• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing A-max's for hunting?

BradfromND

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Fargo, ND
I thought I read somewhere that you can use A-Max's for hunting. Has anyone here tried them? How did they work on deer sized game? I'm going to be working up loads for my 7 wsm and would really like to have just one load for targets and hunting. I know Berger's would work fine, but availability seems to be a problem.

Thanks
Brad

Re: A-max's for hunting?

I shot three Mule Deer in Nebraska last November with 168gr Amax in my 308 at 150 yards to 250 yards. All dropped in their tracks.

why use AMAX when Hornady makes a nice 165 GR bonded round that will stay together during impact. I am not saying a AMAX won't kill but it is a match bullet meant for that purpose. It is the same old argument as the 168 GR Sierra BTHP. Yes it works but is it the best - no.

I think the reason for using the A-Max is clear.

Hornady does not make a 165gr .284 bullet. They do make a 162 SST with a G1 BC of .550. The G1 of a 162 A-max is .625, resulting in better wind drift and higher energy on target than the SST.

Everyone who has actual experience shooting animals with an A-Max seems to love them. This bullet is not anything like a SMK nor are the results I've seen.

I'm not saying hunt big bears with them, but on light skinned game I think they are great.

I believe that Hornady has now come out in recent literature as saying AMAX bullets are acceptable for thin skinned game. I'm sorry, but anyone who has ever shot anything with an AMAX could have figured that one out. I used some 75's in .22 cal out of a 16" AR and there are more than a handful of p dogs and coyotes that would agree with Hornady's new stand. I was shooting them <2500 fps, but REAL accurate. They worked just fine out to 300 yards or so. The 55 gr. VMAX had WAY more speed, therefore more hang time on the p dogs.

Thanks for the responses guys. If it grenades inside a deer, perfect. I just don't want it coming apart before it penetrates into the vitals. I know there are better "hunting" bullets, but I'm looking for a dual purpose load. I also like the fact the I can buy 300 A-max's for the same price as 200 Bergers.

this is kinda getting into the more or less dead catagory...it kills deer and any other animal simiular in size as dead as they can get...ive shot at least 30 deer with the amax and they are all still dead...lol

I think they work ok:
DSC01464.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

30cal. 168amax...via 30-06

I have some 168 and 178 waiting for action, 6 more months!!!! My best groups for my SPS Tact were for the 178 is 43.3 and for the 168 is 43.0 of Varget. I hope to take out a hog or two before then.

scan0004-1.jpg

One 208gr AMAX out of a Surgeon .308 at 500 meters put this 6X6 bull down instantly...broke both shoulders in the process and left a golf ball sized exit hole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0004-1.jpg

One 208gr AMAX out of a Surgeon .308 at 500 meters put this 6X6 bull down instantly...broke both shoulders in the process and left a golf ball sized exit hole. </div></div>

Nice bull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">amax is a thin walled jacket and grenades inside deer....vmax would be a better choice on game....pigs however deserve the amax </div></div>+1 Will never use the 155 on deer size game in MT again. At least anything I'm going to eat. Thats just the 155's. Trying the 168's this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The amax expands very quickly when it hits.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't get much more accurate BC wise than an AMAX.</div></div>

Exactly! I use 75 Amax (.223) on deer (out to only 100 yards so far) and it blows right through them at that range but makes a huge hole and breaks ribs on both sides...DRT.

They shoot nice groups out to 900 yards(so far). I'm hoping to get more range on deer this year. Maybe 200-300 and see how they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The amax expands very quickly when it hits.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't get much more accurate BC wise than an AMAX.</div></div>

Exactly! I use 75 Amax (.223) on deer (out to only 100 yards so far) and it blows right through them at that range but makes a huge hole and breaks ribs on both sides...DRT.
</div></div>

I'm at 140 yards with the 75's, same results.
They work great.
Going to test the 105's in a 6mmAR this year.

hope this helps.
Trilogymac

I use the 168gr A-Max in my .300 Win Mag for deer and antelope. They work great for head, neck and dead broadside heart/lung shots. The bullets do blow up and make huge exit holes on rib cage hits, that may be due to the velocity I push them to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just saw a hunting show that was talking about the 6.5 Grendel using the Hornady A-max and they said that you can use it for hunting and "There are a lot of antelope and deer that are gonna fall to this bullet".

Mike </div></div>

That's exactly the bullet I'd use in the Grendel for hunting. 123AMAX or possibly the next weight down, depending upon your barrel length.

I have killed a lot of deer with a 140 amax out of a 6.5 wsm at 3270 fps. But I wouldn't try that bullet at that velocity on anything larger than deer. It has been tried and will blow up on an elk's shoulder.
And yes, they do act like hand grenades inside of a deer. Everyone I shot was DRT.
These were shot from 35yds., to 435 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a 75 Amax used on a small deer, went in, hammered everything, and this was all i could find. the lead inside however went all the way out the other side.

DSC02438.jpg
</div></div>

Thats about how my A-Max looked. Only found the jacket...

Shot a 300 lb black bear with the 6.5 140 Amax. 335 yds. Dead.

Got another one tonight. It's very dead also. 465 yds. Have to get it out in the morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ollie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K41, how fast are you running them?

The 140's are great for antelope and deer so far out to 920yds. </div></div>

2700 FPS.

beareu.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad from ND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses guys. If it grenades inside a deer, perfect. I just don't want it coming apart before it penetrates into the vitals. I know there are better "hunting" bullets, but I'm looking for a dual purpose load. I also like the fact the I can buy 300 A-max's for the same price as 200 Bergers. </div></div>

Thanks for posting. I was in the same situtation. I wanted a bullet I could put where I wanted it and perform when it got there. I loaded 178gr. A-Maxes with the same exact recipe as my 175 SMK .308 load. They banged steel with the same scope adjustment. From 200 yards to 700 yards they either hit level with each other or were .1 MIL high or low. I couldn't have been more happy with the range results. Hopefully I'll get to hit a deer with one!

My 175 SMK load is 44.8gr H-Varget, which produces 2720 fps. I havn't chronoed the 178 A-Max but based on almost equal trajectory I suspect it is very close.