Advice on my first Custom build

Observant25

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2024
NC
Hi Everyone.

I'm still very green in long range. I've mostly been around standard Rifles, shotguns and Handguns only. I'm always liked bolt action but the timing wa never right to be able to get into it either from where i lived, price or other life priorities.

After my initial researchwhich turned into weeks upon weeks going down a rabbit hole of just biting a bullet to buy once cry once and build a really nice long range bolt action.
I have a range near me which had been growing that has 25 - 500 yards (open to public) and two 1000 yards for qualified members only. Looking to get some feedback or personal opinions about my current planned build, and if anyone would give recommendations, etc.

Action: Lone Peak Arms Fuzion .308; bolt face (this is the only item i have already purchased).

Chassis: Vision Pro
- I'm looking to get the foldable stock adapter hinge. Would this really affect how the rifle may shoot?

Magazines: Leaning towards AW (action and chassis can accept this or AICS). I like the low profile idea and how the magazine of an AW may not hit a bag since the stop is close on this chassis.

Trigger: TT Diamond 2 stage. Flat

Muzzlebreak: Spearhead 5 Port

Scope: either
- Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 MIL
-LRP S3 425-50
-NF NX8 4-32x50 F1
I like first plane and mil over moa.

Barrel: Proof Barrels prefit in .308. I was originally thinking to do 6.5cm for more range but the barrel life is feel is so short in comparison and the .308 will last a long time and if I hunt would pack a better punch less 600yards from what I gather.

I'm very open to barrels as this has been the most difficult to research for me. It's endless information. Looking to go for a 24" in length but Prefits seem to come 26"? Is it easy to swap a barrel in the garage for a prefit rather than go to a gunsmith? Any advice I'll appreciate.

I should mention I'm not in a rush but If I can get anything sooner than later with holiday special deals I will.

Thank you to all in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody S
Those scope choices are kinda lame.

Look at the mk4hd 6-24. Same glass as the mk5. Get a reticle with .2 or .25 mil hashes. You will understand later. The nx8 is a horrible scope if you need to spend alot of time on glass.

Buy a creed. Barrel life is the latest thing you should be worried about ammo costs will be 5x barrel cost making it irrelevant. The extra recoil and difficulty in shooting a .308 is going to be more of a hinderence to a new shooter. You can get good match 6.5cm ammo for $1.25 rd shipped.

You might want to talk to a bunch more "experienced" shooters before making a decision. Half the responses you are going to get here will be bullshit and border line retarded.

Only one I can comment on is the barrel. I will say that I truly love the .308, it is a great round but if you are going to get into long range shooting it has some drawbacks. Ballistics show it struggles against wind much more than its creedmoor cousins. It also has significantly more recoil and bullet drop is greater. The 6.5 still gives you upwards of 2500-3000 round before you see “some” drop off. By the time you get there your expectations will change. Like I said I love my 308 and shoot it a lot, I also recognize it has it’s limits when you start really stretching it’s legs.

Last edited:

Look at the mk4hd 6-24. Same glass as the mk5. Get a reticle with .2 or .25 mil hashes. You will understand later. The nx8 is a horrible scope if you need to spend alot of time on glass.

Buy a creed. Barrel life is the latest thing you should be worried about ammo costs will be 5x barrel cost making it irrelevant. The extra recoil and difficulty in shooting a .308 is going to be more of a hinderence to a new shooter. You can get good match 6.5cm ammo for $1.25 rd shipped.

You might want to talk to a bunch more "experienced" shooters before making a decision. Half the responses you are going to get here will be bullshit and border line retarded.
All of this. The most experienced shooters with a whole stable of rifles they use a lot will not obsess about any one brand or part of a build because they know nothing is perfect and budget always has more impact long term than almost anything else.

Thanks for tips! For the scope this is the one you would basically be recommending? https://www.leupold.com/mark-4hd-6-24x52-m5c3-side-focus-ffp-pr2-mil-riflescope as it's.1 mil and looks like it has .25 ticks

^Looking to get practice in before any matches but that would be the goal. Not sure how their matches fully work yet.
If you’re trying to get into that crowd, would 100% recommend a 6.5 creedmoor. Most guys shooting those matches are dealing in some flavor of the 6mm’s, and the 6.5 would perform. Instead of deciding between barrel life of the rounds, think of the barrel as a consumable, where the ammo will far outcost the barrel.

Reactions: oldrifleman
If the gun is being used for PRS style matches, like the ones they run at that range, I would do a stainless barrel. I’ve always had great luck with Proof prefits, or the guys at Altus Shooting have always hooked me up. The Vision Chassis is definitely on the heavier side, but super comfortable. The ACC Elite or Matrix Pro give a similar vibe when I’ve messed with them. Typically the carbon barrels see a slightly reduced barrel life, from what I’ve seen.

With a 6.5 would it make sense to carbon the barrel? Does that really help with heat and life (except for weight) or would you say it's better to save money and simply get a Stainless and focus more on the cost of the bullet.
Get a stainless barrel. Carbon only real purpose is western hunting and even then you can debate it's merits vs a thinner profile stainless at similar weight.

