• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

advice wanted---carbine build

91xlt

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
Phila., PA
pretty new to AR's, want to have a carbine built for accuracy and reliability, please any help is appreciated....

trying to go thru this with as few "mistakes" as possible.

16" bbl length, is what i am looking for.

Re: advice wanted---carbine build

Your question will only open up a can of worms and leave you more confused than when you began. The nice part about ARs is now days there is so many great options that your wants are based on what you can afford to spend and the quality is out there. If you wish to buy an already put together kit then buy a complete upper or rifle. If you wish to build it yourself check out Rainier Arms for everything you could need!

It depends on what you mean by accuracy. For standard carbine and government profile barrels, you'll get about 2-3 MOA accuracy consistently. If you want 1 MOA or sub-MOA accuracy, you need to go to a match grade barrel, which is heavier and costs more.

If you want a good setup that is accurate and built from the ground up to be rugged and reliable, I would recommend the following:

Noveske matched upper/lower receivers (upper has M4 feed ramps)
Noveske 16" Recon barrel
Noveske bolt carrier group
RRA/DPMS lower parts kit w/ mil-spec trigger group
mil-spec carbine receiver extension tube/spring/buffer kit
Magpul MOE or CTR stock
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard (aluminum)
Troy TRX battlerail
Troy BattleSight BUIS
POF 5.56mm muzzle brake/compensator
Aimpoint Micro T-1 or M4S, both with LaRue QD mounts
Viking Tactics/VTAC Backpack Sling

Optional Upgrade:
Springco extra power upgrade kit (extra power recoil and 5-coil extractor springs)

Cheaper alternative to the barrel:
WOA 16" stainless match grade barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on what you mean by accuracy. For standard carbine and government profile barrels, you'll get about 2-3 MOA accuracy consistently. If you want 1 MOA or sub-MOA accuracy, you need to go to a match grade barrel, which is heavier and costs more.

If you want a good setup that is accurate and built from the ground up to be rugged and reliable, I would recommend the following:

Noveske matched upper/lower receivers (upper has M4 feed ramps)
Noveske 16" Recon barrel
Noveske bolt carrier group
RRA/DPMS lower parts kit w/ mil-spec trigger group
mil-spec carbine receiver extension tube/spring/buffer kit
Magpul MOE or CTR stock
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard (aluminum)
Troy TRX battlerail
Troy BattleSight BUIS
POF 5.56mm muzzle brake/compensator
Aimpoint Micro T-1 or M4S, both with LaRue QD mounts
Viking Tactics/VTAC Backpack Sling

Optional Upgrade:
Springco extra power upgrade kit (extra power recoil and 5-coil extractor springs)

Cheaper alternative to the barrel:
WOA 16" stainless match grade barrel </div></div>
I have always gotten under 1 MOA on all my WOA barrels and the last one I purchased is a 1/2 MOA shooter.

recomendations for builders...
wink.gif

order your upper from monty at Centurion arms

lower from JD machine (they make noveske)

just saying and monty can go fit the upper to your lower since they are both in san diego
laugh.gif

The first question you need to ask yourself is "what will I be shooting". The bullet type you plan to shoot the most (which determines it's weight and length) will tell you what twist rate you need. Under/over-stabilization will kill your accuracy.
If all you ever plan to shoot are 55gr or 65gr FMJ ball rounds, you are fine with a 1:9 twist. If you plan on using 62gr penetrators you will want to step up to 1:8 or 1:7 (the bullet is longer and need a higher twist to stabilize).
I run 1:7 on all my AR's, regardless of barrel length because I use a wide variety of ammunition, and it just gives me more versatility. Yes accuracy does suffer a bit when using the lighter stuff, but not by any noticeable measure from what I can tell.

Once you determine your twist, pick a barrel material. I suggest stainless for accuracy and consistency.
Contrary to what you might hear, stainless lasts just as long as a chrome lined bbl will. That is to say you will get about the same number of rounds out of each before it's time for a new one. Yes the SS is softer, but it starts it's life at a higher accuracy level than a chrome lined one. By time both are worn out they will both be capable of the same level of accuracy.
So the decision ultimately comes down to a choice between an <span style="font-style: italic">extremely accurate bbl that will turn to crap in 10,000 rounds</span>, or a <span style="font-style: italic">moderately accurate barrel that will turn to crap in the same 10,000 rounds</span>.

Profile I'll leave to you. Naturally the heavier the better (in terms of accuracy), but realize that going heavy makes things... heavy.
grin.gif

I have a 16" SS SPR-profile bbl in 308win on my LR308 that is heavy as hell as it is (it feels like an HBAR). I can't even imagine how much worse it would have been if I had gone with a heavy or bull barrel option, or had another 2-4 inches on it.
I like gov't profile bbl's the most though. It seems like a good balance between weight and accuracy.

So you have your twist rate and bbl material selected. Next is to determine bbl and gas length. You said you want a 16" so I'm going to say get a bbl with mid-length gas port for reliability. Carbine length gas on a 16" bbl is hard on an ar. By going to mid-length gas you keep the same distance from the gas port to the muzzle as you do with a 14.5" bbl with carbine length gas. The overall effect is lower felt recoil, less wear, and higher reliability.

The last thing to really worry about is the bolt carrier group. Do yourself a favor and get a chrome carrier with an MP tested bolt and upgraded extractor. And going one step further, make it an M16 carrier. The heavier weight will reduce felt recoil even further.

You add all these things together... and you can have one hell of an accurate AR.

If you're not up to building the upper yourself (you'll need some tools like a vise, ar15 upper vise block, armorers wrench, torque wrench, punch set, etc to do it all yourself), the best bang for your buck will be a complete upper from BCM, assuming they have what you want in stock (because they always sell out fast).
Noveske, LMT, and others make great stuff as well, but they tend to be overpriced in my opinion. The choice is yours of course. I know if I had the money to blow, I'd have a noveske AR just so I could put it through all sorts of hell and make all the jealous fanboys cry.