• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors After a 20 month wait, the Cyclone is here!!!!

slimguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
Albq., NM
I got to take it out on T-day and shot all day with no "ears" very comfortably. That thing is awesome. It enabled me to about half my groups to below .5 MOA. I shot my first 600 yard groups and the best was 2.5", worst was 3 11/16" (both are measured center to center).

Talk about a blast, I'm kinda sad to go back to my .22 trainer.

Just had to share!!!

Re: After a 20 month wait, the Cyclone is here!!!!

One more thing, what range are you shooting at in ABQ that goes out to 600 yards?

I see that the DBL Eagle has a public open range out to 200 yards and another range that looks like a 500 yarder, but no one can use it - range officer was not very clear on the details???

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your host firearm?</div></div>

It's a Stiller tac-30 in a Manners stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why 20 months?</div></div>

It has to do with a class 3 dealer voiding his SOT half-way through the year, taking my can (due to per ATF logs it was his), waiting months before returning $.70 on the dollar only after I finally let him know I'm going to sue him in NM while he moved to Virginia, and then I had to start all over with a new dealer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thing, what range are you shooting at in ABQ that goes out to 600 yards?

I see that the DBL Eagle has a public open range out to 200 yards and another range that looks like a 500 yarder, but no one can use it - range officer was not very clear on the details???
</div></div>

The city range guys are greedy, cocky, asshole pricks whose heads have grown way to big. I REFUSE to go to the city range, we live in the middle of the desert for crying out loud.

I'm a member at Zia Rifle and Pistol Range down south by the Journal Pav. and the dragstrips. PM me if you wanna try it out after you google it and take a look at it.

Del Norte west of Rio Rancho goes to 1K but that's about an hour drive from me. There is also another 1K range in Edgewood but I don't remember the name.

Slim

What ammo were you using for your 2.5"-3 11/16" groups at 600 yards? Any idea what your muzzle velocity was?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiterme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ammo were you using for your 2.5"-3 11/16" groups at 600 yards? Any idea what your muzzle velocity was?</div></div>

It was a handload to replicate ther BH 175SMK load. It was all loaded before the rifle was completed so I hope to tighten that up a bit but we'll see....

No chrono....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, there is no such thing as a medically hearing-safe centerfire rifle suppressor when used with full power ammo. Next time use plugs.</div></div>

Really?!? That sucks. I do value my hearing though so I will. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, there is no such thing as a medically hearing-safe centerfire rifle suppressor when used with full power ammo. Next time use plugs. </div></div>You better wear hearing protection everytime your swinging at nails with a hammer,everytime you use just about any power equipment,or whenever you blend a smoothie in the kitchen then. My point is just that it is debatable and unless you are firing quite few rounds everyday a good silencer on a centerfire rifle protects your hearing enough to keep anything more than minimal hearing loss at a minimum. I am not saying that there is no chance of some sort of hearing loss as everybody is different and everyone shoots different amounts,but if you are just a casual shooter you will be ok with out hearing protection. Now if you are one of those guys who wears face masks and latex gloves in wal-mart then .......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if you are one of those guys who wears face masks and latex gloves in wal-mart then .......</div></div>

Then....?

Did you find some new tacti-cool equipment I can use to keep the zombie flu off me? ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is just that it is debatable [...] if you are just a casual shooter you will be ok with out hearing protection.</div></div>
It is only debatable if you don't know shit about how the ear works, and your advice is medically irresponsible. The hair cells in the ear get bent and broken when you are exposed to loud noise even once. Every single exposure to unsafe noise breaks more hair cells, and they don't regenerate. Now, you are right that everyone is different - maybe someone has enough spare hair cells that they can shoot a suppressed rifle 10,000 times before damaging their hearing to a clinically relevant degree. But maybe you can only do it 1,000 times. Or 500. After all, we are all different. Still feel comfortable shooting that silencer without earpro?

Your hearing is precious, treat it that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good. I'll get em up tonight </div></div>

And ???

