• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Across Water shots

Re: Across Water shots

a 2012 preview.

with the solstice you may be able to balance your bullet on it's tip - just like the egg trick, with the eclipe, it will not cast a shadow.

i don't know how it will affect the flight other than if you are shooting over stonehedge it may bommerang it back towards you.

But how does a silencer play into the shot?
mark%20wahlberg%20shooter%20bottle%20silencer.jpg

Camp Smith has been cleaned a couple of times that I know of. Once with a 300 mag(Adelson),and Stan Noon has cleaned it with a service rifle, and that was several years ago. I'm sure (Red)Modica has cleaned it a few times since then.
I think they are limited to the 500 yard line now. When I used to shoot there the water was a good reference for wind indicator by watching the small ripples. but that reference is a the target end, and the 600yd is on top of the hill. its not unusual to see the flags at 2 and 3 point to each other and at 6 you are way above the flags for 2&3. plus the way the range sits the wind swirls. it is a tough range to shoot if there a conditions.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a 2012 preview.

with the solstice you may be able to balance your bullet on it's tip - just like the egg trick, with the eclipe, it will not cast a shadow.

i don't know how it will affect the flight other than if you are shooting over stonehedge it may bommerang it back towards you.

</div></div>

This would be good untill shot and the core melts and throws everythign out of whack.

not sure but i think the friction created the static charge of dissimilar metals flying over water will create a vortices of the power of castle grayskull and lightning bolts will abruptly ensue striking down your boolits and turning them into a real pain in the coriolis for any local fish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You fools have drastically miscalculated your equations! You've been using saltwater dope on freshwater data. </div></div>
No shooting west coast dope on the east coast shots. That would explain the far left drift..

This thread is another shiny example of the vast shooting knowledge that one can find on this site. I have never considered the effects of shooting over water or the other various geographical factors. It got me thinking.... I am planning a late night shooting session tomarrow. I was hoping on taking a 2500 yard shot over 123 yards of concrete, 347 yards of water, 281 yards of salt water marsh, 31 yards of dirt, 451 yards of gravel, another 589 yards of water and the remaining 678 yards of grassy golf course to the tartget. My questions are the following: How much will the upcoming lunar eclipse effect the trajectory of the bullet? and When firing over the concrete (actually a parking lot) how much will the paint used to designate the spaces effect the trajectory? What is the correct temperature and duration to bake a lasagna? I will be using a my trusty .357 Mag with 22" SS barrel mounted with a 20MOA base and countersniper scope fired free hand ofcourse. Your input is greatly appreciated.

1. Gunny is WAY too close to the water!
2. that is definitely a wet suppressor being used dry.
3. The lunar eclipse lack of light will require holding low.
4. The offsetting gravity of the sun behind the shooter will slow velocity exacerbating drop.
5. Holding the shot to no more than 2 skips will add back the lost trajectory.
6. Salt water is much denser than fresh enhancing skip but slowing round more.
7. Fresh water is less dense allowing retention of velocity but with lower skip angles.

Net effect - 00.0000001% or officially, close enough! Of course paper patching would raise pressures causing a + 00.0000001% offsetting the -0 to +0 effect.
Same dope different shot.

Methinks Brian is done Christmas shopping and is REALLY bored and too much time on his hands!

But......The OP didn't specify FRESH or SALT water bodies. I would think the Sodium Chloride content of the salt water would come into play here, as it attracts moisture build up which can lead to rust. If sodium is di-valent positively and chloride monovalent negatively, would some sort of Rust inhibiting MOLY coating work to counter act the effects of the NaCL?? If so, to what degree? Inquiring minds wanna know. We all know rusty bullets can go awry and often do and accuracy is destroyed. Just sayin......

this is some funny shit on this thread, boys. Thanks for the laughs! OFS!

Can let this one slide...
IF yore ole lady catches ya w/ the panty hose, you can tell her they're yours and are used only for precision rifle testing....THAT'S fuckin gonna fly, I tell ya! Specially if there's a smell to "em!

