A word of caution to all new who venture here….

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Minuteman
Supporter
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
A word of caution. Beware of the .22lr. We call it a “trainer rifle” Its an insidious plot to take over Precision Shooting. You will think you are happy with that sweet shooting centerfire. But, that cute little .22 that keeps calling to you with the siren song that it can be a nice quiet little practice rifle. A rifle to shoot when you just don’t want to shoot the big bores.

Beware, it will take over. You’ll have so much fun with the .22 that your centerfire PRS rifle will get lost in the back of the gun safe. You’ll never ever go back. Your life will be lost in the world of rimfire. It swallows you, destroys your relationships, its its, oh the horrors, I can’t describe it. Don’t let it happen, be careful, the addiction will catch you too.

Beware the 22’s are taking over

IMG_1321.jpeg
IMG_1441.jpeg
IMG_1443.jpeg

I have been so tempted, but have resisted thus far and remain happy with my Rossi 16” 62 Pump I’ve had for 44 years. I have three 5000 round boxes of surplus Remington ammo for it I bought from the CMP years ago for $95/5000. I haven’t even finished the first brick of 500 yet between the Rossi and my Ruger 45/22. I can only imagine what would happen if I bought a Rim-X……

Yup I know the feeling. Started with a B14R and sold it. Bought a RimX and then later added a Curtis rimfire, Vudoo, and a CZ457. Couldn’t help myself and wanted all the top ones in the collection. Now I can talk shit about each one and not be labeled a hater. 🤣
which is your favorite action? with my limited funds I could choose one so I went cz 457 threaded and fully customed out. on the hunt for the best chassis now.

Last edited:
I have been so tempted, but have resisted thus far and remain happy with my Rossi 16” 62 Pump I’ve had for 44 years. I have three 5000 round boxes of surplus Remington ammo for it I bought from the CMP years ago for $95/5000. I haven’t even finished the first brick of 500 yet between the Rossi and my Ruger 45/22. I can only imagine what would happen if I bought a Rim-X……
I had 10,000 rounds of that surplus Remington. I wouldn't extract in my M-12, 52D or Rem 512. Too many FTF also in all 3 but mostly the 52D. Sold it off for $10 a brick.

I love the little pump! That's like the one that was the first 22 I ever shot. I still have a little 9422, 2 kidd supergrades, a little kmber, 52c, 1712, 2X54:18,1727F ect. As was said welcome to the addiction.
Thank you! It's a Winchester 62A, turned 70 last year. Fun little plinker for sure. I think @MadDuner has one above as well.

Since I started this, I guess I need to go to The Start

IMG_1511.jpeg

My very first rifle, and Ithaca Model 49. Martini action. It was given to me by my mother as sort of a consolation gift after just having lost my dad. He was always a shotgun man, I always wanted to head to the rifle range.

The little rifle is 60 years old this year. So, I got to thinking about it today and grabbed it out of the back of the safe, ran a couple patches down her bore (she was clean) gave the metal and wood some cleaning and oiling.

This evening, after finishing practice with the Vudoo, i grabbed the little Ithaca dropped a round through it. No idea what the sights are set at, missed my 4 inch circle at 75 yards, missed the silhouette, at 100, went back to the circle, got a much steadier hold and nailed that sucker. Still shoots after all these years. (Four inch circle next to KYL rack)

IMG_1515.jpeg

Ok, I will follow, my dad always has a couple shotguns and a customized 1903, but I was never ever allowed to touch them. He even once took me to a range to watch he and a buddy shoot ( buddy had a cool AR(back in 66))but still no touchy. So we ended up moving around a bit and once rented a house that had a few guns on the wall. One of them was the little gallery pump rifle. Was not sure it would shoot, but really wanted to try. A buddy had access to some 22 longs and I bartered 10 of them. Once when the parents were away my brother and I grabbed the little gun and went into the back area and loaded it and with great ( well maybe not great) care shot it into a pile of dirt. This was my first rimfire shot. We be moved to south Florida about the time I turned 18 and I drove down to the local Kmart and bought a new marlin 39a. Shot dragon flies in the Everglades, it was a blast and hooked me!

A few lesser known oddities that I have acquired over the last couple of years...

Mossberg 43S & No. 43SS
Ranger 101.22 (aka Springfield 87M)
Savage 6S factory peep sight model
Lakefield 90B biathlon trainer

Attachments

• 1000006538.jpg
    1000006538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 1000006141.jpg
    1000006141.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 938.jpg
    938.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 26
Came across a Savage/Annie model 10b with a silver leupold bench rest scope in cabelas. Almost took it home.
I have a good friend who owns one. His health is way past the downside, so he doesn’t shoot anymore. Love to have it, but would prefer it be handed down to his oldest son.

Reactions: Big Phish
I should go dig up some photos of a switch barrel 22 prototype (22WMR/17HMR) I have. It was based off a Marlin 25MN in an aftermarket stock. Neat project, but proved to costly to go into production (considering the candidate rifle's cost). It's one of the more interesting rifles I have. Another being a .17Aguila test rifle (still have a fair amount of that ammo as well). Then there's the 5mm 591 and the prototype/test Aguila ammunition (white box, hand written labels).

Rimfires are indeed a rabbit hole that's easy to fall down. :D

I should go dig up some photos of a switch barrel 22 prototype (22WMR/17HMR) I have. It was based off a Marlin 25MN in an aftermarket stock. Neat project, but proved to costly to go into production (considering the candidate rifle's cost). It's one of the more interesting rifles I have. Another being a .17Aguila test rifle (still have a fair amount of that ammo as well). Then there's the 5mm 591 and the prototype/test Aguila ammunition (white box, hand written labels).

Rimfires are indeed a rabbit hole that's easy to fall down. :D
I've been so tempted to find a 5mm 591 just to have one... :unsure: How does yours shoot?

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
You really don't want to know how I got my Vudoo. But if you insist and I'm sure you must, I'll give the highlights. Stroke in the eye. Seeing all kinds of beautiful purples and yellow splotches but vision between the splotches is great.

go to retina doctor. (Quick referral I might add though maybe not so quick considering to the diagnosis). Yep, my left eye is royally screwed, hence the name change to DEAD Eye Dick. Really pissed, really missed all Christmas plans, really fucked up. (but its been a royally fucked up year anyway.). I got two options. One is a shot in my eye every month to relieve the pressure with a solid promise that this is as good as its ever going to get. The shots MAY keep it from getting worse. Or this experimental treatment, of which I might be a candidate with very good results so far. Plus, rather than me pay the retina doctor for the rest of my life, THEY PAY ME :D. They pay WELL!

Now, like many of us here in the hide, submitting to experimental treatment isn't the hot plan, but considering the alternatives, what really did I have to loose. Oh, did I mention they pay really good money.

Don't know if the treatment has done the trick. My eye pretty much had cleared up in the early part of the treatment, which by the way was a real test of enduring the pain cave, which being a cycling time trialist, being in the pain cave is what I do. Except the day it snowed, the regular doctor who does the iv's was ill and no one else knew how to find. vein. That is when I really felt I was in the experimental mode as they all teach themselves how to stick a needle into someone and actually find a vein. Heck, I had been doing that for years, in the horse business. Damned horses were always getting sick, had to treat them myself. So, its not that hard. But days and weeks later, my blood still stained the floor of the treatment room.

Anyway, long story short, the cash I received paid for the Vudoo and the money I was saving for a B14r and scope went to pay for a mid tier scope.

I do not recommend this method. But it worked for me.
Sooo your saying there is a chance. Just kidding man really hope it works and you feel better.