• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy International Chassis System

pedroscash

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
Australia
I am contemplating the purchase of an AI chassis system to suit
a Remington short actioned tactical rifle which I currently have.

They claim to be "drop in" has anyone had experience in installing these and were there any issues regards feeding from the supplied mag?

Your opinions appreciated.

Re: Accuracy International Chassis System

It's as simple as dropping the action barrel into the stock and then tighten the two screws. You are GTG then.

Works like a detatchable mag (sorry to be blunt!). It'll mate straight up to the action when you drop the action into the stock, tighten it up and thats it. Rock solid and reliable. I have two for 300WM and 223, never had any feeding issues and there's plenty of length in the mags for long COAL's to seat into the lands if you so wish.

The only thing is the magazines for the AICS cost like 80 dollars each. So what im saying is make sure you dont loose that magazine or your gonna hate life when you gotta pay out 80 dollars for another magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing is the magazines for the AICS cost like 80 dollars each. So what im saying is make sure you dont loose that magazine or your gonna hate life when you gotta pay out 80 dollars for another magazine.</div></div>

5rd AICS mags are $64.40, 10rd are $77.28.

They may be a bit pricey, but the quality is 100%. Who would want to put cheap junky magazines in a several-thousand-dollar precision rifle?

As others have mentioned, absolute drop-in for a factory Remington. Mags works great.

You may have to change your rings out to a higher set, I did.

The guy posting the question is in Aus, where the mags run at least double US prices, IF you can get one. There's probably only 1 shop in the whole country that sells them. I waited months for mine to arrive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if a 6.5x55 will work in the AI 300 Win mag magazine for long action R700? </div></div>

I think you would have to modify the lips of the mag to hold the rounds in place. It will hold it on the rear end but I think it will taper too much towards the shoulder. You might also need to modify the rear of the mag to stop the rounds slipping out backwards.

i had problems installing my rem 700 sps tact, the safety latch mechanism on the trigger. It was fine on safe but when moving to fire it pushed away from the stock ( so it would install 100% fine in safe but once installed would not move to fire).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalWill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had problems installing my rem 700 sps tact, the safety latch mechanism on the trigger. It was fine on safe but when moving to fire it pushed away from the stock ( so it would install 100% fine in safe but once installed would not move to fire). </div></div>

There is a little pin off to the side of the safety latch. When you engage the safety, it protrudes out into the stock and gets caught there. You can see it when you take the action off the stock. Just take a few passes with the Dremel and it will work just fine. Had the same problem with my 300 WM. Did that and it worked just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalWill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had problems installing my rem 700 sps tact, the safety latch mechanism on the trigger. It was fine on safe but when moving to fire it pushed away from the stock ( so it would install 100% fine in safe but once installed would not move to fire). </div></div>

Faced a similar problem when I installed a Jewell on my AICS. Ended up asking a friend with milling machine to open up the stock a little bit. All good now.

yep i got the dremel out too and just kept working it till it fit.
i still havent fired it yet
frown.gif

getting my scope this week bushell elite 4200, not sure what base n rings to get

What is the largest recoil lug that will fit into the 2.0

I have a GAP 300wm with a badger lug (all it says on the paper work it is a large badger lug that was installed in 2001)

If it will not fit is this something anyone can open up or do I need a gunsmith to fit

THANKS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I been wanting to get a AICS. What do they run and where is the best place to get one? And do they make for anything other than remmy or AI </div></div>

They started to make them for a Savage now.

Mile High Shooting Accessories has good prices. They are on the Hide under that name. call him for the latest price.

just got my Lawton built 6mm yesterday, installed the jewell trigger into my AI stock...the safety will not move. looked into the stock and it appears that the trigger is rubbing up against the metal frame. is this the area that i need to hit with a dremel tool to remove some of the frame? new to amateur gunsmithing and want to make sure that i do not screw something up. it is a left handed jewell trigger, not sure if that makes a difference.

mason, drop your action in and scribe exactly where you need to releive the metal on the chassis (obvioulsy remove the skins. Then slowly run a dremel inside until you have no clearance issues. You have plenty of metal to work with so don't worry about going too far.

