• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

700P or a 5R milspec?

Re: 700P or a 5R milspec?

They'll both work for you. If you can, hold each one and see how you like the stocks. How they fit and so on. The 700SS 5R might be a little over your price point. At least the ones I have seen have been in the $1100 range.

Also, stay safe over there.

I have owned 700Ps and shot a 5R just recently. The 700SS 5R I used had better fit and finish than any 700P I've seen. The action was much smoother, the stock was better fitted to the action and it just seemed like more attention was put into it when assembled. The stock on the 5R was a little different than the 700Ps, but still comfortable and had a good feel.

Both guns seemed accurate enough without formal testing that I can't comment on that. However I suspect the 5R would edge things out simply because it appears more care was put into the gun from Remington. This could be a fluke, but I suspect that the limited run of the 5R each year may ensure that more care is given to each rifle.

I think it is definitely worth the extra $100 to get the 5R over the 700P now that I've seen and used both.

Stainless steel barrel, good HS stock with aluminum bedding block, these two are the reasons I would go with 700ss 5R over 700p.

But before I knew it, I still upgraded the stock
wink.gif

I have a pair of 700P's, and one of them shot "ok" stock, the other shot what I consider to be poor (1.75-2" @100yd). They both had H&S PSS stocks on them, which are pretty good. I find the cheek comb is too low for even a 40mm scope, and have difficulty getting a good cheek weld without adding a riser or cheek pad.

I wound up having to rebarrel the poor shooter, and now it shoots about 0.6-0.7" @100yd which is about my limit as a shooter. Never tried it off sand bags or a vise, so it may do better than that.

FWIW I got the 700P's from a local dealer when they were on sale for $650, so it's been a while back. I wouldn't pay $1000 for a 700P, there are better guns IMO for that price.

So based on my personal experiences with the 700P, I'd say have a strong look at the 5R. Or possibly look at the Savage 10 series. If I were starting over that's probably the route I'd go.

You can't go wrong with either rifle. If I were you, I would definitely change out the trigger. You can buy a 700 Police .308 at Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dallas Texas for $799 plus $25 shipping.

The only thing about the 700P rifles, is the finish sucks. I have sent both of mine off to get a recoat. One has a parkerize finish and the other has a black matte cerakote.

The 5R barrel is suppose to be better than the Police 700 barrel.

I just got a 5R a couple weeks ago. PIcked it up for $925 on gunbroker. Since I sighted it in, I haven't shot a group over .5 in with handloads. Its hard to complain about that for under $1k. But the trigger does suck. Thats the next project for this gun.

Love my 5R. It was my first bolt gun and I could not believe how well I shot with it being a new to the game and all. I loved the concept so much, I quickly found a reason to call Kerry at GAP to get a build in. The 5R was great a keeping me happy till then and it was a LONG time till my new baby came home, but if I had to just keep the 5R, I would not complain, good gun for sure. I did, however, rattle the bitch. Did not care for the stainless.

ive never owned a 700p, but i just recently purchased a 5r. ive had serious problems with it. saturday was the first day i got to shoot and it was rainin off and on so i only shot 3 federal 168's and i put all 3 in about a dime sized spot, which i thought was amazing for only being the first 3 rounds ever fired. on tuesday i went to shoot the rrest of the box and had high pressure signs which is highly unusual. so i quit using them after 3 rounds and tried handloads and they werent shooting any good but i had no high pressure signs, so then i tried hornaday 178grain superperformance match and had high pressure signs, and it was shooting all over the place, its going back to remington. Im not telling you not to buy one as i probably got the lemon in the bunch. The fit and feel of it to me is quite nice. Id listen to these guys on here and go with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my new 700SS 5R. complete with SuperSniper 10x42HD.
cool.gif

spu5v5.jpg
</div></div>

Nice Package! I was watching it on Gunbroker. In fact, I just read the Email that the auction had ended,and I was wondering who won it. I'm glad it was a fellow Hide Member. Congradulations on you'r new rig!