BTW.....if a chicken and half, lays and egg & a half in a day and a half, how long will it take a one legged grasshopper to cross the field of fire to the 1000 yds butts to see if he hit the target IF there is only a LITTLE water involved?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdaddy0381</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you’re shooting across water from a stationary platform to a stationary target would you use the same dope and take the shot as if you were shooting across land?

Example, a 900 yard shot! First 100 across land, 750 across water and 50 land to target. No wind. Would the drop stay the same? Or would you need to calculate for more humidity?
</div></div>
The legit answer is no, dope is the same.

But to be all tactical you need to put the pointy end of the bullet in the case and the boat-tail out side when reloading specifically for over water shots ex. boat-tail towards the muzzle.
(everyone know you face towards the back of the boat when you row it, the bullet needs the same)

Also since scope makers don't make a polorization filter for them here is what you do.
1. go buy a $80 pair( or most expensive they have) of panty-hose in the largest size they have.
2. cut the crotch out and wrap it over the rear lense of your scope
(this will filter the vapors that are floating over the water that you are seeing out of the scope so you will see the target very clearly and not have a mirage-y sight picture)
3. if after a while you smell something funny, remove the makeshift filter and get a new pair of panty hose that has not been worn.
4. worn p-hose reduce the effectiveness of the make shift filter and are distracting.
5. if you buy the smallest pair of expensive hose and they smell nice, discard immediatly because the 'phermones' will negatively effect your shooting.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weasethis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can let this one slide...
IF yore ole lady catches ya w/ the panty hose, you can tell her they're yours and are used only for precision rifle testing....THAT'S fuckin gonna fly, I tell ya! Specially if there's a smell to "em!

</div></div>

Ok, spilling the beans on the secret squirrel stuff

The dope does not change. But the optics stuff is not currently available from any scope manufacture.

From land over water to land there is a lot of water vapor over the water and you need a polarizer filter to eliminate ’water paralax’.

The Navy does not use it because they shoot from water over water so it negates it all out.

Anyway, really expensive panty hose has light bending ability and the cortex of it all is the crotch area.

Putting this super fabric on your scope eliminates ‘water paralax’

You may not know directly about expensive hose but another term everyone is familiar with is ‘beer goggles’. You know after the package is unwrapped and the next day it slips from a 9.5 to about a 3.0 That is because of the missing hose.

It is not the beer it is the light bending fibers in expensive hose.

So if the wife or girlfriend is problematic about p-hose in the residence that is not hers there is another option.

Get a lens from a pair of Foster Grant Sunglasses. Only the Aviator model with the plastic frames. Take one of the lenses and put it on the front of your scope, this too will eliminate ‘water paralax’. It is only 50% as effective as p-hose but will get you back on target.

If you can’t find any on Ebay, check the second hand stores and look in the [edit: pockets of] Members Only jackets, I’ve always found them there.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weasethis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can let this one slide...

</div></div>

Ok, spilling the beans on the secret squirrel stuff

The dope does not change. But the optics stuff is not currently available from any scope manufacture.

From land over water to land there is a lot of water vapor over the water and you need a polarizer filter to eliminate ’water paralax’.

The Navy does not use it because they shoot from water over water so it negates it all out.

Anyway, really expensive panty hose has light bending ability and the cortex of it all is the crotch area.

Putting this super fabric on your scope eliminates ‘water paralax’

You may not know directly about expensive hose but another term everyone is familiar with is ‘beer goggles’. You know after the package is unwrapped and the next day it slips from a 9.5 to about a 3.0 That is because of the missing hose.

It is not the beer it is the light bending fibers in expensive hose.

So if the wife or girlfriend is problematic about p-hose in the residence that is not hers there is another option.

Get a lens from a pair of Foster Grant Sunglasses. Only the Aviator model with the plastic frames. Take one of the lenses and put it on the front of your scope, this too will eliminate ‘water paralax’. It is only 50% as effective as p-hose but will get you back on target.