Also, you will need to go a little further than you think as when you torque the action in it may bid again. Just take your time (even still you are looking at maybe 15 minutes).

I have the Jewell HVR (RH though) so it should end up as a mirror to what several of us have done.

~ Rico

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 328 RII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. Being that I don't shoot a Remy much, will this action fit in the AICS 1.5 chassis? </div></div>

NO. Action is too short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am contemplating the purchase of an AI chassis system to suit

They claim to be "drop in" has anyone had experience in installing these and were there any issues regards feeding from the supplied mag?

Your opinions appreciated. </div></div>

Yesterday, we put my 5R in my buddys AICS 2.0. Shot my favorite load and 168 TAP better than my BEDDED HS precision stock that it came with. Bedding was done by APA. And in the AICS the barrel didn't go ape shit like a spring door stopper act that it does in the HS. On top of that I could not properly torque the screws on the AICS becuase we overlooked the fact that we didn't bring the right tool...AICS needs a longer metric allen head than we had for the torque wrench.

All in all the AICS improved the group sizes by .15"-.2", give or take, at 104 yards. Any it made the 5R a real smooth shooter. Now I want to make the HS presision stock a reactive target and get an AICS for this gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am contemplating the purchase of an AI chassis system to suit

Your opinions appreciated. </div></div>

Yesterday, we put my 5R in my buddys AICS 2.0. Shot my favorite load and 168 TAP better than my BEDDED HS precision stock that it came with. Bedding was done by APA. And in the AICS the barrel didn't go ape shit like a spring door stopper act that it does in the HS. On top of that I could not properly torque the screws on the AICS becuase we overlooked the fact that we didn't bring the right tool...AICS needs a longer metric allen head than we had for the torque wrench.

All in all the AICS improved the group sizes by .15"-.2", give or take, at 104 yards. Any it made the 5R a real smooth shooter. Now I want to make the HS presision stock a reactive target and get an AICS for this gun.</div></div>

Solution: put the HS up on the Exchange, and give us a call for an AICS
wink.gif

Jonathan after I shot your AI at the round up about 4 weeks ago, I have been in touch with Ed about an AICS 2.0. I'm just waiting to work a little off the price. The AICS is really nice. Also thanks for passing my info on to him as you promised. +1 for you and SRT Supply.

I have two M700s - a .308 LTR and a .338 MLR - and I have an AICS 2.0 for each (one OD green, one coyote brown).

I love those stocks and will never part with them. Simply put, they're solid, they're trouble free, they're adjustable for shooter comfort and my guns shoot very well from them.

They're not cheap but they absolutely deliver.

I wish all the products I purchase for this hobby would work out as well...

I just had my Rem 700 AICS checked by Mark Gordon @ www.shortactioncustoms.com and it turns out that the rear mounting point needed to be glass bedded because is was off 130 thousandths of an inch. Perhaps I got a bad stock from AI but it doesn't hurt to check. Before I had it checked it would shoot just over 1 MOA now it shoots .25 MOA with Mark's test ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camp carnage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guy posting the question is in Aus, where the mags run at least double US prices, IF you can get one. There's probably only 1 shop in the whole country that sells them. I waited months for mine to arrive. </div></div>

Not wrong there, a few years ago when I bought my 2 10rnd mags they costed me $250 each :eek:, but other than the cost I have no complaints with the stock.

The AICS stock is still someting im very seriously considering. I myself have a hs stock that uses the CDI dbm system along with a 10 round AICS mag. From what ive heard the AICS are kick butt so what ill probably do is buy a AICS in the very near future. The AICS just seems to be the best you can get for a remington 700, but the only thing is the feel of the stock..its a love or hate relationship. Im still trying to swallow the 2.0 price tag but you get what you pay for.

