• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ai .223 mags installed and works perfect.

CDiPrecision

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I recieved a small lot of 223 mags from AI, and Decided to put a DBM into a little Howa 1500 I have here at the shop.

The inletting was the same as the 308 install. The Action needed just slight trimming(the 223 has more meat in the way).

The bolt stop also had to be trimmed, so the bolt would go back far enough to pick up the rounds. this is all easy stuff.

Pics here:

AI-2231.JPG

AI-2232.JPG

AI-2233.JPG

AI-2234.JPG

Re: Ai .223 mags installed and works perfect.

Still wainting on my mags! You guys should all have to wait to post pics of your really cool rifles with the nes AI 223 mags until the rest of us get ours.

Your killing me! I want to play too.

Wow! Only $37 for a 10 round mag! Pretty good price when compared to a 10 round .308 mag! Guess the polymer mags are cheaper to manufacture.... and AI reports the polys functioned better than metal for the .223's.... Gonna need to get to work on my .223 bolt rig!!

Is this conversion available for the Remington 700. I have a .223 that I'd like converted to DBM. I have a BC stock that I'd like to swap with the factory Varminter stock.

Jeff,

I have a Savage model 10 action in an HS stock that also has your detachable magazine installed. I have a few of these new AI mags on the way.

Per your comments with the Howa 1500, can I expect to have issues with my Savage working with these mags?

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Unfortunately I received my AICS mags today, and there are definately some issues.

With 223 rounds in the magazine and the bolt open, the magazine cannot be loaded into the rifle (Savage model 10, short action). The rim of the top round hits the bottom of the bolt head, and the magazine will not travel further. It appears the bolt must travel further rearward in the action itself to open up the breech enough for the magazine to properly seat.

I took a quick peak at the bolt stop. On a Savage, that is quite a small piece of metal. I'm not sure I want to remove anything from that surface.

I would be open to removing metal from the rear face of the second set of lug shaped protrusions on the Savage bolt. Savage calls it the <span style="text-decoration: underline">front baffle</span>. I don't beleive these are actually lugs, but rather male raceway guides that fit the female raceway which is cut in the action.

Do you think removing material from the surface on the bolt that mates with the bolt stop to be the prudent thing to do?

<span style="color: #000099">(remove material here?)</span>
savage-tactical-bolt-installation-7.jpg

BoltParts2-1.jpg

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATE:</span> Figured it out!</span>

One side of the lug on the older Savage bolts are longer than the other side. This longer lug also happens to be on the same side as the bolt stop!

I replaced my older lug with a newer bolt (short lugs) and everything works fine now!

<span style="color: #000099">(older bolt with mis-matched lug lengths)</span>
images

I've got a savage 10 as well. Standard 308 so i didn't have trouble with the lug like you did when inserting the aics 223 mag. the magazine seats perfectly fine. The issue i've got is that the feed lips are definitely going to need to be tweaked with a file to allow the rounds to sit up a bit higher and the bottom tip of the bolt to slide through them easier. Right now it picks up every few rounds ok but about half start to get picked up and then the bolt slides over top of them. (one reason i like metal feed lips vs. polymer).

I don't want to adjust my mag lever to push the magazine up further because the 308 mags feed perfectly right now and i'm going to keep this a switchbarrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1troubleshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">same trouble here. either i got to trim down the front baffle or purchase a new one. by the way Glock24 where did you purchase a newer style baffle? thanks. </div></div>

Midway USA had 'em for $10 or $15 each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: will67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brownells has them for $5. Make sure you order the long action baffle. </div></div>

my short action (10fcp) .308 has the short baffle . I looked at a new .223 predator hunter and a buddy's older .223 10fp. They both have the longer baffle. I think it's a factory .223 thing because the magazine in the newer .223 savage Cente feed had a spacer in the rear.

Yep, probably a 223 specific issue, but if you order a short action baffle (they don't list a difference in part numbers or calibers) from Brownell's you'll get the longer baffle. I ordered 2 of each to be sure and the long action ones were the ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to guess that Rem 700 in 223 may also need a Bolt stop trimmed.. We will see if anyone chimes in about those as well.. I guess they like to reduce the bolt cycle length for the shorter rounds..IT looks to be a minor issue:) </div></div>

Jeff,

I've been checking out the .223 savages. As I plan on putting your bottom metal in one now that .223 mags are available from AI.

BTW AW and AICS mags BOTH function perfectly in my savage
smile.gif

Thanks,
LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to guess that Rem 700 in 223 may also need a Bolt stop trimmed.. We will see if anyone chimes in about those as well.. I guess they like to reduce the bolt cycle length for the shorter rounds..IT looks to be a minor issue:)</div></div>

Rem 700s should have no issues. They (223 face bolts) are the same as the 308 face bolt in regards to size with only the face being different. Your DBM should work just fine on either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: j-red</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue i've got is that the feed lips are definitely going to need to be tweaked with a file to allow the rounds to sit up a bit higher and the bottom tip of the bolt to slide through them easier. Right now it picks up every few rounds ok but about half start to get picked up and then the bolt slides over top of them. (one reason i like metal feed lips vs. polymer).
</div></div>

This is now my exact issue. It appears the magazine sits too low, and the bolt barely grabs the rim when pushing a round into the chamber. About halfway closed, the round slips under the bolt, and the bolt then tries to break the round in half!

Any other ways to get the magazine higher instead of filing the feed lips? If I am forced to file, is there a recommended technique?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IT is next..:) figure before june
smile.gif
</div></div>

So, are you planning on doing A.I. .223 BM that will be essentially a drop-in for the Tikka T3 line, with only minor stock modification needed, such as was rumoured in the other Tikka DBM thread?

I want an available, long mag for my T3 Lite so bad I can taste it.....as I am sure do others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to guess that Rem 700 in 223 may also need a Bolt stop trimmed.. We will see if anyone chimes in about those as well.. I guess they like to reduce the bolt cycle length for the shorter rounds..IT looks to be a minor issue:)</div></div>

Rem 700s should have no issues. They (223 face bolts) are the same as the 308 face bolt in regards to size with only the face being different. Your DBM should work just fine on either. </div></div>

Today, I swapped my CDI BDM/R700/.308/MCM A5 onto my sons' .223 R700 action. The mags snapped right in and functioned flawless. Definitely will be ordering another from Jeff.

Jeff, you have answered my question, and I never had to ask. I will be ordering Monday and also Triad for mags. What a great idea