• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

7mm STW?

GermanXJ

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2010
United States
I have a remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem mag that is still stock. Very happy with it so far. Now I have the chance to pick up a custom 700 in 7mm STW. My question is... Is there enough difference in the STW, and rem mag to warrant the purchase. I have been reading ballistic charts, and it seems the rem mag out shoots the STW out past 400 yards. Is this true or am I reading this wrong? My ultimate goal is to be shooting reliably out to 1,000 yards.

Re: 7mm STW?

You must be reading it wrong. Either will get you to 1000 no problem. They both can be a little rough on the throat, but they are apples and oranges otherwise. The Rem mag is flat accurate and easy to load for. The STW is a little trickier to load but it is a beast, with the 180 bergers....

Well, I had both, but not at the same time. My very first rifle for deer hunting was a 7RM. I liked it but sold it to buy a 7STW thinking that the velocity performance would be significantly better in the STW. I was living in the midwest at the time and long dear shots are common.

Not the case for me. As it turned out, it was the ability to launch heavier projectiles, not velocity, that improved. I could launch heavier pills in the STW at nearly the same velocity as lighter pills in the RM. Between the RM and STW, when using the same weight projectiles, velocity increases were minimal at best, 80-100 FPS.

You really need a long tube and slow powders to get the STW to perform at its peak. You also need to be willing to handload because factory STW offerings are expensive and the selection is not that great.

The RM is less picky. Still an over-bored cartridge, a long tube is not as detrimental and there are a lot of factory loads.

My experience was that the extra performance of the STW did not justify the costs.

There is some great 7RM, 7STW, and 7RUM reading over at longrangehunting.com. All of which I found AFTER I had bought and sold both the 7RM and 7STW. Check out the forums over there too.

I have spent alot of time behind 2 differant 7 STW. The first was a Win Custom Sharp Shooter, from the 1st year they made them. It had a Schnieder barel then they switched to HS later. Sadly I dont know the twist of the barrel on this gun but it shot lights out with the 160 Barnes X. It was very much an under .5 MOA gun, and I still reload for it but don't own it anymore.
I then purchased a Win M70 LT is STW. This was a production gun and shot as such. I never really found a load this gun liked and so it shot in the 1.25 to 1.5 area. I was not all the pleased with that rifle.
Now when I owned these the RUM's had not come out. If it were me and I thought I need to push 180 VLD harder then a 7 rem, I would look at the Rum over the STW. Good Luck