Heres one:
100_0170.jpg

Heres another:
100_0174.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is just that it is debatable [...] if you are just a casual shooter you will be ok with out hearing protection.</div></div>
It is only debatable if you don't know shit about how the ear works, and your advice is medically irresponsible. The hair cells in the ear get bent and broken when you are exposed to loud noise even once. Every single exposure to unsafe noise breaks more hair cells, and they don't regenerate. Now, you are right that everyone is different - maybe someone has enough spare hair cells that they can shoot a suppressed rifle 10,000 times before damaging their hearing to a clinically relevant degree. But maybe you can only do it 1,000 times. Or 500. After all, we are all different. Still feel comfortable shooting that silencer without earpro?

Your hearing is precious, treat it that way. </div></div>

X1000 My Dad is a Audiologist and preaches this . After sustaining industrial noise related loss, I now wear protection doing anything that can cause loss. I even wear muffs when riding the lawnmower.
Ask a deaf person what they would give to hear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His ears, his choice. </div></div>
Just want people to make an educated choice. Would hate for someone to go deaf because he read on an internet forum that "as long as it doesn't ring your ears, it's safe" or other such BS.

You don't need hearing pro with a cyclone on a 308. The arguement here is "hearing safe" under the medical definition nothing meets that, even everyday crap out side included, never hammer a nail, turn up your stereo, etc.... 140 db or under is deemed "hearing safe" in the non-medical scale, your combo meters well under this.......IMHO

I do appreciate the info for both side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that range south of Kirtland?</div></div>

More southwest, in the pic towards the mountains you're actually looking at KAFB land. Just a fence between us but they say we can't shoot that way.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, there is no such thing as a medically hearing-safe centerfire rifle suppressor when used with full power ammo. Next time use plugs. </div></div>

What is the dB to be "medically" safe?

I think OSHA "safe" is under 140 dB.

140 dB is still freakin' loud IMO! Hearing safe to me would be below 60dB. Still not worth the risk.

I'm not an audiologist, but I do know that certain sounds (High pressure impact) are more damaging from one incident. ie: firearms, hammering. Still I protect my hearing and eyes whenever I'm shooting. Sometimes it's a pain while hunting, but I'll use slim electronic muffs instead of losing my hearing suppressed or not.

OSHA's limit for not forcing employeers to provide hearing protection for a impact noise is 140 db. However, the rules on noise on the jobsite are actually pretty complicated on how they figure a daily average and such. So I don't think their regulations really have the best interest of your long term hearing in mind. Trying to peg down a medically safe noise level is impossible because not only the type of sound (continuous -vs- impulse/impact) and the duration of exposure need to be taken into account. It probably also varies by individual, some people are probably more resilient to hearing damage.

The best advice is really simple, use as much hearing protection as you can reasonably do whenever you are around loud noises. Common sense can be used here (by those with it) if you run a rip saw or nail gun 10 hours a day you better wear it.

Hunting really depends on the situation. When the adrenaline is really kicking the ears shut themselves down as part of the flight/fight response in order to preserve hearing somewhat. However, if you are not in the heat of the moment in say a 500 yard shot you've spent 10 minutes setting up, I'd take the extra 15 seconds to stick some earplugs in. If you are startled in the woods by a huge buck that jumps up 25 yards away and snap shoot it you'll never even hear the gun go off, or feel the recoil, and your hearing will probably be fine. If you hunt with a break on, you better find a way to protect your hearing.

I would love to see a test on how effective muffs really are. Personally I think for a lot of people they don't work nearly as well as plugs for a couple reasons. First we have to wear glasses on the range (a good thing) but many times with glasses they compromise the muff seal's effectiveness. I'd be willing to bet that if the noise level could be tested on a shooter wearing glasses muffs are not as effective as their rating would show. The same is true for those of us that can't get a cheek weld without the muff coming into contact with the stock and messing with the seal.

Of course I'm also still not convinced that electronic muffs are as safe for your hearing as the non-electronic models. In all the versions I've used the muzzle blast sound is always louder in the electronic muff than in a high rated non-electronic. Is it enough to enhance hearing damage over long exposure....I have no idea.

People can choose not to wear it if they want, but ask anyone with hearing damage and every one of the wishes they could get it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 20 months? I start to get grumpy just after a six month wait... </div></div>
thats a long wait.