7rsaum 1-9 twist 180gr SMK's??

Re: 7rsaum 1-9 twist 180gr SMK's??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gutshot53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seirra recommends a 1-8 twist for the 180 7mm bullets.

My question is have you guys tried the 180 in your 7rsaum's with a 1-9 twist barrel?

Are they shooting well at 1000 yards?

Thanks for any info! </div></div>

I have shot them very well to 1500+ in a 1:9 Benchmark out of a 280 AI.

I had heard a rumor that sierra was real conservative with their twist recommendation. It is good to hear you guys have had good luck with the 1 in 9!

I bet that 7stw is a beast with those 175's! Do you know what kind of velocity he is getting?

The length on the 180gr SMK is well shorter than the 180gr Bergers, which shot fine from 1:9, so I'm certain that the 180gr SMKs will stabilize without issues from 1:9.

What is the length of this bullet? It is fairly easy if you have Litz's book to calculate the stability of the bullet if you know the weight in grains, the length, the diameter, the rifle twist, the muzzle velocity, the temperature, and pressure...

You can figure out what range of temperatures and pressures(elevations) that would produce adequate stability.

Give me the info and I'll do it for you.