• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

AI AT Accuracy Problems

Wolf762x51

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Maine
Hey All!

Finally pulled the trigger on by bucket-list rifle and got an AT in .308 last summer. Its had sporadic trips to the range and shot out to 600yd and seemed to do well. Tried to shoot some Hornady Match the other day and the rifle was printing 2in groups. I know rifles can be picky but this was horrendous. Ive printed some 5-shot groups with some leftover 175gr handloads for another rifle and it did okay but nothing to write home about. Should I be worried? Groups were shot at 100yds, the 2in groups were really good trigger presses with a perfectly centered recitcle when the shot broke (love my AG rear bags). Optic is a 4-32 NX8. Im really hoping this is just me because thats the easiest thing to fix. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240125_165733.jpg
    20240125_165733.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20240617_155131.jpg
    20240617_155131.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 135
Hey All!

Finally pulled the trigger on by bucket-list rifle and got an AT in .308 last summer. Its had sporadic trips to the range and shot out to 600yd and seemed to do well. Tried to shoot some Hornady Match the other day and the rifle was printing 2in groups. I know rifles can be picky but this was horrendous. Ive printed some 5-shot groups with some leftover 175gr handloads for another rifle and it did okay but nothing to write home about. Should I be worried? Groups were shot at 100yds, the 2in groups were really good trigger presses with a perfectly centered recitcle when the shot broke (love my AG rear bags). Optic is a 4-32 NX8. Im really hoping this is just me because thats the easiest thing to fix. Thanks!
If it is the brown box Hornady HPBT 168 grain, it is junk. I got a few boxes for free from a friend. When I tried it out of my AT, I was like WTF!!! Luckily I had some FGMM 168 grain with me and fired 2 awesome groups with that.

Switch to Hornady ELD-M or FGMM 168 grain SMK or FGMM 168 grain Tactical tip or FGMM 175 grain SMK.

Reactions: TheDude219
Yes, same box.

Did you clean the rifle or adjust anything otherwise between range sessions?

Usually you don't see drastic changes like that, to include POI shift that much unless something has been altered (I'm assuming that you kept the same zero). Same rest/bag setup?

Were there any drastic conditional changes (temp/wind etc...)?

Did you clean the rifle or adjust anything otherwise between range sessions?

Usually you don't see drastic changes like that, to include POI shift that much unless something has been altered (I'm assuming that you kept the same zero). Same rest/bag setup?

Were there any drastic conditional changes (temp/wind etc...)?
The two pictures are from different days with totally different ammo. The large groups of 5 and 10 had a barrel cleaning in between but everything else the same. Im sure its just a matter of finding what it likes for bullets.

The two pictures are from different days with totally different ammo. The large groups of 5 and 10 had a barrel cleaning in between but everything else the same. Im sure its just a matter of finding what it likes for bullets.

Wait, I might be misunderstanding you (or vice versa)...If it was different ammo that gave you the two different results how was it the same lot/box?

No offense, but looking at group shape of the 175"control" groups, rear bag control, trigger press, and breathing control during shot look a little suspect. Generally if accuracy is effected by bedding/barrel, groups string/shape is consistent. Some groups are diagonal shaped, some are vertical and some is horizontal shaped.

Reactions: Nik H
No offense, but looking at group shape of the 175"control" groups, rear bag control, trigger press, and breathing control during shot look a little suspect. Generally if accuracy is effected by bedding/barrel, groups string/shape is consistent. Some groups are diagonal shaped, some are vertical and some is horizontal shaped.
No ego here boss, youre probably right on. I did invest on a better rear bag so the rifle is now a lot more stable than before, but the past year for me has been mostly rimfires and my Mk12 so its very possible its me. I do think Im better than a 2 MOA shooter off a bench though.

Reactions: 6brshooter
No ego here boss, youre probably right on. I did invest on a better rear bag so the rifle is now a lot more stable than before, but the past year for me has been mostly rimfires and my Mk12 so its very possible its me. I do think Im better than a 2 MOA shooter off a bench though.
Oh it definitely didn't like those Hornady loads. I was basing my claim on the 175gr groups. Not trying to bust your balls, and it was a solid effort. You showed all the groups and didn't cherry pick, so props for that.