Pick an action ( impact, lone peak, arc cdg) were you can order off the shelf prefits that are in stock. Waiting for a gunsmith sucks. It will probally be cheaper as well as they can turn them out in bulk on a cnc vs most smith's on a manual.

Barrels are tires. You run them till you need to replace them. Consumable item. If you get the bug hard you will be burning out a few barrels a year and want to make logistics as painless as possible. Invest in a good barrel vise and pick up an action wrench for whatever action you decide.

Reactions: FNG1001
Hi Everyone.

I'm still very green in long range. I've mostly been around standard Rifles, shotguns and Handguns only. I'm always liked bolt action but the timing wa never right to be able to get into it either from where i lived, price or other life priorities.

After my initial researchwhich turned into weeks upon weeks going down a rabbit hole of just biting a bullet to buy once cry once and build a really nice long range bolt action.
I have a range near me which had been growing that has 25 - 500 yards (open to public) and two 1000 yards for qualified members only. Looking to get some feedback or personal opinions about my current planned build, and if anyone would give recommendations, etc.

Action: Lone Peak Arms Fuzion .308; bolt face (this is the only item i have already purchased).

Chassis: Vision Pro
- I'm looking to get the foldable stock adapter hinge. Would this really affect how the rifle may shoot?

Magazines: Leaning towards AW (action and chassis can accept this or AICS). I like the low profile idea and how the magazine of an AW may not hit a bag since the stop is close on this chassis.

Trigger: TT Diamond 2 stage. Flat

Muzzlebreak: Spearhead 5 Port

Scope: either
- Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 MIL
-LRP S3 425-50
-NF NX8 4-32x50 F1
I like first plane and mil over moa.

Barrel: Proof Barrels prefit in .308. I was originally thinking to do 6.5cm for more range but the barrel life is feel is so short in comparison and the .308 will last a long time and if I hunt would pack a better punch less 600yards from what I gather.

I'm very open to barrels as this has been the most difficult to research for me. It's endless information. Looking to go for a 24" in length but Prefits seem to come 26"? Is it easy to swap a barrel in the garage for a prefit rather than go to a gunsmith? Any advice I'll appreciate.

I should mention I'm not in a rush but If I can get anything sooner than later with holiday special deals I will.

Thank you to all in advance!
Leupold scopes are for Fudds... You were heading in the right direction with the Zeiss LRP S3 and NF... But I'd also recommend in that price range to look strongly at the Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 and the Kahles K624i SKMR4.

Reactions: oldrifleman
LP actions I'm told are nice and should work good, one of the few brands I haven't owned.
as far as stocks what I'll say is you may want to consider an American option like the MPA Vanquish, ARC chassis, foundation, manners, etc.
a heavy rifle is more fun to just go prone and shoot. you may not want to carry it but it will always recoil better and more comfortable.
barrels are easy peasy if you got money. Go to patriot valley arms . com and order what you want from them. get the osprey barrel blank if you can swing it, and the rush on the work if you need it, otherwise you'll have your barrel in 6-8 weeks.
I'd recommend a super heavy contour like "bartlein MTU" or the "proof competition", but a good medium weight to consider is heavy palma.
I highly recommend a 6.5 creedmoor.
the rifle is only half the battle, you still need to learn how to do a load development and make good ammo if you want to do long range stuff.
if you want to get by without handloading the only one I've found that I like is berger ammo, its like 95% as good as my handloads, plus save that lapua brass it's the tits.

With a 6.5 would it make sense to carbon the barrel? Does that really help with heat and life (except for weight) or would you say it's better to save money and simply get a Stainless and focus more on the cost of the bullet.

No don't get a carbon fiber barrel for your intended use. It's more money and worse set up for matches as it's light and you want weight. Take a look at the PVA prefits also. @bohem here on the Hide and they do excellent work. You can get whatever length and contour you want. That said I would get a 26" barrel no matter the caliber. You get free velocity and better balance with the weight out front. My 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 are both 28" barrels. Changing barrels at home is super easy. If you can screw a bolt into a nut then you can change a shouldered prefit barrel. Don't get a barrel nut set up.

As to the chassis, I wouldn't get folding unless you had a need. It's one of those features that sounds cool and you will pay more for and never use. Never used that chassis but it looks decent but expensive. I'd be looking at the MPA and MDT options also.

Scope, the Zeiss are excellent. Get the S3 4-25 of your choices but if you wanted more power the 6-36 is excellent also. I have 3 of them and like them a lot. What's your price range?

You can use AW mags if you want but having used AICS mags in matches since 2004 I can tell you they won't hold you back at all. I'd try both if I were you and see what works for you.

Frontline is a good range and this coming year they will be running matches in a series with Alliance Outdoors which is out near the coast. I only shot one out there but it's not a bad range at all. Don't stress it's not "PRS sanctioned" especially at your starting point. It's a match so go have fun.

Another range to look at is Woody's down in New Hill. Not sure where you are in NC but if near Raleigh it's another option. They have a 550 range and a 1000 also. I am a member there.