Shop hard and get a 5R.
I had a Savage 10 with Mcmillan stock, it was a nice rifle but it tended to collect more copper in the barrel, and just wasn't as consistant as the Remy 5R. The post in this thread was the first time I have heard of someone having issues with their 5R, like all problems, I would like to hear what the end result will be.
I did get rid of the X-pro trigger for a Timney. and this thing is a tack driver.
SScott

Remington7005R308.jpg

Well, I was hoping to get the package for about $1625 and give SWFA some serious heartburn.
laugh.gif

One more bid and I would still be looking but all in all I'm happy with the deal, I think it was fair. I added up the parts and came up with about $2300 +/- then deducted because I don't get to have all that cleaning fun associated with breaking it in.
wink.gif

I have a 700P and to be honest, for what the 700P is capable of, it's good enough for me for now.

A 5R would be nice, and if you go the pocket change to go for it then do it... if not the 700P is still a fine rifle. You shouldn't be disappointed by either IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooterone20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive never owned a 700p, but i just recently purchased a 5r. ive had serious problems with it. saturday was the first day i got to shoot and it was rainin off and on so i only shot 3 federal 168's and i put all 3 in about a dime sized spot, which i thought was amazing for only being the first 3 rounds ever fired. on tuesday i went to shoot the rrest of the box and had high pressure signs which is highly unusual. so i quit using them after 3 rounds and tried handloads and they werent shooting any good but i had no high pressure signs, so then i tried hornaday 178grain superperformance match and had high pressure signs, and it was shooting all over the place, its going back to remington. Im not telling you not to buy one as i probably got the lemon in the bunch. The fit and feel of it to me is quite nice. Id listen to these guys on here and go with it. </div></div>

What are these signs that you're referring to? You think your chamber is out of spec??

+1 on how little fouling the 5R collects. I literally can't believe how clean my 5R barrel is after shooting it all day. The trigger is just ok, and the palm swell of the HS precision stock is a bit of a handful for medium size hands.

The 5R is a great rifle. I was impressed with a friend's 5R.

That being said, you should also consider the Savage 10 FCP-K. Similar accuracy with a better trigger ( provided you like the accu-trigger) and overall I liked it better.

If by "high pressure signs" you mean primer cratering, that's a pretty common problem with later Remington's larger-than-needed firing pin hole. I think the fix is to sleeve the hole, but Remington maintains it's no problem. The primers for my 5R brass look awful after firing, often with huge craters. Scared me when I first saw it. I've kept shooting it, knowing I may have to spend some money later on to fix the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What scope are you running SS? </div></div>
That is the Zeiss 6.5 x 20 mil dot
I have since changed to a Leupold VX3 8.5 x 25.
My best group to date is just under 1 1/4" at 300 yds.
I run CCI primers so I don't seem to have crater problems.
SScott

Remington700308300YD.jpg

i took it to the the gunsmith and had it checked out cause i didnt want to wait on remington. He checked the headspace, chamber and looked at the bolt. He said the headspace was perfect, the chamber was a tad on the tight side in the shoulder area, and the firing pin hole is a little large and isnt cut square at all which would be causing the cratering and ejector mark. So he polished the chamber a bit, did something to the bolt (i dont remember what it was) and told me not to worry about the firing pin hole. He took it out today shot 3 different kinds of factory ammo and 2 different handloads, and groups ranged from 3/8 in to 1/2 in. so now im happy.

I would vote for the 5R just for ease of maintenance. I had an XCR Tactical .308(the 26" version), and now have a 5R. Both shot great, they appeared to be limited only by my ability, as they grouped the same, about .75" @ 100yds. The difference in cleaning them when new is night and day however. The radiused lands really are much easier to get junk out of. The 1 in 12" twist of the 700p will stabilize 175 grain bullets but perhaps there would be an advantage to the slightly faster twist in the 5R if you wanted to go to heavier projectiles for any reason.

Another plus to me is that the 5R is bare stainless, so it's an open canvas for whatever coating or painting you could want to do, doesn't matter to some people.

If the 700P were $200 less than the 5R I would consider it over the 5R, but for the same price the 5R is a no-brainer. Sending you a PM.

I am in the process of buying a 700ss 5r "milspec" in .300 win mag for $950 NIB. I will probably put a Vortex Viper FFP 6-24 X 50mm on it when they become available some time in June or when I have the money. The most I will do on it for now is enlarge the screw holes for the scope base and perhaps have the bolt action blueprinted by someone who knows what they are doing. All told the whole deal will cost me about about $1850 + rings (rings and 20-30 moa base) + blueprint.

