• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

A replica Wa2000 in .300WM

Wonko_The_Sane

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2010
Texas
Figured I would share a bit of a project I've been working on.

I've always liked the dumb look of a Wa2000, so, I decided to make one. I've seen a lot of attempts before in the past of Wa2000-esque type rifles, but they've always looked very off to me, and the airsoft versions out on the market, aren't quite the right scale when seen placed next to a real one. They seem to all always be too small, so I designed everything from scratch and set about making everything myself.

The rifle hasn't fired a test shot yet, but I'm hoping by the next two weeks I can get some single shot, straight pull style, test rounds through it. Then I'll move onto the short stroke gas system. I was supposed to have a shot out of it last week, but, after being a bit distracted while BS'ing with a buddy at the lathe when reaming the chamber, I sent the reamer in too deep, and scrapping the profiled barrel. With the way I had the barrel turned, there was zero extra material available to face off. Pricy mistake, but, is what it is. Not the first time I've had to remake a part on this project.

The rifle is still very much far from completed. Several details in the metal work that need to be sorted. The wood is just simply roughed out half ass to shape.

442414213_753111850227930_7467504067744071151_n.jpg

436837453_814737863851248_1998451668281467282_n.jpg

thumbnail.png

Last edited:
That is really cool.

The New Zealand Special Air Service trialed the Walther in the late 1980s for the counter terrorist team, but went with the H&K PSG-1.

I never saw the Walther (I was about as far from being special forces as you could get) but an armourer friend of mine really liked the Walther when he had something to do with the trials. He liked the PSG-1 too, but he became an armourer because he liked all guns.

I never saw the Walther (I was about as far from being special forces as you could get) but an armourer friend of mine really liked the Walther when he had something to do with the trials. He liked the PSG-1 too, but he became an armourer because he liked all guns.

The best gunsmiths I worked with in NZ were all former Army armorers. We don't really have gunsmithing-armorers in the US Army.

Great work!

Interesting side story... here in Canada if firearms get seized from criminals, they are sadly destroyed. They are never sold to the public. I've seen a lot of historical and/or rare firearms go to the smelter. The ONLY firearm that I heard that escaped this fate was a WA2000. It was seized fro ma drug dealer and after hearing how much it was valued at, they donated to the City's Gun Club to keep. No idea how the RCMP got around that one but I wish it would have happened more often.