Rifle Scopes Adhesive removal for NF ATACR?

sprink21

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2014
Vancouver, WA
I recently removed the scope tape I had wrapped my 4-20 ATACR in for this last hunting season and the tape left behind a lot of speckled adhesive residue. I had some GooGone that I was unsuccessful with and was wondering if anyone had success with something else that was still safe for the NF finish? Thanks

The self adhesive camo wraps will do the same thing, I've used 90% rubbing alcohol and acetone to remove it in the past, it's not going to harm the aluminum scope tube. In my experience GooGone is pretty useless compared to some rubbing alcohol and a fingernail.

Varsol. Use to be common in parts washers. Works well on many adhesives, and great on chewing gum, but you might have to follow it up with soap and water to remove the oily residue.

Mineral spirits is similar to varsol (slightly different composition due to distillation fraction).

Acetone works, is less toxic, but evaporates fast.

Methyl Ethyl Ketone is stronger than acetone, and has a higher toxicity. It also evaporates quickly.

Depending on the adhesive 95% alcohol can work.

All are organic solvents/diluents and can screw up plastic and finishes (depends on the composition of the plastic/paint). All are flammable, so ventilation and safety are advised. Acetone and alcohol can be diluted with water, but it will reduce efficacy. All can be bought at Home Depot, Lowes, or your local hardware store. Be safe.

I would try 3M Adhesive Remover. Generally safe. Comes in a red and white quart can. Also, Acetone is probably safe. For either of these, try a small area first.

I've used the 3M product successfully without harming finishes for years, including on various types of anodizing. It's $39/quart these days, but still available at O'Reilly Auto Parts in my area.

Last edited:
Reactions: sprink21