Well I love my AICS stock as well especially now! It is heavy which brings advantages and disadvantages. As for the feel of the stock I love it to death. I have the 1.5 model which makes it a little bit of a slight pain to clean because you have to remove the cheek-weld piece. With the 2.0 you just have to fold the stock and you are ready to go (saves a few seconds). But those are issues I'm happy to deal with because I love the stock so much. As for mags the there are two options: the actual AI mags and a badger ordnance Mag that I heard was cheaper. I bought myself and my friend a 10 rd mag for $70 each which isn't great but its not terrible. Don't let the mags be an issue for you. If you like the feel of a shot with little recoil just get it. If it turns out that it needs a slight glass bedding then so be it and get it done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalWill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know a good sling to suit? im looking for one </div></div>

Depends on what type of sling you're looking for. There's been at least a few discussions about this on here before. Here's a previous thread on the same topic:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1877217

TAB and TIS both make great shooter's slings, they're both popular to use, and you can get them with HK style hooks to attach onto the AICS. Personally, I prefer TIS because you can change out the hooks to flush cup swivels, or anything else you want, plus they offer different varieties (slip cuff, quick cuff, combo) to suit different preferences.

I used my buddy 700P with AICS 2.0....absolutely AMAZING!!! The recoil felt is like nothing, its nice and heavy so your very stable while shooting. I did 6 groups of 3 last weekend. Best was 0.31 MOA and worst was 0.64 at 100 yds.

Install as people said is drop in and go!

I had to create a little clearance for the Jewell safety, about 5 minutes with a couple of files.
Next time I'm over at my buddy's machine shop we'll touch it up nice and professional looking with the mill, but it's hardly required.

The biggest problem was installing the Badger IMUNS rail, taking the original bipod mount out is tough, unless you follow the tip to shoot a drop of oil in there to let the rubber bumper release the sling mount. Thanks to someone (from Accuracy International?) for this excellent tip I read here a week ago or so.

AI6.jpg

AI5.jpg

My only other problem was that Badger left the Lock Plate and screws out of my IMUNS kit, but it's on the way.

And speaking of slings, here is the Biathlon Elite from TAB, many thanks to Lisa at Rifles Only, her customer service "Sets The Standard".

AI3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to create a little clearance for the Jewell safety, about 5 minutes with a couple of files.
Next time I'm over at my buddy's machine shop we'll touch it up nice and professional looking with the mill, but it's hardly required.

The biggest problem was installing the Badger IMUNS rail, taking the original bipod mount out is tough, unless you follow the tip to shoot a drop of oil in there to let the rubber bumper release the sling mount. Thanks to someone (from Accuracy International?) for this excellent tip I read here a week ago or so.

AI6.jpg

AI5.jpg

My only other problem was that Badger left the Lock Plate and screws out of my IMUNS kit, but it's on the way.

And speaking of slings, here is the Biathlon Elite from TAB, many thanks to Lisa at Rifles Only, her customer service "Sets The Standard".

AI3.jpg
</div></div>

It appears there is an opening in the front of the badger unit. Would this work with the AI spigot on my atlas bipod? This is a very interesting product that I had not seen before. Hog hunting is a hobby of mine here in TX and this looks like just the ticket. But not gonna give up my atlas bipod for it.

Patrick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It appears there is an opening in the front of the badger unit. Would this work with the AI spigot on my atlas bipod? This is a very interesting product that I had not seen before. Hog hunting is a hobby of mine here in TX and this looks like just the ticket. But not gonna give up my atlas bipod for it.
</div></div>

Patrick, you can absolutely use the AI spigot, it's designed to have the bipod latch, spring, and 3mm bipod latch roll pin transferred over to the IMUNS.
If you go to the Badger website, you can see the installation instructions. Part # 310-10

Im definetly going to buy one of these stocks should i get the 1.5 or 2.0? All tacticool bs aside what is the folding stock doing for me? Also will my bolt knob fit in there just fine i have the badger ordnace knob installed on it, thanks! toss me a PM dont mean to hijack the thread

No clue about 2.5. But 2.0 with folding stock and rising cheek-pad seems better.

What folding stock does for you is: (a) the ability to access/clean the bore (for which you need to remove the bolt completely) without removing any cheek-rest or lowering the cheek-pad, and (b) the ability to fit in a smaller case and/or carry a shorter rifle (though you have to "unfold" before the action anyway
smile.gif
).