No don't get a carbon fiber barrel for your intended use. It's more money and worse set up for matches as it's light and you want weight. Take a look at the PVA prefits also. @bohem here on the Hide and they do excellent work. You can get whatever length and contour you want. That said I would get a 26" barrel no matter the caliber. You get free velocity and better balance with the weight out front. My 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 are both 28" barrels. Changing barrels at home is super easy. If you can screw a bolt into a nut then you can change a shouldered prefit barrel. Don't get a barrel nut set up.

As to the chassis, I wouldn't get folding unless you had a need. It's one of those features that sounds cool and you will pay more for and never use. Never used that chassis but it looks decent but expensive. I'd be looking at the MPA and MDT options also.

Scope, the Zeiss are excellent. Get the S3 4-25 of your choices but if you wanted more power the 6-36 is excellent also. I have 3 of them and like them a lot. What's your price range?

You can use AW mags if you want but having used AICS mags in matches since 2004 I can tell you they won't hold you back at all. I'd try both if I were you and see what works for you.

Frontline is a good range and this coming year they will be running matches in a series with Alliance Outdoors which is out near the coast. I only shot one out there but it's not a bad range at all. Don't stress it's not "PRS sanctioned" especially at your starting point. It's a match so go have fun.

Another range to look at is Woody's down in New Hill. Not sure where you are in NC but if near Raleigh it's another option. They have a 550 range and a 1000 also. I am a member there.
Hey thanks for your input

The foldable option (is more for space and travel). Given is only about $200 more I say why not unless structural integrity of the rifle would greatly suffer, which it seemed wouldn't be issue.

Scope wise im looking at around 2k. +/- a 100 or two. I want a great quality that's going to last with a good company behind it for warranty. This is the last item I'll be purchasing so if I need to save up into next year i will.

Appreciate your take on barrels. Seems like pva was more blanks over prefit at first glance. It had some prefit called out but it didn't call out the lone park action. Is there much of a benefit to go with a black over a shoulder prefit on an action like this? I feel like being able to do it yourself pays off better in the long run.

I'll take a look at the alliance outdoors. May be something to go do. Not going to care about placement as much as I would be to simply into it and understand how it works for the next time.

I checked out your woody's. Looks like a really nice place. Frontline is bit closer and a I would not care so much for the extra little drive (in WF area) but they dont have non member days which is little bummer. Maybe in a year's time but not looking to do any memberships just yet.

Ah just found the corect
Hey thanks for your input

The foldable option (is more for space and travel). Given is only about $200 more I say why not unless structural integrity of the rifle would greatly suffer, which it seemed wouldn't be issue.

Scope wise im looking at around 2k. +/- a 100 or two. I want a great quality that's going to last with a good company behind it for warranty. This is the last item I'll be purchasing so if I need to save up into next year i will.

Appreciate your take on barrels. Seems like pva was more blanks over prefit at first glance. It had some prefit called out but it didn't call out the lone park action. Is there much of a benefit to go with a black over a shoulder prefit on an action like this? I feel like being able to do it yourself pays off better in the long run.

I'll take a look at the alliance outdoors. May be something to go do. Not going to care about placement as much as I would be to simply into it and understand how it works for the next time.

I checked out your woody's. Looks like a really nice place. Frontline is bit closer and a I would not care so much for the extra little drive (in WF area) but they dont have non member days which is little bummer. Maybe in a year's time but not looking to do any memberships just yet.
Ah just found the correct link to the Fuzion prefit on the PVA page.

If you want foldable then go for it. Shouldn’t effect anything if they did it right. I have had stocks with folding in the past.

PVA is shouldered prefits. Just saw you found it as I was typing. It’s in the drop down menu. You definitely want a shouldered prefit. Super easy to change at home. Screw action on to barrel. Done. Lol
E51B0229-CD76-4A39-908B-5885EF25B6F2.jpeg

Yeah Frontline is a nice place. I just wasn’t sure where you were relative to it and Woody’s but where you are go to Frontline. Have shot a lot of matches up there.

For optics I don’t think you would be upset with the Zeiss in your price range. Keep an eye on the PX for a lot of gear.

listen to @Rob01 , he knows stuff and things.
as far as scopes at that price you should look into vortex gen 3 razor but right at the top of the budget, assuming you find a decent sale or a discount code on the px or at a match prize table. Several vendors run deals around black Friday.

listen to @Rob01 , he knows stuff and things.
as far as scopes at that price you should look into vortex gen 3 razor but right at the top of the budget, assuming you find a decent sale or a discount code on the px or at a match prize table. Several vendors run deals around black Friday.
Your recommending the 6-36x56mm version and not the 1-10 right? Varying prices from an initial search. Opticsplanet got for 2600 on sale. Would you say that is about right for this type of scope ?

Your recommending the 6-36x56mm version and not the 1-10 right? Varying prices from an initial search. Opticsplanet got for 2600 on sale. Would you say that is about right for this type of scope ?
correct, anywhere from 2200-2600 seems a decent deal on the 6-36 vortex razor. you wait until black Friday you'll get closer to the 2200$ imo.
or better idea, figure out which vendors who advertise here on the hide carry vortex scopes and call them and ask if they do special deals they don't advertise. never know what might happen. *hint hint*