1350 yards on 4 rounds. My buddy has nearly identical rifle in 6 creedmore (both AIAX’s) and we both had similar velocity nodes with 110’s until I switched loads. I’m at 1200 rounds on this barrel and next one is on order already, 6x47 again. Mine still has life in it just wanted the next one here when this one goes. His 6 creedmore is at 14-1600 and at last match suspected it was going south.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. My buddy ordered a 6xc this go around instead of creedmore though.

I love my 6x47. It’s been easy to load for, for the most part. The 110 smk would shoot fine most times and others I’d have unexplainable fliers at distance. Moved over to 108 and rl16 and that is the answer, phenomenal load. I’ve had as little as 3” of vertical spread at 1350 yards on 4 rounds. My buddy has nearly identical rifle in 6 creedmore (both AIAX’s) and we both had similar velocity nodes with 110’s until I switched loads. I’m at 1200 rounds on this barrel and next one is on order already, 6x47 again. Mine still has life in it just wanted the next one here when this one goes. His 6 creedmore is at 14-1600 and at last match suspected it was going south.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. My buddy ordered a 6xc this go around instead of creedmore though.
    Awesome. Keep those data points coming.

I ended up building a 6 Creedmoor and loading the 105 VLDs with great results. Was easy to load and tune. I’ve run it out to 1,000yds on steel so far with many cold bore hits. I did get Peterson SRP brass loaded with H4350 and CCI mag primers.
    E833F1EF-B9BC-4C44-9E07-9F6A04A9C6B5.jpeg