If you can’t find any on Ebay, check the second hand stores and look in the [edit: pockets of] Members Only jackets, I’ve always found them there.

Good luck </div></div>

Dose one color work better than the other. I have got to give it go and see how well this new fangled thing works.

i have contacted my Navy Seal freinds to ask about the over the water shots......but they were not able to return my satelite phone call......net net was three dead pirates.....don't think it was done with mirrors......me Boltripper being a brass ho ...they sent me this......

MVC-011S-4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have contacted my Navy Seal freinds to ask about the over the water shots......but they were not able to return my satelite phone call......net net was three dead pirates.....don't think it was done with mirrors......me Boltripper being a brass ho ...they sent me this......

</div></div>

Fedex?! I figured you swam around the cape for them babies!!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the physical effects on the projectile itself of a long distance shot over water. Limes should be spritzed over the projectiles then allowed to dry. This will help prevent the projectiles from developing rickets on an extended overwater flight. Rickets will of course predispose to bending of the projectile and subsequent instability of flight path.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weasethis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can let this one slide...
IF yore ole lady catches ya w/ the panty hose, you can tell her they're yours and are used only for precision rifle testing....THAT'S fuckin gonna fly, I tell ya! Specially if there's a smell to "em! </div></div>

This is why you should only rent hookers that wear white tube socks. No one will ask any questions about a white tube sock in the floor of the truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdaddy0381</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So in the southern hemisphere its effect would be doubled then right? </div></div>

No, in the souther hemisphere the bullet yaws to stardord and the effect still cancels out. </div></div>

would a reverse twist still have the same results.
</div></div>
Um, no.

All of this discussion, ALL of it, presumes the common right-hand twist barrel, a cultural artifact of Judeo-Christian theology which by happenstance* results in the net zero effects so briefly analyzed above.

Sinister-twist barrel? Your're screwed, the effects are doubled.

If you are unfortunate enough to be afflicted with such a rifle, send it to me for a happy enough home. I am quite tolerant, love a challenge, and don't throw rifles downrange when I forget to factor in all variables and blow a shot.

*It is strictly forbidden by the Tolerance Code of North America to even suggest that a Loving Creator could by design influence what otherwise looks like a chance event. Nope. Don't even go there.

The semen content seems a little high for that temp and such a low elavation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Y'all are making this way too complicated. If you harness technology as I have, and simply use the new Water App for Shooter on your Android phone, punching in a few variables will give you across-the-water first round hits!
Shooter2.png
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the trajectory passes over water, the velocity of the bullet goes from fps to knots. This abrupt change in units causes the bullet to yaw port side, but the cyclonic weather patterns present over large bodies of water in the northern hemisphere offset the deflection so that the net effect is zero. </div></div>
OK you have me LMAO!

also remember the effects of the semen levels have not been fully tested as a large enough sample has not been collected.

(im steping back and going away after that comment)

P.S. dont forget how your rank in call of duty, expecialy sniper experiance effects things

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john_1182</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also remember the effects of the semen levels have not been fully tested as a large enough sample has not been collected.

(im steping back and going away after that comment)

P.<span style="color: #FF0000">S. dont forget how your rank in call of duty, expecialy </span><span style="color: #FF0000">sniper experiance effects things</span> </div></div>

Great, there goes the time I had set aside to alphabetically organize my sock drawer. I guess I have to start playing that game now. Is it made for Atari?

You are leaving out one important factor....UV. The UV rays over the water can cause the bullet to just burst into flames if not protected. That is why I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze Boat/RV Pure Wax.
url]

This thread is great.

Damn! I didn't even think about the scotch factor!

I shoot fine over water while drinkin the Wild Turkey, but man if my groups don't open up when I drag out the Johny Walker.

As far as the ice boolits, I hear that you can take out a tango with em' and nobody can trace it back to you. . . .