• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing 7 wsm from 7 mag?

stonefly53

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2010
East Idaho
Hey guys.
Recently got a new barrel from sharp shooter chambered in 7 mm wsm. Now I have a brand new 7mm rem mag barrel going to waste. Would it be possible to re-chamber it to the 7mm wsm if the throat was cut longer?
thanks

Re: 7 wsm from 7 mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stonefly53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys.
Recently got a new barrel from sharp shooter chambered in 7 mm wsm. Now I have a brand new 7mm rem mag barrel going to waste. Would it be possible to re-chamber it to the 7mm wsm if the throat was cut longer?
thanks </div></div>

I'm not a gunsmith, although I'm sure there will be some around soon enough to better answer the question. From what I know, you're gonna have to do more than just cut the throat longer. The dimensions on the entire chamber are different, so you would have to set the barrel back a little and rechamber it. My guess would be that you wouldn't have to cut the throat much at all, since the 7mm mag is more slender and longer. You'd just be getting rid of the extra length on the chamber at the back, so you're cutting the 7 WSM chamber into where the 7mm mag chamber was, rethreading it, headspacing it, and good to go. Contour could come into play, but I don't think it'll be as much of an issue because I think you can pretty much leave the throat where it's at. Please keep in mind I'm not a gunsmith, so we need some others to verify this.

Were you using a long action to build your WSM on? The reason I ask is because it sounds almost like the rifle used to be chambered in 7mm mag. I realize this may have just been a different barrel from a different rifle. The reason I ask is because you have to modify the long actions some to get them to feed the WSM right, and the dimensions for the bottom of the actions are also different. Just curious.

Depending on the barrel profile it is as easy as cutting half or the thread off the back and rechambering the barrel then rethread counterbore and headspace it. the part that needs to be kept under attention is where the new shoulder will be. it has to be thick enough to handle the wider shoulder at the point it will be after the rechamber. if it was me i would cut the whole thread off as you realy have to set the barrel back until the total case neck on the new chamber is fresh. beaning that the neck shoulder junction on the WSM chamber must be into the barrel to the point where the old chambers neck finished. if you dont completly remove the neck you can get stepped necks i have seen this a lot in all sorts of chambers this will also make sure you have a fresh throat and chamber. then recrown the rifle and you will likley have a more accurate rifle than it was in 7mm Rem Mag.

We have found that with a factory barrel if you cut the neck length of the back of the barrel then rechamber and fit the barrel and then recrown the barrel they usualy shoot a lot tighter because you have used a match chamber reamer with removable pilots to get a much better aligned chamber with the bore and a fresh crown is the last part the rifle can effect the projectyiles travel so it is the most important part.

not that everything else is not but if the crown is cral the rest of the rifle wont work.

We are about to rechamber a 338 Win MAg Sako to 338 Edge for a guy that wants some more power and he has another 338 Edge so it makes sense we could do it in 338 Ultra mag and that would actualy be enough for the purposes this guy wants but the ability to use the same cases and dies in both rifles will be better for him but he will use lighter bullets int he Sako. This is just giving you an example of what and why rechambering can be done.

Tomcat
Thanks for the info. The action is from the rem mag and on the new barrel i had the throat cut an extra .25" and I seat the bullets out that far. That's why i went with the long action and i haven't had any feed problems yet.
Wild bill
Thanks for the advise, That's what i'll do!

I appreciate all the info. I'm just getting into the whole "custom" rifle thing and dang it's cool!
Has anyone had any experience with Sharp Shooter Supply doing this kind of barrell work? I was very happy with my target barrell i got from them and I'm thinking of having them do the rechambering.

+1

I get my custom from Kevin & Janet Rayhill 61 Stockade Road Chadron, NE 69337 on May 4th (7mm WSM on a 7mm Long action). Kevin will work with you on the phone. Turn-around time may be a little long, but they are GREAT to deal with. I would NOT use Sharp-shooter Supply (SSS). SSS customer service sucks, and I am less than impressed with their service.

OK, SSS just emailed me and said they could not do the conversion. He said he would run out of threads. Any one done this conversion and ran out of threads? I think they are just trying to get me to buy a new barrel because they just happen to have 1 in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">benchmark barrels also does excellent work.</div></div>

Which is probably why kevin prefers to use ron's barrels when he builds you a gun
smile.gif

call kevin tomorrow. if it can be done, he can do it. Or pm wnroscoe here on the hide, don't know if he does re-chambers, but he would do it perfectly if he does.

SSS is used to working on Savages they just thread the barrell and chamber it then screw a barrel to a headspace guage and tighten the lock ut. we fit a Savage just like any other barrel thread the barrel to a shoulder that locks on the action face to the correct headspace. he would have to rethread the barrel of course you run out of thread when you cut it off.

Just chat to the smith mentioned above and they will get you sourted by the sounds.