• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

ADL configuration for precision build?

TARFU

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
PA
Per my previous posts, I have an old R700 ADL LA in 30.06. I am building a 6.5X55 with a Kreiger #8 and Manners T3. Since I have the ADL guard and follower already, I am thinking of saving ~$200.00 on bottom metal and just having the stock inletted for ADL. I know a Badger DBM would be ideal, but I am looking for an accurate rifle first because with tight funds, I still need to buy optics.

To be honest, most of my bolt rifle shooting is single shot, and I don't think I've ever opened my floorplate on my 700 BDL. Any thoughts on this?

Re: ADL configuration for precision build?

I could not agree more. The next rifle that I build will be on an ADL action. They are cheap as hell, and I never use the floor plate (neither does anyone I know). I am a huge believer in the simpler the better (KISS), so I say go against the grain and keep that blind magazine. To hell with the masses! Just my .02

i too prefer ADL but, if you ever have a jamb, the bdl is MUCH easier to clear. if my life depended on it, it would be a BDL. thankfully it doesnt. in all reality, i prefer a single shot in most situations.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i too prefer ADL but, if you ever have a jamb, the bdl is MUCH easier to clear. if my life depended on it, it would be a BDL. thankfully it doesnt. in all reality, i prefer a single shot in most situations.

chuck </div></div>

+1, I Agree.

That being said, each time I go into my smith's shop, I consider a blind mag when I see one of the builds he is working on, bat repeater, mcm cut for adl.

ADL will save you money and make a great build. That being said just for resale alone I would just buy some of the less expensive BDL blottom metal and be done with it. Shouldn't cost you more than another 75.00.

I'm not military or LE, I just want a quality, accurate rifle. So, I'm looking at it like this:

Savings:
ADL vs. bottom metal or badger: $180-365
Bead blast SS barrel vs. Cerekote gun: $200
Leuopold target knobs vs.M1 knobs $150
Manners T3 vs. McMillan HTG: $50
EGW base and rings Vs. Badger: $120

Total Savings: $700-885

All of the things above would be nice if there was a surplus of money, but in my opinion would not affect where the bullet hits the target. For me, thats one less gun out of my collecton I will have to sell to do this build. Anyway, thats my thinking.

I am about ready to turn my 270WSM into an ADL...it has Badger M4 on it now and I never drop the floorplate. If you plan on using it single shot glue in a follower and never worry about jams....or keep the internal mag and worry about the 1 in 200 shells kicking sideways in the internal mag...I will not when I run ADL.

Other consideration is if you think that you might ever run matches with the rifle...if I build another rifle it will be with a DBM system....so that I could reload faster under time constraints and have the rounds easily contained in the mag in a pouch...not that you have to have a DMB but it makes it a lot easier to haull ready to roll out rounds.

Last thing I would consider is the size of the trigger guard...the ADL's have a tendancy to be smaller inside by the trigger...so gloves or big fingers become more of a pain in the ass to run in the small trigger guard. That is the nice thing about the aftermarket bottom metals...the M4 is nice sized and the DD Ross has even more room in the trigger area. That said Glen Seekins is planning an ADL trigger guard that has a larger than factory trigger area....I have not seen any info from Glen on this yet other than a quick mention that it was bouncing around in his head.