• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy Node and Barrel Temp

BoltGun6

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Merry Christmas everyone. Had a question come up from shooting yesterday. I understand finding a good node to load at, but I've never seen barrel temp specified as an effect. Are all nodes referred to at relatively the same temp? I noticed my MTU 26" 6.5 cm stayes at a certain range, then heats up as I run it faster. Temp spikes and velocity goes up. I can chase a node all day until the barrel heats up and the speed is pushed out of it. Anyone else seeing this?

All barrels do this to a certain degree, with pencil thin hunting barrels being affected the most, your MTU or like size affected the least.
You could answer your own question by shooting at a target over a chrono and see at what points in your firing sequence differences are noticed. It's your barrel and something you should be cognizant of.
All barrels and loads react somewhat differently.

A so-called node is only as good as the day you shot it. Find the range between min and max load with the less deviation in .1 grain increments using the standard COAL. If that happens to be in a MV that is lower than you like than try a different powder. In other words, look for the widest powder charge range with the least MV deviation. This will leave plenty of a forgiving error margin when loading for the life of the barrel. Once you find that middle ground run for best seating depth and on occasion chase the lands.

I've been tracking my velocity for the last 7-8 months to see how the temperature effects my powder (H4350). I started at one charge, then backed off 0.3 because it wasn't that much faster than the reduced charge. However, the temp and atmospherics started changing with the season and velocity changed a bit further, so I'm just tracking it all. I stopped trying to chase the exact node after all the loads I tested grouped very well and the velocity swung so much between slow and fast strings of fire. I ended up knowing where the rifle shoots clean & cold, cold, warm, and hot.