AAC prodigy 22lr yawing issue

Thomas Geistman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2024
Texas
I’ve owned a AAC prodigy 22LR can since 2012. I had it on a AR mp 22LR rifle just for range fun and plinking, nothing serious.

Here lately I’ve mounted it on a FN 502 and trying to sight in the red dot I noticed horrible accuracy. After further investigation about 2 of every 10 rounds destabilize and yaw terribly. I’ve tried 6 different boxes of ammo. I swapped the suppressor to a Ruger ultralight and same issue. I checked and there are no baffle strikes. Swapped a different suppressor on the pistols and they shoot fine.

I contacted AAC but they are no help other than offering a 35% discount to upgrade to the new can. I would like to see if there is anything I do to correct the issue on this can so it isn’t just a paperweight.

My first thought was the first baffle is too close to the muzzle. I’m considering removing or greatly enlarging the hole of the first baffle. Any thoughts of if this would help?
Any other ideas or fixes?
Has anyone else seen this issue?

Get a 22 cal clearance checking rod and see what is happening. Does this can index off the shoulder? Do you still have problems if you put it back on the original host ar rifle? Has it been cross threaded? Is there an o-ring that is supposed to be installed internally in the thread-on area that this can that is missing or damaged? Get a rod and let us know. Really sounds like an alignment issue.

DO NOT MODIFY your suppressor unless you are a SOT. This sounds stupid as hell but the atf makes a mountain out of a molehill on silly crap like this. Baffle strikes are typically going to happen on the front portion of the can compared to the back as alignment gets worse farther from the muzzle.

Where is the best place to pick up an alignment rod?

I haven’t checked it on the AR rifle. I did put it on my Ruger precision, but the groups opened up so I didn’t really pay much attention and just took it back off. No cross threading has occurred. There is an o-ring on the pistol against the shoulder. I’ve inspected for strikes but I can’t see any. Nevertheless I’ll check it with a rod when I get one, won’t hurt to have to check everything else as well.

If I shouldn’t modify it, do you know any SOT shops that would attempt a repair at this??