• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ackley Improved Rifles

Re: Ackley Improved Rifles

img48673652aeebb.jpg

6,5x55 AI

img48da9453b19b0.jpg

22-250 AI

Håkan

I just finished a 243AI, will try and post pics, specs are as follows:

25in Mike Rock #7 Sporter lighthly fluted
Blue printed Rem700 recevier, with AZ Prec custom bolt knob
Manner MCST Stock painted in Desert GAP
Barrel and Receiver coated in Desert Tan
NF 2.5x10x32 HV Ret

Trigger breaks at exactly 2 Pnds

This is my newest Ackley (well sorta) When I got home from Iraq my wife and FIL gave me a stock and barrel so I had a 280AI built in a lightweight rifle form. I have taken it out to a grand and its a nice stick but I have been thinking something a bit more built for the purpose.

McM A-5 Green
Krieger 12 flute 7mm barrel 31" blank
Badger M5
Stiller Tac-300 action which is at the smith's waiting on these parts to arrive. Hope its finished when I go home so I can slap some steel with it.
IMG_52262.JPG

Ed Brown Trigger (really have a jewell but my wife thought this trigger was for the project)

My hunting stick is a #3 Shilen, Rem 700 action and Boyds stock. It shoots very well (no pics)

Got a project in the works right now with my current Remington 700 22-250 going to throw a 28" or 30" Krieger AI with a Black McMillan A5. I have a buddy with 1800 yards of power lines on his hunting grounds.
Just something about throwing a 75 or 80gr .22 cal Amax pill at 3400 FPS is appealing to me. Especially watching the vapor trail in this Georgia humidity.

I guess I could just rechamber my factory barrel to AI and start fire forming brass. If anyone has 22-250 AI brass for sale let me know.

Also what would be a good twist rate for the 75 and 80 grainers 6.5 or 7?

By the way great rifles everyone!

Will get pics up later tonight...

GAP Built - 30-06AI

Trued R700 action
1:10 twist Rock Creek, 24", sendero contour
Callahan 0.30 recoil lug
Holland Quick Discharge Brake
B&C Adjustable A5

NF 20 MOA rail
Burris XTR Rings
USO SN3 3.2-17x44

Came up with this so I could get Lapua brass and push 208gr AMAX's to around 2,750 without too much trouble

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Came up with this so I could get Lapua brass and push 208gr AMAX's to around 2,750 without too much trouble </div></div>

What powder are you using? Retumbo?

Should be putting my .280AI together next week... Specs are as follows:

HS PSS stock
Rem 700 action
Rock Creek 1:8.7 twist M24/heavy flutes finished at 24"
Tuned Remington 700 trigger
Seekins 20 MOA Rail/30 mm rings
Not sure about botom metal right now.
Got a Viper PST on order but am borrowing a buddies Razor HD to break 'er in until my PST arrives.

Sure am stoked to start shooting!

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Came up with this so I could get Lapua brass and push 208gr AMAX's to around 2,750 without too much trouble </div></div>

What powder are you using? Retumbo? </div></div>

Nope, typically I use RL-22.

22-250 AI.

Can't wait for the rash of shit I'll get on the paint job.

PREEMPTIVE STRIKE: This rifle fits right in with all the Hawkeye fans.

DSC02210.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chickeneye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brand, i like it alot. i have a secret soft spot in my heart for BR..

what do you use it for, short range bench rest? </div></div>

600m

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wife snet me a pic of the Stiller,

Should be a nice alternative to a 7RM when finished.

IMG_52301.JPG

IMG_52262.JPG
</div></div>

That 1911 trigger might not work too well in that Stiller
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wife snet me a pic of the Stiller,

Should be a nice alternative to a 7RM when finished.

</div></div>

That 1911 trigger might not work too well in that Stiller
wink.gif
</div></div>

SHHH its the new top secret Ed Brown 700 trigger. She thought it was the trigger for the project. I had her send me a pic of what she was going to drop off to make sure its the right stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Improved anyways!

6mmAR Turbo 40 degree. 105's at 2900 fps from a 26" Krieger.
DSC00165.jpg

My AR it's chmabered in.
DSC00145.jpg

Some other rifle I have are in wildcat cartridges with 35 degree shoulders. </div></div>

Wicked setup you got there! I thought some people stay away from the AI cartridges is semi-autos because of the steep angle and feeding abilities???

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will get pics up later tonight...

GAP Built - 30-06AI

Trued R700 action
1:10 twist Rock Creek, 24", sendero contour
Callahan 0.30 recoil lug
Holland Quick Discharge Brake
B&C Adjustable A5

NF 20 MOA rail
Burris XTR Rings
USO SN3 3.2-17x44

Came up with this so I could get Lapua brass and push 208gr AMAX's to around 2,750 without too much trouble </div></div>Stop teasing..Post the pics for the rest of the 06AI shooters, Sir..

Not an Ackley, this one is a 6.5 Gibbs or 6.5-06 maximally improved.

This is a hunting rifle I built about 17 years ago, 700 action, Mc Millan, 31" Hart, Jewell, It sends 142 SMK's at 3180fps. I am now thinking about bobbing the barrel and setting it into a AICS.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Fire forming the 06 case into the Gibbs</span>
6.5Gibbsforming.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Rifle </span>

KrylonGibbs.jpg

Here are a couple pics of my 280 Ackley Improved. I had this built in 1994 by a local smith when I was living in S. GA.

It shoots about MOA. Not as accurate as I had hoped it would be, but plenty good enough for deer hunting.

I used to deer hunt a lot back then but have not used it in at least ten years other than just playing at the range every now and then.

Rem 700 stainless action
Pacnor #4 barrel
KDF brake
McMillan stock with black grit paint
Birdsong Black T finish

Sorry the pics are not any better.

280impe.jpg

280impengravinge.jpg

The 280AI seems to have a nice little following, Had an issue with the A5 stock I picked up for mine, good thing I had an Agj HTG laying around looking for a place to go though. Will post pics of the new AI when it gets back...

Here's my Salvage in .223AI Been shooting this one for a few years now, finally finished it to where I can say it's done and just ready to shoot for a while. I love the .223AI I will re-barrel this one with another .223AI

Uploaded with ImageShack.us