• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

adding a dbm to a remmy 700p

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
I have a remmy 700p in .308 that I love. I want to add a detachable box mag to it. Can I have the h&s stock that it came with inletted or do I need to buy another stock. I ask because I really like the stock it has. I am also gonna get some other work done to the rifle but wanna know if I can add this first so I can get all work done at once.

Re: adding a dbm to a remmy 700p

The 700P stock can be inletted for a DBM. It's not a home project though. Most smiths will charge under $100 to do it though so it's not too bad.

Yeah, I just sent mine to Ross Precision Gunworks in Keller (Ft. Worth). Chuck seems like a stand up guy. He is installing a R&D dbm and cerakoting my milspec 5r .308 with HS precision stock. Look him up on here his screen name is SGT ROSS

those were quick responses. yes I am gonna send the rifle to have it done. I also am undecided between the surgeon and badger dbm.

Both will work fine. I have all Badgers on my rifles and like them.

Or....

DBM bottom metal designed to occupy the same footprint as the Remington 700 bottom metal. Made by a member here.
http://hooperordnance.com/page1.aspx

Since the above mentioned bottom metal takes AICS mags, it would also be compatible with the MORTA mags (just like the AICS 10 round, but shorter and less expensive). Also made by a member here.
http://www.alphaindmfg.com/

--------

I have no experience with the Hooper line of products, but reputation says that the Hooper line is first class. I currently own many of the products of the owner of Alpha industries, the maker of the MORTA mag, and from experience this is also a first class organization.

Hink you bloody legend!

Thanks for the link
smile.gif

Check with Glen at http://www.seekinsprecision.com/, he has a new dbm that takes AICS mags and the mag release is close to same as AR-15 so uses same muscle memory.also its ambi...
I did the inletting myself on rem 700 switch barrel 243ai/308 HS stock, it was kinda pain in the ass and still need to go back and touch it up...the system ABBSOLUTLY ROCKS!!!
Its possible if your handy just follow Glens detailed instructions... but its worth having someone else do it that has a mill..

I inleted my m5, wasnt easy, but wasnt hard. Save yourself the money by doing it yourself, spend the cash on ammo. Stock mods arent to hard if you are careful, go slow, and dont drink while doing it. Just measure 3 times, cut once.

+1 with JB3506 on Ross Precision Gunworks.

SGT ROSS is very much a stand up guy, his work is QUALITY, and his customer service is top notch. Drop him a line and see what you think.

I'm not discrediting any other gunsmiths, especially none here on the Hide. I am a customer of SGT ROSS and feel 100% confident in recommending him for consideration.

texasvmi

HS Precision makes a DBM system that drops into their stocks,with no modification...according to them YRMV. I a HS Precision HTR that came with one installed and have had no issues with it. I am going to put one in my McM stock when I get home. There are two main complaints I have heard with the HS system. The first is the cost of the magazines, they are spendy, but well made. The second is that they can rattle when empty. I spoke with HS Precision recently, they told me that they were coming out with a new design the first of next year that would address the rattling complaints. He said it would be worth the wait. I like the old system, so I am sure I will love the new. The proprietary magazines will most likely still be an issue. I didn't ask though, but he did say it would still be a drop in kit and that the 4 round mag would be flush like the current model. I think they are adding a second anchor point to the the front of the mag, where the current one only has one anchor point to the rear. If that doesn't float your boat, Surgeon and Badger. CDI offers a very reasonable system. I believe they will inlet your stock for it if you send it to them for a very reasonable fee, I was thinking that was "free" but I am not positive. There are lots of options out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RA10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check with Glen at http://www.seekinsprecision.com/, he has a new dbm that takes AICS mags and the mag release is close to same as AR-15 so uses same muscle memory.also its ambi...
I did the inletting myself on rem 700 switch barrel 243ai/308 HS stock, it was kinda pain in the ass and still need to go back and touch it up...the system ABBSOLUTLY ROCKS!!!
Its possible if your handy just follow Glens detailed instructions... but its worth having someone else do it that has a mill..
</div></div>

+1. Seekins new DBM with ambi mag release that takes AICS mags is sweet.. +1 also to SGT ROSS