• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

7.62x54 Brass

PSL1078

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
GA
I am looking to reload for my PSL. Anyone know where I can get some Brass? Lapua is out of the question.....I would rather buy PRVI SP rounds to use and reload the brass cases.....

Re: 7.62x54 Brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Norma. Have you tried Winchester? </div></div>

Winchester is made by S&B

Sellier and Bellot x54r cases in the past have been know to have very shallow primer pockets that will not accept a LR primer. Mine were no exception.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.W.Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Norma. Have you tried Winchester? </div></div>

Winchester is made by S&B

Sellier and Bellot x54r cases in the past have been know to have very shallow primer pockets that will not accept a LR primer. Mine were no exception. </div></div>

Mine didn't have any trouble with it, but I only had 100pcs and they were c. 2000 production.

The PPU brass has shown me to be pretty decent considering it's price point. For that PSL you're going to put these in, I would not advocate dropping the money for Norma or Lapua.

If one can somewhat improve the accuracy of his rig, why not go for Norma and try it out? There are not too many rifles to choose from in that caliber, especially in a SA configuration.
PSL1078, I am not sure, I'll dig through a ton of ammo I got stored sometime next week and if I find some Norma 7.62x54R, I will send you a box free of charge just for testing purposes. I had this ammo but not sure if it's been all used up or not. I will PM you if I find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one can somewhat improve the accuracy of his rig, why not go for Norma and try it out? There are not too many rifles to choose from in that caliber, especially in a SA configuration.
PSL1078, I am not sure, I'll dig through a ton of ammo I got stored sometime next week and if I find some Norma 7.62x54R, I will send you a box free of charge just for testing purposes. I had this ammo but not sure if it's been all used up or not. I will PM you if I find it.</div></div>

Thanks

I own an SVD and a PSL. I am not sure if they have the same type of case head support but they warn you in the SVD manual not to use brass cases. I personally have seen 2 SVD's blow up when the shooters used brass cases. I've read the SVD doesn't support the case head very well which is why the com bloc countries all use steel cases in their SVD's. SOOO just in case I only shoot steel cases in my PSL as well. I am aware the PSL is not an SVD. Maybe someone can chime in on how well the case head is supported in the PSL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PoserHater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that people do reload brass cases for their PSLs. I do shoot brass commercial 308 and 7.62 NATO in my Saiga with no problems. The PSL should be the same as the Saiga. Afterall, it is just an AK.

Main reason I want to reload is that I am only aware of PRVI Partisan 7.62x54 150 grain SP rounds to use for hunting. Most SP rounds are 203 grain heavy ball, which damage the PSL (from what I understand). I dont mind using FMJ, but not on deer.

I am not an SVD expert, but will look into why the brass cases seperate in the gun.

If you find out anymore info, please let me know. Thanks!!! </div></div>

I agree the PSL is a glorified AK and should be able to handle brass cased ammo but after seeing 2 SVD's taken apart after firing brass cased ammo I didn't want to take a chance. A very well known collecter showed me a translation of the Russian SVD manual and there in bold print was the warning "not to be used with brass cased ammo". It was him that told me the case head was not fully supported in the SVD. After what I personally witnessed I have no doubt about what he told me.