Reactions: Wolf762x51
Went out today again with some 168gr GMM, each box was a different lot. Not going to lie, a little disappointed at the performance...

Attachments

• 20240629_135556.jpg
    20240629_135556.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240629_141159.jpg
    20240629_141159.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20240629_135256.jpg
    20240629_135256.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240629_132044.jpg
    20240629_132044.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240629_152017_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629_152017_Chrome.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 69
For an extreme example, look at the rimfire comp guys chasing ammo lot numbers like they are hunting for the Holy Grail.

What a pain!
Dude Ive been chasing those .2 groups that people always show and single-digit SDs for years (see my early posts), and Ive been convinced I just suck and am apparently the only person on the planet that cant shoot or reload. Almost hung it all up and moved on. This may finally free me to just go FUCKING SHOOT.

Reactions: carbonbased
For an extreme example, look at the rimfire comp guys chasing ammo lot numbers like they are hunting for the Holy Grail.

What a pain!
Not that extreme, if you want to shoot the best you gotta test to find the best
IMG_1547.jpeg

Outside of the rimfire necessities, factory ammo is crap and I won’t waste my time shooting it. Not saying I cant load bad ammo myself, I just prefer not to.

Not that extreme, if you want to shoot the best you gotta test to find the best
I was riffing off of @Frank Green ‘s linked post about using different ammo to find what your gun likes.

I just meant that rimfire ammo seems to vary more than centerfire…even the same brand/model of ammo that may have shot well in your rimfire before, might suddenly not.

Thus you have to hunt harder for good rf ammo, as witnessed by your lot testing above.

Whereas a centerfire brand/model of ammo seems to shoot more consistently bad or consistently good in a certain rifle.

Last edited:
Dude Ive been chasing those .2 groups that people always show and single-digit SDs for years (see my early posts), and Ive been convinced I just suck and am apparently the only person on the planet that cant shoot or reload. Almost hung it all up and moved on. This may finally free me to just go FUCKING SHOOT.
What did the targets at 500m and greater look like?

That will determine/tell us whether or not you can shoot or reload, not 100 yard groups and SD/ES (unless your SD is over 40 or some shit, which yours arent)

My local range only goes to 300yd, I can post some pics in the future if youre interested.
My point is, you have a tool designed to shoot well beyond 100m so dont get hung up on "songle digit" SDs and group size at 100m (or any distance) for that matter when shooting .473
bolt face cartridges unless you are competing in bench rest, 1k yard F-class or similar comps.

I dont even keep track of SD for my non-magnums, there's no point. I just look at the target and adjust my load (if in fact that's the problem but usually not) or my fundimentals / wind reading (which is usually the problem when im not shooting as well as I'd like).

Try to find a spot that allows you to stretch its legs...once you're smacking steel at 600,800m etc you'll forget all about concerns over your group sizes (which are fine) and SD (also fine, if that holds steady over a 20-30 shot sample).

Meanwhile, shoot dot drills to take your mind off group size.

My point is, you have a tool designed to shoot well beyond 100m so dont get hung up on "songle digit" SDs and group size at 100m (or any distance) for that matter when shooting .473
bolt face cartridges unless you are competing in bench rest, 1k yard F-class or similar comps.

I dont even keep track of SD for my non-magnums, there's no point. I just look at the target and adjust my load (if in fact that's the problem but usually not) or my fundimentals / wind reading (which is usually the problem when im not shooting as well as I'd like).

Try to find a spot that allows you to stretch its legs...once you're smacking steel at 600,800m etc you'll forget all about concerns over your group sizes (which are fine) and SD (also fine, if that holds steady over a 20-30 shot sample).

Meanwhile, shoot dot drills to take your mind off group size.
Ahhhhhh I get where youre coming from.

If a load don't shoot at 100yds or a shooter can't hold reasonable groups at 100, what type of magic will overcome that at distance? I read plenty of guys say "I don't waste muh time at 100, I shoot long range." Blah, blah, blah. If you can't shoot at 100yds that group is only gonna get worse at distance when you factor shitty numbers and wind into it.