I have said this a few times tonight, but the 5R .308 is a wonderful rifle. I do not have experience with the 700p, but for the money $799 I would buy the 5R over and over. It is the best out of the box rifle I have ever bought.. ever. A friend of mine and I bought the same rifle at the same time and we both agree, it is a kick ass tack driver.

as I said in other forums, I am using a suppressor, 180gn hornady SST, and 45-47 gn varget, but it does not matter it seems. The rifle will take it all and shoot like a champ. I am easily shoot 1/2 groups at 100yds... it is sweet. Just my 2cents, but I wish someone had posted a response like this before I bought mine.

Cons.. I hate the stock.

btw, I bought my rifle at finfeatherfur outfitters in mansfield ohio

R5 SS: more life meaning more rounds to send down, but from what I have read and seen is that chrome lined and SS barrels will have slightly less accuracy over a standard barrel. again you'll gain more life out of it but you'll lose just a wee bit of accuracy. You'll pay more. IF you hand load then you will see the accuracy that you been looking for!

700p : less life cycle then a SS or chrome lined barrel BUT with propper maintenance you'll come close to the life of a SS barrel.
You'll achieve a bit more accuracy out of this barrel. The price is something we can all live with. Will shoot factory loads consistently and even better with hand loads!

In the end we are limited by our budgets!
Personally I have both! You can't go wrong with either!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turboranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You'll achieve a bit more accuracy out of this barrel. </div></div>
How so? The most accurate factory 700 I've ever seen was a 5R Mil-Spec. Won't say they are all like that, but I have sure never heard that a 700P was naturally more accurate.

+1 on the 5R. Mine's a shooter too. And I haven't even started reloading yet. I did change out the stock to an A5. Now it's perfect and I still have cash in the piggy bank. Someday I'll have a LA Precision, GAP, etc, etc, but not just yet.

Another guy who is happy with his 5R here. The only thing I didn't like was the X-Mark Pro trigger that came with my 5R (with the external adjustment at the top of the trigger). I was able to tune the X-Mark Pro trigger on my SPS Tactical, where the set-screws are all on the assembly body, to where I liked it, but the X-Mark Pro that came with my 5R is a different beast. I just replaced the trigger in my 5R with a Rifle Basix and am in the process of getting it dialed in.

Iv only shot the 700P but from all the reading and posts I'v read when looking to get my Remington the 5R is far better than the 700P.

I just bought my 5R in .308. I'm waiting on my Super Sniper 10x glass to get here so I can go send some rounds downrange. I was originally looking for a TRG22 but I decided to go with the 5R as my first long range gun. The accuracy that everyone has described is important to me and the fact that it is American made were my main influencers...price wasn't.

Yep, I changed out my trigger too. The Xmark Pro out of the box was really disappointing. I went with the Rifle Basix as well and couldn't be happier. I was really surprised how simple the install was. I recommend that as the first upgrade.

Oh, and I just tackled the bedding job on my A5.....well, at least the first part, have to see what it looks like when I pop it out of the stock tomorrow morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my new 700SS 5R. complete with SuperSniper 10x42HD.
cool.gif

spu5v5.jpg
</div></div>

Where did you get your gun? Been looking for one also.

For those making the consideration, I too am a fan of the 5R. My last rifle was a 5R. I ended up selling it because the economy tanked and I had to free up some cash to get rid of credit before all of the companies started killing people on the rates.

A few notes:
- I think there is a little more hype than reality in this gun. I liked the 5R barrel. Was it THAT much better than [insert firearm here]? No. Better but not a complete game changer. Some people get so wrapped up in having this part or that part or having a rifle whose barrel was floated by a virgin in tibet and forget that 99% of the shot is the shooter's fundamentals.

- Notwithstanding the above, I completely agree that the fit on the action for the 5R exceeds any other model factory 700 I have ever been exposed to.

- Realize that the 5R is stainless from factory. If you, like me, dont like everyone and thier brother knowing where your barrel is (including the game!), you will need to factor in the expense of refinishing.

- I made the mistake of first building this thing with high quality base, rings, etc, and then mating it with a Burris Fullfield 2. Light transmission was great but clarity suffered. I was not happy with the scope. Also known as "expect what you pay for" or "get the best glass you can buy".

What you are looking at:
2008 Remington 700SS 5-R
IOR 20 MOA Base, 700 Short Action
Leupold Mark 4 Rings, Medium Height
Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40
Harris Swivel Bipod

Rifle1.jpg

Rifle2.jpg

Rifle3.jpg

Valdada_Base.jpg