If a load don't shoot at 100yds or a shooter can't hold reasonable groups at 100, what type of magic will overcome that at distance? I read plenty of guys say "I don't waste muh time at 100, I shoot long range." Blah, blah, blah. If you can't shoot at 100yds that group is only gonna get worse at distance when you factor shitty numbers and wind into it.
The magic is in putting a big ol’ piece of steel out there and being happy to hear it go “ding.” Paper is ruthless and tells the hard truth. But, when any hit is a good hit, and there’s no penalty for lobbing half a box of bullets down range to walk in on the target, we’ll there’s your magic…

Don't waste time at 100m unless that is all you have (if so, move). Shoot your groups or dot drills and assess. If you're good with what you see, move on. If not, trouble shoot, fix then move on. No one said anything about not spending any time at all at 100m or ignoring obvious problems on paper when at 100.

There's nothing wrong or bad about the OP's groups in post #21, unless he's competing in events that require the tightest groups possible to have any chance at winning . Too many (esp on here) seem to be letting perfection be the enemy of good, especially if one-hole groups and single-digit SDs arent necessary to meet the shooter's requirements/def for success overall. Its a waste of time, money, ammo/resources.

If OP does require that thing shoot one-hole or cloverleaf groups each and every time then he has more work to do. If not, shoot it at distance and see how the whole system (shooter, ammo, platform) does and go from there.

Don't waste time at 100m unless that is all you have (if so, move). Shoot your groups or dot drills and assess. If you're good with what you see, move on. If not, trouble shoot, fix then move on. No one said anything about not spending any time at all at 100m or ignoring obvious problems on paper when at 100.

There's nothing wrong or bad about the OP's groups in post #21, unless he's competing in events that require the tightest groups possible to have any chance at winning . Too many (esp on here) seem to be letting perfection be the enemy of good, especially if one-hole groups and single-digit SDs arent necessary to meet the shooter's requirements/def for success overall. Its a waste of time, money, ammo/resources.

If OP does require that thing shoot one-hole or cloverleaf groups each and every time then he has more work to do. If not, shoot it at distance and see how the whole system (shooter, ammo, platform) does and go from there.

Wow, try decaf bro. You completely missed the point. If you can't shoot consistently at 100, what's the point of stretching out? More frustration? Big ass piece of steel and lob shit in? Maybe im missing your point, but so far i got "forget 100 and group size or numbers, shoot longer distance!"

• Haha
Reactions: nn8734
Wow, try decaf bro. You completely missed the point. If you can't shoot consistently at 100, what's the point of stretching out? More frustration? Big ass piece of steel and lob shit in? Maybe im missing your point, but so far i got "forget 100 and group size or numbers, shoot longer distance!"
Wow, decaf sucks, bro. But you drink it if you like it.

Reactions: 6brshooter
OP does not print bad at all, he is just caught up in 0.2 groups and single digit sd aids hence we are trying to get him out.

OP shoot longer distances and enjoy your gun man. You are not doing bad at all.

I've said from the beginning, his 175gr groups are acceptable, but fundamentals are a bit shaky as his poi is moving around target (unless there is powder charge changes). A dot drill will get him away from chasing groups and help iron fundamentals out. I would suggest he does that before he jumps put to 7-800 yds. You all carry on.

Hey guys, I really appreciate everyone who has taken time out of their day to offer insight. Im not looking to have my ass kissed or a pat on the head; its just that between starting a buisness, buying a home and raising a kiddo Ive been out of the game for a long time. After getting my dream rifle I really needed a reset from all the cherry-picked groups and SDs on the internet so that I know if somethings wrong or if I need more practice, and what REAL groups typically look like.

I've said from the beginning, his 175gr groups are acceptable, but fundamentals are a bit shaky as his poi is moving around target (unless there is powder charge changes). A dot drill will get him away from chasing groups and help iron fundamentals out. I would suggest he does that before he jumps put to 7-800 yds. You all carry on.
It could very well be, or maybe I forgot to check parallax. (My NF doest have yardage marked out like the Vortex does so dialing it in is sometimes an adventure).

If your 10 round groups are inside of 3/4" with an SD of 11 that gun is going to do everything you want it to do out to 1000+ yards. I don't think I can personally stack consistent 10 round groups inside of 1/2" at 100yds unless it's with my ATX and I really, really take my time. That gun will stack a 10x group inside of a dime or nickel all day long.

I try to remember that I am a practical shooter. 1MOA at 100yds with reloads isn't acceptable to me. But 1/2 MOA gives me some margin of error with whatever variables I may have at distance, including me as the shooter.

Remember that 1MOA is 10" at 1000 yards. That means if I aim at the center on a steel torso, all other variables aside like a wild SD/ES, and assuming my wind is good, I am going to be with a 5" radius. That's vital zone on a lot of different targets.

I have never personally stacked a 5" group at 1000 yards. Maybe some day, but as long as I hit that steel consistently, which is more often a wind issue and not a vertical dispersion issue, I am happy.

It could very well be, or maybe I forgot to check parallax. (My NF doest have yardage marked out like the Vortex does so dialing it in is sometimes an adventure).
Keep in mind that the yd marks aren't always right and can vary day to day via atmospherics. Always verify parallax is dialed out by shifting head around behind scope, NEVER blindly trust parallax yd marks!

Not to be a dick.... but based on the second set of groups you posted it looks like shooter inconsistencies. If you notice you have a lot of 2-3 shots stacked up and then they shift to another location and stack another 2. That's typically from the shooter slightly changing something like body position, bipod pressure, face pressure, etc. If it was purely ammo or gun limits you would see it more sporadic in a group rather than stacking mini groups.

I personally have never got hornady factory to shoot well in any gun and federal has been the better in a wider group of guns but still hardly ever better than 1/2moa, more typically 3/4moa.

To me it looks like the gun is capable with the fgmm loads.

Edit: something to try is do only 3-5rd groups for a bit and really focus on every shot. You should also adjust your scope down 2-3 mils so your group is out of your immediate focus and less distracting. You'll only be focusing on the aim point and not seeing holes. You should also practice taking a shot, getting up and then setting up behind the gun again and taking a shot. Do that 3-5 times to make up a group. It will help pace yourself and learn to have a solid position every time.

Not to be a dick.... but based on the second set of groups you posted it looks like shooter inconsistencies. If you notice you have a lot of 2-3 shots stacked up and then they shift to another location and stack another 2. That's typically from the shooter slightly changing something like body position, bipod pressure, face pressure, etc. If it was purely ammo or gun limits you would see it more sporadic in a group rather than stacking mini groups.

I personally have never got hornady factory to shoot well in any gun and federal has been the better in a wider group of guns but still hardly ever better than 1/2moa, more typically 3/4moa.

To me it looks like the gun is capable with the fgmm loads.

Edit: something to try is do only 3-5rd groups for a bit and really focus on every shot. You should also adjust your scope down 2-3 mils so your group is out of your immediate focus and less distracting. You'll only be focusing on the aim point and not seeing holes. You should also practice taking a shot, getting up and then setting up behind the gun again and taking a shot. Do that 3-5 times to make up a group. It will help pace yourself and learn to have a solid position every time.
Oh I dont think youre being a dick, I asked for input and there it is lol. Next time Ill do prone and really focus in. These 2 sessions were off a bench and it was really uncomfortable, couldnt seem to get my bipod or bags in any comfortable position. Reticle was great and the shots all semed to break dead center but the bags and bench could have really messed things up I suppose.

Oh I dont think youre being a dick, I asked for input and there it is lol. Next time Ill do prone and really focus in. These 2 sessions were off a bench and it was really uncomfortable, couldnt seem to get my bipod or bags in any comfortable position. Reticle was great and the shots all semed to break dead center but the bags and bench could have really messed things up I suppose.
My go to zero is prone with a bipod and bag. Focusing on natural body position, just using the bag for elevation, and pulling straight back with my control hand makes a big difference. I can then replicate off of barricades or tripods. Enjoy the sweet AI!